Please do not end guest posting

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Dear Bjarne,

I am not the misguided individual who has been posting today (as I'm sure you can tell somehow). I would urge you not to end guest posting. Members are complaining elsewhere about problems about guests and debates and so forth. If the members would "not feed the trolls" the demented individuals would be discouraged from posting. But today the troll seems to have been well-fed by the members. In particular, as she has done in the past, lonelygirl has responded and thereby encouraged the silly posts.

I have posted here on this forum off and on, and the response has been mostly kind and welcoming. But whenever I have dared to disagree with lonelygirl, she has usually responed with abuse and cursing. You can see this, for example, on the "Are you easily offended?" thread (my last post on that thread is the one that points out that she is insulting me, not I her; I am not the other guest posts.) For the record, I am also "Second Guest" from the now infamous thread "So pissed off tonight! Lonely people disappointing me." lonelygirl abused me and other guests in that thread as well.

You have an excellent forum and I and others thank you for all your effort in maintaining it. It is your choice how to run the forum, and we all respect that, but I would seriously consider urging lonelygirl to treat others with more respect, even if we disagree with her, and even if we are simply guests.

(I will not post in this thread again, so any other "guest" posts are not from me!)

I certainly am not perfect, and if I have ever posted anything wrong or offensive I apologize to all.

Thank you for your time.

A flood protection and image verification would suffice i believe. It's not many who'd sit and wait for three minutes to try and spam something, especially not when there are moderators around.

Guest, i respect Your opinion and agree with You, but think about it; if You registered, with no information at all in Your profile, the only thing You would reveal to others is when YOU are posting and not any of the other guests. Considering what happened yesterday, that might be a good idea anyhow, don't You agree? There is no real point in posting as a guest time after time; You can be perfectly anonymous anyway (and even invisible to any others).

I think I'd want to agree with Guest about keeping the thread available. Many members started out as Guests, roaming the site, possibly even posting as a Guest, just to see what kind of response they would receive before attempting to be a member. If this had been a forum about anything not as fragile as an emotion, then I wouldn't think it necessary to have open threads, but if the door isn't open somewhere, there are a lot who may never come in, and they need to be here just as much as any one else. Unfortunately, it does put a lot of work onto Bjarne with the clean up, but he does a great job.

Guest said:
Dear Bjarne,

I am not the misguided individual who has been posting today (as I'm sure you can tell somehow). I would urge you not to end guest posting. Members are complaining elsewhere about problems about guests and debates and so forth. If the members would "not feed the trolls" the demented individuals would be discouraged from posting. But today the troll seems to have been well-fed by the members. In particular, as she has done in the past, lonelygirl has responded and thereby encouraged the silly posts.

I have posted here on this forum off and on, and the response has been mostly kind and welcoming. But whenever I have dared to disagree with lonelygirl, she has usually responed with abuse and cursing. You can see this, for example, on the "Are you easily offended?" thread (my last post on that thread is the one that points out that she is insulting me, not I her; I am not the other guest posts.) For the record, I am also "Second Guest" from the now infamous thread "So pissed off tonight! Lonely people disappointing me." lonelygirl abused me and other guests in that thread as well.

You have an excellent forum and I and others thank you for all your effort in maintaining it. It is your choice how to run the forum, and we all respect that, but I would seriously consider urging lonelygirl to treat others with more respect, even if we disagree with her, and even if we are simply guests.

(I will not post in this thread again, so any other "guest" posts are not from me!)

I certainly am not perfect, and if I have ever posted anything wrong or offensive I apologize to all.

Thank you for your time.

Guest, I had actually made my last intended post earlier today but your appeal caught my attention and I would like to forward a few thoughts on the matter (it might be an idea to stick the kettle on before you continue you reading this, if indeed you even wish to).

This site amongst other things operates as a nexus for those who’s social needs are, for whatever reason being neglected. For many members it may provide the first taste they have had at merging with a community in a long time. Of course this inevitably leads to the formation of clique groups after people have discovered which other users they like or share the most common ground with.

Ironic isn’t it? How people congregate to avoid isolation yet as soon as they find themselves joining a large flock, the process of division begins almost immediately.

Anyhow I’m digressing and I’m not telling you anything that you are not already aware of.

In some cases - particularly those who suffer from chronic shyness - it is a massive step to submit an online identity. Once they have done this and become part of the fold so to speak, the idea of an anonymous person who can just materialize at leisure and throw in their tuppence worth without adhering to any code of formality, can be rather intrusive. I’m not blaming you for this by any means (as it happens I actually think you come across as, refined, articulate and someone generally worthwhile) but that - coupled with some of the obscene material that has been filtered in by guests - is a reason why guest posters can sometimes be regarded with suspicion.

A few weeks ago I myself did something distinctly uncool, which was to publicly rave about Lonelygirl whatever my feelings towards her at the time, that is not the way things are done. However the main catalyst for my outburst was the fact that she had actually asked me if I had been posing as a guest - I have many, many faults but duplicity is not one of them and the mere accusation infuriated me – though if it were to happen again I think I would adopt a more philosophical overview. I was thoroughly relieved when I found out that Bjarne was able to trace the ISP of a user because I knew that would be concrete proof that I was not responsible for posting under any other name than Tony30. Until then, I had to suffer the possibility that there would be some who had me down as a trickster or worse still a deviant. That was deeply unpleasant (although I didn’t assist my cause by blowing up in that now legendary thread) and as I see it a pitfall in the whole guest poster system.

Conversely, I do recognize that there may be some who are in such dire straights that it may be vital that they are able to get their story across with no rigmarole, in the most dramatic case it could even avert a suicide.

Just an opinion.

Tony30! I'm not ready for you to leave.

I need you to be here, not two ships passing in the night!

Latest posts

Back