Internet dating makes my head hurt

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neozoro

Reaction score
I started chatting to this girl on a dating site (plentyoffish), it's progressed a bit and after a few msn convo's I got her facebook page. I really have no idea what to do now though. I assume she might like me as she was the one who first messaged me, and so far hasn't blanked/ignored me yet. Should I ask her to go out for a few drinks or something, or should I wait a bit longer.
As you can tell I'm really inexperienced in this sort of situation...

Well its a dating site so YES you should! You are both looking for a date, you've already talked a bit, now its time to get out there. Ask her out, or else she'll think you lost interest. Go!

trZ said:
Well its a dating site so YES you should! You are both looking for a date, you've already talked a bit, now its time to get out there. Ask her out, or else she'll think you lost interest. Go!

Exactly. Not familiar with dating sites, but I'd think it wouldn't be much different from real life. It's time to ask her out. Do it. No need to hurt your head, just do it.

Dude, ask her to coffee! Now!

Just do it. You have nothing to lose. Coffee is a good first date for three reasons:

1. It's inexpensive and low-stress, and lets you talk.
2. If you don't hit it off, you slug down your Americano asap and invent a reason to leave.
3. If you do hit it off, you go for a walk after and end things on a fond note until next time.

I've been on a couple of dates with girls from the internet and it's not that scary after the first one. Trust me, brotha.

You have a Naruto avatar, what could possibly go wrong :| ! Just kidding but yea you should just go for it, nothing to lose! She sure didn't signed up there for nothing!
Good luck :)

'You have a Naruto avatar, what could possibly go wrong :|'
Love this lol, anyway cheers for the advice everyone, guess I'll just have to take the risk

Neozoro said:
'You have a Naruto avatar, what could possibly go wrong :|'
Love this lol, anyway cheers for the advice everyone, guess I'll just have to take the risk

Exactly. Besides, if she says no or does not respond, then it may be time to move on (I assume that you are not just looking for a pen pal). You do not need to be pushy about it, but if things seem to be going well, then make a move. I have been in a situation where all we ever did was e-mail. Needless to say, she got bored and stopped responding. Do not let that happen to you. Good luck!

Hmm okay I dunno what to make of this response:
In the conversation she said that she liked me, was confused why I didn't have a girlfriend, and agreed to meet up sometime. We traded numbers, but she then said that she was away visiting the family at the weekend and kind of agreed to meet next week.
I really have no idea how to proceed. I'm thinking that if I talk to her on msn everyday I'll start to seem kinda desperate, but if I do nothing like stuf4096 said she may lose interest...
(oh i'm 18 btw)
thoughts?

Don't talk to her every day! Try keeping from talking to her more than maybe twice a week, and it should be in real life. She won't lose interest if you stay cool. If anything it will raise her interest.

I'm kind of worried that she flaked out on you, thats not good. But then again it might be true. My suggestion here is - Let her call you, if she doesn't, she's not interested and you move on with your life. If she calls you, play it from there. But just don't be pushy.

By the way "kind of agreed to meet next week"? What does this mean?

trZ said:
Hmm, I don't know man, it doesn't sound too good. Back off and let her call you.

I agree with most of what trZ said. You should certainly not be hounding her when you know she is going to be away. I would give her some time once she returns to make the call. If she does not call you, you could try to call her ONCE. If you happen to get sent to voicemail, leave a message but do not call back after that. My rule is no more than one outstanding message at a time. If you do not end up with firm plans to go out, then it will probably not happen

Right Updates if you're interested
I was online today and she started talking to me instead of the other way round, so I talked back and now we've been chatting for an hour or so, I get the feeling that she likes me but what should I do now. Continue with casual conversations or arrange a fixed date to meet?
Btw thanks for all the advice, it's really useful to a naruto nerd like me lol

Be cool when chatting to her, let her write to you and let her ask you out. If she does, take her up on her offer but relax, let her arrange the next one. If the date goes great, and she after the date wants to arrange a new one, say you'll get back to her about that (you need to check your schedule, which is at work!). Then, wait a week and call her up about it.

The most important part here is self control, you don't want to rush into anything here. Chill out, let her come to you.

Latest posts

Back