Clear Facial Skin :)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

The following may gross you out, so, my apologies if it does.

For the first time in years though, my facial skin is clear. I used to pick at any irregularities in my skin. It was a self-soothing sort of thing, sometimes I did it out of boredom as well.

The correct medical term for it is Dermatilia I think. It is an odd behavior that some people have.

Apparently though, ever since I've started on a skin-care routine, my face has cleared up. Before, I would just use soap. Now, my face isnt oily and it's clear.

Honestly, it makes me so happy. How socially awkward/weird do you think it was for other people to see me doing it, in public even?

Ew.

I've noticed, that when I would reach up to do it after I started my face-skin care routine, that I'd notice the texture of my skin was different and that (strange enough) made me not want to pick at it.

I was ashamed of it for years, and my family kept telling me "Dont do that to your face."

I tried keeping my hands busy, via soft putty-like substances. That didnt work.

But apparently taking care of my skin has worked!

THis has been going on for hmm...i'd say 4 years.

Now I'm finally rid of the disgusting habit.

So HOORAY for this!

Congrats, Soph!

I'm so glad you've been able to get rid of the habit and that your face is clear :)
Dermatillomania and trichtillomania are hard habits to kick - but they aren't as uncommon as you might think.

Thank you everyone. It's been a long-road and I hope this disgusting habit is gone for good. :(

I still do it to other parts of my body, like my upper-arms, where I have Keratosis Pilaris. It's a common skin condition that causes bumpy skin. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keratosis_pilaris

So I'm going to try and get that area under control next. I just went out and bought an exfoliating wash to try and treat my upper arms. I already put a lightly acidic lotion on them once a day to try and eat away at the skin, but i thought exfoliation might help further since the skin on my upper arms seems thick for some reason.

Anyway, I can cover up my arms and have worn long sleeved shirts even in the summer to prevent access to my arm-skin.

I cant cover up my face. So the fact that I've stopped picking my face, a very visible part of my body, is an important victory to me.

P.S. Shells was right in saying the condition is Dermatillomania.

Here's a Website on Dermatillomania: http://www.brainphysics.com/skin-picking.php

Sean said:
Yay!

:D

I wish my face would clear up 100% :(.

Do you have it too?

i'm very happy your making it through:) i went through some very similar things, that were beyond me, very beyond me at the time, but somehow, anyways, made it through. its over.

good luck Soph, and thanks again for your help also.

Fair play! Good for you! if it's something you can work on and you are doing that's ace. But also - I'm not belittling u or anything - better off without it, but I'd sleep with someone that had that - doesn't look that off putting really.I had psioris (can't spell it) for quite a bit and when it was really severe it wasn't much fun. All gone now tho.

Latest posts

Back