Potential New Position...on the other end of the State

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T

Tex Is Lost

A friend of mine just got a job as the Assistant Regional Director in one of the regions in our "company". He offered to help me get a position there at the regional HQ.

The thing is, its all the way on the other side of the state. If you have ever been to the Republic of Texas, you'll know how big a move that is.

Now I am interested, but there are two big issues.

1. Do I want to uproot my kids from where they have been most of their lives? My daughter is 15 and my son is 13. My daughter would probably be OK but my son might be a bit anxious about it.

2. The whole idea of me doing this scares the honeysuckle out of me. I mean it absolutely terrifies me. I'm getting nauseous just writing about it. I have no experience what so ever in that part of the state. I don't know ANYONE there except my friend. And the "company" there is a lot different than where I am now. A whole different atmosphere and culture if you will.

So, what are you asking Tex? I don't know.

Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

I would be concerned about uprooting the 15 year old because of school issues. I'm not sure how standardized the classes are across Texas at the high school level. For example, if one school teaches American History at Sophomore level and another teaches World History at Sophomore level it could be an abrupt transition. Some of her current elective courses may not be offered at the new school and identical courses may be at different points in the curriculum. When I was in high school we had some classes that barely made it through half the textbook and others that stuck to a rigid schedule. It can be difficult to 'catch up' depending on the circumstances, especially if this move is going to come mid-year. High school is important because colleges will want to see grades and bad performance one year could lead to not being placed in "advanced" classes the next year.

The 13 year old may be anxious, but who isn't if they're moving to a new school? I know, I was uprooted across Texas 3 times as a child. He'll manage.

As for you, don't worry too much about moving. It's not uncommon for me to move 1000+ miles on a whim more or less. I never know anyone either. It's not so bad :) If you're moving to East Texas, I've lived there and it's not a bad region.

Well, it's done. The application part anyway. Faxed off to the agency's HR department. Now I wait till they tell me when and where the interview is going to be.
.....I hate the waiting part.

GOOD LUCK!!

I hope everything goes well for you. If you do end up moving, just try your best to make everything as smooth as possible for the kids... and yeah, there will be bumps. But explain everything to them and chances are they'll climb on board with ya.

Again, good luck!

I loved moving when I was a kid, actually. I always thought it was a neat adventure, even if I was sad to leave a place.

I hope it goes well for you, Tex. Try and look at it as a new start; I know that sounds cliche. But you can learn from past mistakes and try to create a positive new life there, and it sounds like maybe you'll have more upward mobility due to your 'connection'?

Got the call today. My interview is thursday. SO i'm on the road tomorrow for 12 hours to get there for a 20 minute interview.....Hope it is worth the ride.

sent a text to my friend who told me about the job, and who was one of the interviewrs, thanking him for the opportunity and asking him to let me know when the next job would be posted. He says to me, "I wouldnt be worried about any other jobs". so it looks like I got it.

I've never had that experience before. Getting something the first time I try for it. I am still in shock.

So now I move 800 miles to the other end of the state.

Wow.

Congratulations!

As a person who attended nine different schools before graduation, I'd like to say that it's really not that bad for kids to relocate... and heck, I did it before the days of same rate for long distance on cell phones, Yahoo messenger, and Skype cam chats to help keep in touch with life-long friends.

If you're accepted, it could be a nice change. You never know what will happen. You could gain something really great. But on the other hand, I know how you feel about not wanting to leave. I moved down south for the better, but trust me, a piece of my heart is still in Jersey.

Latest posts

Back