Does therapy help?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T. classic

Reaction score
To those of you who have gone to therapy, do you find it helpful in overcoming emotional obstacles in your life? i'm considering seeking it myself, but i'm not sure it would be effective, and I tend to induldge in misanthropy whenever people fail me, so I wouldn't want to lose any more faith in those around me because one who is trained in therapy fails to help me out.

Yes.

Therapy has helped me get over two phobias and now is helping me make friends :)

I guess it all depends how lucky you are in finding a good one and what kind of issues you are trying to overvcome. If you decide to go for it I would advise you to have a clear goal in mind of what is you want to accomplish and talk to her/him about it. My first therapist was really good at putting things in perspective for me and help me out see things in a different way that I otherwise would've never thought of. It was very painful to deal with some stuff from the past, sometimes I would cry for no apparent reason, she mentioned it was all part of the therapy and I believe it did help me. I really liked her, unfortunately she moved out of state and I wasn't able to see her anymore. I later tried other therapists but I didn't find them as helpful.

The thing about therapy is that it's not about the therapist helping you, it's about you learning to help yourself. That's something that I was reminded of after wasting hundreds of dollars sitting in a therapists office waiting for her to tell me what to do. It's your job to explore those emotional obstacles and to PRACTICE what was talked about in the sessions. Think of a therapist as an assistant - you have the ideas and it's their job to assist but ultimately, it's your project and you're responsible for the outcome.

I'm not saying to not listen to what they say, but if you do decide to get therapy then make sure you know what you're going there to achieve (unlike me who sat there and complained about my miserable life until I just couldn't care any less).

I agree with what every poster before me has said. But the most important factors to successful therapy is YOUR willingness and desire to be honest with the therapist and for YOU to work the program to recovery in whatever therapy path you select. Sometimes you have to try a few different ones to find the, "right fit" for you. Best of luck in your efforts... :)

My therapist helps me set goals.

But I've gone in there with a goal which is very important to make progress. If you have no goal, then you'll just sit there and complain about anything in your head. o___- very counterproductive.

My problem is that i'm afraid I'm going to judge them when we first meet, and no doubt I'll come to the conclusion that he/she is a moron (they may not be and for all intents and purposes probably aren't, but I probably won't be able to distinguish between them. I have a competition in me. I want no one else to succeed. I hate most people, there are times when I, I look at people and see nothing worth liking. I see the worst in people. I don't need to look past seeing them to get all I need. I've built up my hatreds over the years, little by little.) How can I put my faith in someone I think is stupid?

It's pathetic, but such is life

T, Classic--
If you've enough clarity to recognize the feelings or "competion within you" and be able to distinguish the fact that those feelings are holding you back and making your world less than pleasurable, you might just have the strength and ability to keep them in check for a bit and fully explain your feelings to a Doctor. Even your regular GP could work with you to a certain point and maybe get you on some meds that would take the edge off and allow you to open up to a therapist or psychiatrist. It might be worth looking into because the world is a hard place to navigate when you hate everyone....I'm wishing you the best of luck with this.

I'm not one for therapy. Maybe I'm too old fashioned. But, it does work for some people. I agree with saying you have to be willing. You have to also help yourself before someone else can help you. Be open-minded to the idea at least. And it doesn't always work instantly. Give it some time.

Meh, it was a quote from 'There Will Be Blood'. An embellishment of myself to say the least.

I don't think my gp would be any good though, he usually rushes his patients out the door

T. classic said:
Meh, it was a quote from 'There Will Be Blood'. An embellishment of myself to say the least.

I don't think my gp would be any good though, he usually rushes his patients out the door

Then get another gp. :/

Latest posts

Back