Middle-Aged, Disconnected and Invisible

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Change

Reaction score
I sometimes just want to give up, on trying to find friends, all I see is back end of people, they move or I am forced to move away. I wish I had never left my old small town, while things were not perfect there, people talked to me, and went I went to groups I was not ostracized, and cut off. It is like I do not even exsist here. The people treat me so terribly, I am disabled and poor, and while last town was working class the town here are snobs. Living here has really affected my self esteem badly, I do not know what to do, I tried everything, working around my health, going to clubs meetings, groups of interests, etc. Nothing worked. I am sick but I am not dead. I talk for hours on phone with long distance friends, but have spent 4 years alone here, I can go literally months without seeing one friend or family member. I am married but he has his own interests and we almost ended up divorced and he does not spend any time with me anymore. I almost divorced him to go back to my old town, but with lack of money and health, have been afraid to. We live more like roommates now, due to really bad finances. He doesnt need people the same way, and never understood why I missed old folks, but then my last small town, is almost a ghost town and scared of the economy too. I am tired of spending life alone, or just talking to voices on the phone. Is it normal to have your social life via the internet? I do not think so, half of my friends have never even seen me in the real world. I am middle aged too, its like I am going to grow old and because I didnt have children and family scattered to ever town, and lost my old small town I lived in for ten years, now I have no one. I am not an important integral part of anyone's life. Feel like I am invisible.

Hi-
I'm sorry you're having a hard time and that you feel invisible. I hope things will get better for you :)
Nice to meet you, by the way!

Teresa

I'm sorry. I've an old family that owns a 200 year old billion dollar foundation that essentially gives people homes, kids scholarships and what not. We'd NEVER behave as snobs! The snobs in my experience are the bourgeoisie class. My father chose not to be controlled by the family estate up north and made himself a millionaire by age 30 here in Fort Lauderdale and I made 100k/year from 20-22.

I'm 25 now and have recurring bursitis of the hips, fibromyalgia, neuropathies and of course depression. If anyone is sympathetic to how so many wealthy people, typically the bourgeoisie are snobs it is me. Dad was determined to be self-made and so am I but am held back by health problems. The friends loved the limos, dinners, nights out on the town when I had more than I needed but now, they won't even take a 15 minute drive to visit me. One I was very close with for over a year lived so far, I'd drive him when it was just us to do dancing since he is an abuser of substances, he couldn't drive himself back or didn't want to spend his money on gas. Now he won't take an hour to, including driving time to pay me a visit in my new home. A phone call? Nope. I got him his first job. His mother loved me for taking care of him as he was adopted and mentally ill as those adopted kids so often tend to be. He was like my little brother (barren mom) and I protected him from those who would take advantage of him as the mentally ill are so frequently victims of.

Read on:

“Loneliness is the universal problem of rich people.” ~ Joan Collins

People see me, a 25 year old whose had an illustrious life as a model, a professional in business (CEO), an IQ that I'm told by the psychologist is about my weight but I suffer from horrendous nerve pain/fibromyalgia since 2008 and so I feel invisible. Socially I adapt and attract people but the difference in intelligence, too many accomplishments, philanthropy all make me quite invisible.

Like my mother who passed last November said on more than one occasion, "I don't see the world as others do," and I don't either. I see it as it is. I see people for who they are too and most look all the same. The close friends I spoiled at 20 don't sympathize with the pain that keeps me from being able to travel much.

Latest posts

Back