What is the correlation between income and social isolation?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How much money do you personally make, or if you're supported by someone like your parents, how much

• under $5,000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $5,000 - $12,000

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • $12,000 - $20,000

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • $20,000 - $30,000

• $30,000 - $50,000

• $50,000 - $80,000

• $80,000 - 150,000

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • more than $150,000

• Total voters

FreedomFromLiberty

Reaction score
A lack of money usually compounds a person's problems and helps to prevent people from doing things that they otherwise would do. In my own case, it's stopped me from having a lot of experiences which I think has contributed greatly to my sense of loneliness and isolation. So many times I've had to hear my friends going on vacations and adventures, while my own poor family has barely gotten by month to month and has rarely even gotten out of the house in the last 20 years. Being so sheltered my whole life does nothing to help me socialize and usually makes me very insecure and shy, only furthering my isolation. I've asked myself so many times "Why me?!?!" I suppose you could say that isolation begets isolation. So take the poll and let us know what affect money or a lack thereof has had on your life. Has had a noticable effect on your social life? My parents make between $12,000 and $20,000 in the state of Michigan which is officially below poverty. I personally now make $50,000 which makes me middle class. I'm still lonely at times, but now at least money doesn't have to limit me.

Of course, don't take this to mean that money is a cure-all for all forms of social isolation, but I do believe that as your income class decreases your chances of isolation increase. http://www.allacademic.com/meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation/1/0/3/2/6/p103262_index.html

Those in poverty won't be able to do as much because so many activities cost money. Those who are very wealthy tend to be well-connected and successful which gives them more interesting opportunities for socializing.

For someone like me it's really my own self that causes me to be lonely. I live in a populous city, I can afford to go out, I can afford vacations -- but ultimately I'm a shy quirky introvert that avoids socialization and hasn't made a concerted effort to make friends. Having more money alone won't change that. It does give me more freedom in where I live, which helps since I'm not confined to a cheaper more rural location that would have less opportunities.

I have been lonely half way around the world. I don't know that a trip to Paris is any more of an aid to socializing than the practice you get from a barbecue with the people across the street.

Hi-
I'm not sure there is a connection between income and loneliness. I've been poor and now I can afford to pay my bills even with a high cost of living here in California, yet I don't see any connection between the two. I still pinch pennies and I always find social activites to do for free or very low cost. It's as simple as buying the local paper for $0.75 and looking at the calendar of events.
Even if there is a correlation between income and loneliness, that doesn't necessarily mean causation. Those are two different things. Everyone who ate fried chicken in 1867 is dead, but that doesn't mean they all died from eating fried chicken.

-Teresa

Poverty does have an effect on social interaction.

At my poorest, I could afford rent, electric and cable. I couldn't afford a car, couldn't afford the bus, couldn't afford food half the time, didn't have any money left after those three bills and some ramen noodle. I was definitely isolated. People found my life too depressing to be around me. I couldn't afford to go out with them, and couldn't afford to feed them if they came over. And if they were smokers, it was awkward because I was probably out.

it definitely can play a factor in it. i usually make around 15K a year. between the 3 of us that live here though we probably make between 40K-50K a year. we are still always broke as hell and barely getting by though. around here it seems that people usually meet and hang out regularly in bars or club type bars. if you dont have the money to regularly go out to places like that and drink your kinda screwed because there isnt much else to do here. but thats not my scene anyway so it doesnt really matter.

Latest posts

Back