Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
What's so wrong about suicide?
Nothing wrong about suicide. Nothing good about it. Nobody really benefits.

What makes me so angry about suicides these days? People will gain so much attention from it or attempting it. Amanda Todd for example. She flashed herself online and got HERSELF into some trouble. Committed suicide because of it.

It is sad that she committed suicide, but why does she get ALL this attention??? There are plenty of other kids who are living much worse lives than her who have committed suicide or are still living with it. Why does Amanda Todd get so much attention but these other kids are not recognized?
Uhm..... I think it is the flashing(showing breasts???) that she is most remembered for, and not the suicide. Don't let it fool you.

Suicide being right and wrong, is an opinion, but I believe it to be wrong, as well as counterproductive. You're also letting society defeat you.

Stand firm, don't be anyone's door stomp. Live for yourself.
The probability of suicide being good is about the same as the probability of suicide being bad, but only if "good" and "bad" exist.
I think it's the worst a human can possibly feel in order to be in the suicidal state of mind. It takes enough of all the worst feelings, experiences and physical/emotional pain to over-ride our capacity to deal with pain for someone to eventually commit suicide. Therefore, I think we should all do the best we can as human beings to support one another in these times so no one has to feel there is no other alternative. Ultimately, yes, I believe the individual has a freedom of choice but it would be such a waste if they actually could find another way. I will always be there for someone who is going through such pain, because it hurts so much.
It's sad, that the thread starter is not around anymore. Thank you, Luna, for creating this thread. I wish we could talk... ( Luna, if you ever visit this forum again and see my post by chance, I would be glad if you sent me a PM or an Email. )

In German you can translate suicide as Suizid, but also as Freitod, and I prefer the latter word.
Frei = free, Tod = death. The meaning is death by choice, by free will.
The accent is not on the act of ending own life, but on the choice, decision to end it.

Why would one decide to end own life?
But we can also ask "Why does one continue living?"
Many people continue living because they fear death,
or fear a punishment in the afterlife for ending own life,
or fear to leave their family without support,
or fear the trauma, psychological harm to family and friends,
or fear, that the suicide attempt fails, the suffering, agony before the death, the terrible sight for whoever finds the body etc.
But all these are negative reasons. People can't end their life out of fear.

I don't adjudge it,
and some of the above are pretty honorable reasons - such as responsibility for the family, and especially children, but at least I feel that it's sad.

I think, at very least if you're alone, you have the right to choose to continue living or to die based on positive reasons or lack of such reasons, or, more precisely, based on the balance and expectation of what is likely to come.

One of the most common reasons to judge suicide as "always wrong" is that indeed no one can be 100% sure, that they don't feel better later. But why do we disregard living with a balance below 0 as a valid reason for not wanting to live?
What if every day you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this day?
If every week you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this week?
If every year you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this year?
If year after year whenever you look back at your whole life, all the good and the bad, and wouldn't mind to have never been born?

"What do you have to lose?" one might ask.
"Having lived yet another year with a balance below 0 is bad enough" I would answer.
But there's actually something worse. Where does all this bad energy (living with a balance below 0) goes?
I would cautiously guess: Your soul rots. And it's a process that can't be reverted. You lose your innocence, your dreams, your passion, at some point maybe even your conscience, your humanity. Your heart may become poisoned to the point, where you wouldn't mind if aliens invade earth and exterminate all humans or a full scape nuclear war begins. Or you may just take a gun and start killing people, much like the characters in "God Bless America" (I strongly suggest to watch it, if someone didn't yet).

The last 21 (or even 31) years changed me not for the best, and I mean not only the looks.
And I do not want to change so much, that don't even realize it.
I do not want to change in such a way, that my current and future situation feels "good" or even just "OK".

Let me ask you:
If you knew, that you will become insane (permanently) at some point in the future, and you can't avert it - wouldn't you wish that your life ends before this?
For me even becoming "normal", "like others" is akin to insanity. I don't want to change, and hope to be able to end my life before it happens.

I am enchanted by the youth, the mere fact that I'm 42 already causes sufferance for me (even though I'd say I look rather young for my age). If I had children, I'm pretty sure, that I'd see my future, my repeating youth in them (at least to an extent). Perhaps even not in my children, but in their children, or children of their children. Or not even see, but just hope for it. My descendant, a boy or a girl, a bit sensitive like me, yet luckier than me, enjoying their life… With this hope I would feel better. But I'm alone, and it's very unlikely, that I'll ever find a significant other. I'm just too different, too strange, too alien...

---
I’ve read the whole thread and liked quite a few posts. But the posts may be too old to quote, and I'm not sure if the authors would appreciate it if I quoted them. Yet I would like to thank especially Luna, blackdot, thegreyman, Bones, Paramedic21, HermesReborn, stuff4096, JasonM, Lone Apothecary, lifewasterdaydreamer, Smokey, MTrip for their stance and the courage to post it.

---
Note: Obviously, I’ve no immediate suicidal intentions. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here, looking like-minded people, friends, a significant other.
(12-27-2014, 05:05 AM)Brightshadow Wrote: It's sad, that the thread starter is not around anymore. Thank you, Luna, for creating this thread. I wish we could talk... ( Luna, if you ever visit this forum again and see my post by chance, I would be glad if you sent me a PM or an Email. )

In German you can translate suicide as Suizid, but also as Freitod, and I prefer the latter word.
Frei = free, Tod = death. The meaning is death by choice, by free will.
The accent is not on the act of ending own life, but on the choice, decision to end it.

