Unhappy and scared.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VomitingWinter115

Reaction score
Lately I've been feeling down. I left school to do online schooling, which is turning out great, but the reason I left is because of my social anxiety and my fear to talk to people and I always wish that would change but for some reason it won't. I've got a wonderful girlfriend, and I've got a best friend. Downside is they live an hour away now, so I get to see them only sometimes. Ever since I've been doing home school all I hear from my brother is how I'm a loser, and that I'm stupid for doing home school and that I'll never get anywhere and I always get afraid that he's right. I'm not able to drive yet, but I will be in a few months, so I'm hoping that changes things a bit, by being able to get out.. But I'm always afraid of turning out alone. I just feel caught up in emotions lately. I'm afraid of rejection, I'm afraid of not fitting in, when I was in Freshman year I got picked on almost every day of that year and all the feelings come rushing back. I feel like a loser because I left school because of what other people had said to me.. I just want to be the strong one in everyones eyes.

Home-schoolers aren't failures. If you're doing your work, you're doing the same thing that you would be doing in public school, but without all the torment. I, too, left public school towards the end of my high schooling years to be home-schooled because I couldn't deal with all the stuff I had to put up with there all the time. In fact, I did a better job because I didn't have to deal with people picking on me on a regular basis, so I could actually concentrate on achieving something academically, rather than being controlled by those anxieties and fears that I faced every day. I'm sorry that you're being picked on at home as well.

The other thing I will tell you is that your post makes you sound really timid. Unfortunately, people like to pounce on that the moment they see it. I know that you can't just snap out of those anxieties, I have had and still have a lot of them myself, but that's why you need to fake being more confident. Make sure you look everyone in the face and whenever someone insults you, try to insult them back. I don't know why, but most human beings try to test and see how much they can take advantage of the people around them and if it's a lot, they often tend to become really abusive towards that person. So a lot of really nice people get taken advantage of.

I know exactly how this advice sounds to you because I've been in your shoes before, but it'll help you if you can do it. I've gotten better at it and people pick on me less than they used to. And let me tell you, I fake it A WHOLE LOT. Sometimes people start calling me names and inside my heart is pounding and I feel like running and like I'm the biggest loser ever, but then I turn that feeling into false bravado and just yell at them back and they often don't see through me.

It also helps being around older adults more often and trying to befriend them, which I did as well because they are much more mature, in general, than people your age and will probably think your kind nature is refreshing rather than something they need to take advantage of.

But don't give up or let your fears control you. I'm glad that you're here and trying to reach out to people. Because fear or rejection just guarantees you'll be alone. Yea, it's scary to face it, but there's no other way to have people in your life. Good luck with everything. And you're not a loser.

I'm sorry to hear that you have such problems, but you should not forgot that we are all alike, regardless of financial situation, we all have problems, frustrations, dissatisfactions and fears.We are humans, we are so complex. Fear, anger, emotions, doubts are emotions generated by us. It's all about us and how we express our feelings.

You are NOT a loser for doing homeschool at all. Some people do better on online classes. I take AP Lit online, and I love it, it works better, and you can work independently. Whoever is saying stuff about you obviously has self-esteem issues.

You've got a girl and a best friend, theres a good plus right there, and you'll be driving soon.

My advice would to be to look at the positive things that are happening, you like your home schooling, you got wonderful people in your life, youre going to be driving soon.

Who cares what those people have to say? You got wonderful people already :)

Tell your brother you have a buddy who left to do home schooling, finished with a GED, and now gets to work on an ambulance and is attending college.

I'm the buddy. And if you're on track to get an actual diploma and you have a girlfriend, you're obviously doing better than I was at that point, so don't sweat it ;)

He's probably just jealous because he still has to go to some honeysuckle-hole public school.

Just know that you -will- eventually have to be able to socialize and communicate with people. But things work differently in the adult world and I was able to pick it up with a little hard-headedness after a long series of shy teenage years, so you can too.

Thank you everyone, it really means a lot. :)
I've started to think about the positives and it helps me feel a lot better about it!

VomitingWinter115 said:
Thank you everyone, it really means a lot. :)
I've started to think about the positives and it helps me feel a lot better about it!

Glad to hear that :).

It's all about perspective. You are getting your diploma and will in a few months time have more freedom. It's when you get caught up in the here and now, losing sight of the bigger picture, that things seem to look bleak for you. Remember that.

Latest posts

Back