Why would one decide to end own life?
But we can also ask "Why does one continue living?"
Many people continue living because they fear death,
or fear a punishment in the afterlife for ending own life,
or fear to leave their family without support,
or fear the trauma, psychological harm to family and friends,
or fear, that the suicide attempt fails, the suffering, agony before the death, the terrible sight for whoever finds the body etc.
But all these are negative reasons. People can't end their life out of fear.

I don't adjudge it,
and some of the above are pretty honorable reasons - such as responsibility for the family, and especially children, but at least I feel that it's sad.

I think, at very least if you're alone, you have the right to choose to continue living or to die based on positive reasons or lack of such reasons, or, more precisely, based on the balance and expectation of what is likely to come.

One of the most common reasons to judge suicide as "always wrong" is that indeed no one can be 100% sure, that they don't feel better later. But why do we disregard living with a balance below 0 as a valid reason for not wanting to live?
What if every day you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this day?
If every week you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this week?
If every year you look back and wouldn't mind to have never lived this year?
If year after year whenever you look back at your whole life, all the good and the bad, and wouldn't mind to have never been born?

"What do you have to lose?" one might ask.
"Having lived yet another year with a balance below 0 is bad enough" I would answer.
But there's actually something worse. Where does all this bad energy (living with a balance below 0) goes?
I would cautiously guess: Your soul rots. And it's a process that can't be reverted. You lose your innocence, your dreams, your passion, at some point maybe even your conscience, your humanity. Your heart may become poisoned to the point, where you wouldn't mind if aliens invade earth and exterminate all humans or a full scape nuclear war begins. Or you may just take a gun and start killing people, much like the characters in "God Bless America" (I strongly suggest to watch it, if someone didn't yet).

The last 21 (or even 31) years changed me not for the best, and I mean not only the looks.
And I do not want to change so much, that don't even realize it.
I do not want to change in such a way, that my current and future situation feels "good" or even just "OK".

Let me ask you:
If you knew, that you will become insane (permanently) at some point in the future, and you can't avert it - wouldn't you wish that your life ends before this?
For me even becoming "normal", "like others" is akin to insanity. I don't want to change, and hope to be able to end my life before it happens.

I am enchanted by the youth, the mere fact that I'm 42 already causes sufferance for me (even though I'd say I look rather young for my age). If I had children, I'm pretty sure, that I'd see my future, my repeating youth in them (at least to an extent). Perhaps even not in my children, but in their children, or children of their children. Or not even see, but just hope for it. My descendant, a boy or a girl, a bit sensitive like me, yet luckier than me, enjoying their life… With this hope I would feel better. But I'm alone, and it's very unlikely, that I'll ever find a significant other. I'm just too different, too strange, too alien...

---
I’ve read the whole thread and liked quite a few posts. But the posts may be too old to quote, and I'm not sure if the authors would appreciate it if I quoted them. Yet I would like to thank especially Luna, blackdot, thegreyman, Bones, Paramedic21, HermesReborn, stuff4096, JasonM, Lone Apothecary, lifewasterdaydreamer, Smokey, MTrip for their stance and the courage to post it.

---
Note: Obviously, I’ve no immediate suicidal intentions. Otherwise I wouldn’t be here, looking like-minded people, friends, a significant other.

Danke, Brightshadow. This post has so much insight and unconventional wisdom in it. By unconventional, I mean that very few would have the guts to speak it, and that is one of the many reasons I love your post !

I am 33 years old myself. I can related to your "below 0 balance" state, because I am in it right now.

One of my favorite German words is "Waldeinsamkeit" (solitude of the forest, for non-German speakers)   Smile

Are you familiar with the case of the suicide of Hans Peter Z in Germany ?
(10-16-2010, 01:55 PM)downbythebay Wrote: Because no matter who you are, how many years you've been around, whatever knowledge you know, doesn't matter - NOBODY KNOWS for sure what comes after death.  Looking for a final escape from what you're going through now?  I would advise against seeking it through death because you may find yourself in something more horrific than anything conceivable in life.  I'm not talking hell or punishment for sins, etc, I am just saying who knows what's next, nothing is for certain.  Perhaps it's just unimaginable darkness and horror that awaits.  Be honest with yourself, we have no idea.  At least here on earth you know there exists the states of happy and sad, and you could continue on and be guaranteed a shot at achieving happiness. I say this as one who has gone through suicidal episodes and may in the future, who knows, but when I think logically this is the answer I've got for you.

THIS. 

Hamlet, in 21st century parlance.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Legalized Assisted Suicide - Do you agree? SofiasMami 55 6,878 02-24-2017, 01:32 AM
Last Post: Mandyman
  Canada Allows Assisted Suicide JHK 4 1,013 02-11-2015, 05:57 AM
Last Post: Solivagant
  Should verbal bullying be punished if the victim commited suicide? Naleena 17 5,885 09-15-2013, 01:31 AM
Last Post: a lonely person
  What's wrong with the toothpaste? iris 6 1,408 10-08-2012, 01:13 AM
Last Post: Felix
  Suicide in Japan Parabolani 20 3,759 10-04-2012, 02:48 AM
Last Post: Walley
  The Greater Wrong of the Right Phaedron 3 1,053 04-15-2012, 11:48 PM
Last Post: Barbaloot
  Big Bang theory proven wrong Phaedron 9 5,035 01-04-2012, 02:47 PM
Last Post: Felix
  Darwinism proven wrong? Phaedron 71 8,333 04-20-2011, 02:41 AM
Last Post: INTERPOL
  Malaysia's drive to tackle rising suicide Caesium 9 2,280 03-28-2009, 05:52 AM
Last Post: Bluey