Really need some help/advice on dieting and health

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Josh

Reaction score
Well I have been extra ornery lately and been saying I need to do something big to get my self out of it or atleast take my mind off it.

So I have decided I am going to go on a diet and try and lose some weight and just get into better shape and health in general.

Well here is the thing though I really should know how to do it but I just don't know how I can really do it. I mean I know I need to first eat healthy and exercise.

I really don't know what I should eat though and what is practical I mean I know healthy food but what I really need is a practical diet I can apply to every day life.

About exercise I know I need to get my heart rate up with some kind of cardio activity. Thing about this is I really don't want to have to either like run or bike or anything in public though. I thought about joining a gym or something but it is still kind of public so really just need to figure out what kind of exercise I should do and where I could do it and not feel so insecure..

If anyone can either give me some advice or just point me in the direction of some good infomation. I would really apperaite it.

Josh,

I don't know much about diets, but it does hel a lot to drink lots of water, regularly during all the day. It cleans the toxins out of your body, and eases the organism into losing weight.

Good luck for your project, I really hope you suceed!!:)

Thanks for advice but I do know though if you drink or retain too much water that can also be a bad thing probaly a great thing for me to start right now though like you said to help me get ready so thanks for advice.

Hey Josh,

I have done ENDLESS research on this. I'm overweight myself and constantly struggling to get back into the gym and doing proper diet and nutrition as well!

Do you want to lose weight, gain, or just maintain? Do you have A LOT of weight to lose or just a moderate amount (say 40 pounds or less)?

You can PM me if this is too personal.

Suggested weight loss diet for a young man:

Breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper if you like, apple

Lunch: very large salad with romaine lettuce (NOT iceberg lettuce which has almost no nutrients at all!) and spinach leaves and cut up vegetables that you like such as celery, cucumber, mushrooms, onions, carrots, tomatoes, green or red bell pepper...etc.

Large portion of protein such as an entire pack or can of tuna fish or broiled or baked chicken breast, one apple

Snacks: sugar free yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese with salt and pepper, or another hard boiled egg if you like (Cholesterol is NOT caused by eggs, but more likely meat fat and greasy french fries and fried foods etc)

Dinner: large portion of low fat protein such as baked chicken, baked fish, broiled steak, etc. You can easily and quickly make some steamed broccoli and cauliflower with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice or steamed or boiled spinach with lemon juice, steamed vegetables of any sort other than starches (no carrots root veg or potato at night, that is easily stored as fat) and a nice salad as well. If you MUST have sugary fruit better to have blueberries and strawberries than others, or apples, not bananas which are starchy and sugary.

No FRIED foods, no carbs at all such as NO NO NO potatoes, rice, bread, cereal, etc.)

Also take your multivitamin every day in the morning with breakfast (NOT ON empty stomach can cause tummy pains) or at night after dinner with plenty of water....again not on empty tummy as vitamins are harder to absorb on an empty tummy and can cause tummy pains)

Fat people Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT need carbs! Even thin people really don't need them except for quick energy in the morning such as a bowl of WHOLE grain oats, NOT quick oats and add blueberries for vitamins and skim organic milk for calcium. Totally healthy and good for the body!

Hugs,

LG.

lonelygirl said:
Hey Josh,

I have done ENDLESS research on this. I'm overweight myself and constantly struggling to get back into the gym and doing proper diet and nutrition as well!

Do you want to lose weight, gain, or just maintain? Do you have A LOT of weight to lose or just a moderate amount (say 40 pounds or less)?

You can PM me if this is too personal.

Suggested weight loss diet for a young man:

Breakfast: Two hard boiled eggs with salt and pepper if you like, apple

Lunch: very large salad with romaine lettuce (NOT iceberg lettuce which has almost no nutrients at all!) and spinach leaves and cut up vegetables that you like such as celery, cucumber, mushrooms, onions, carrots, tomatoes, green or red bell pepper...etc.

Large portion of protein such as an entire pack or can of tuna fish or broiled or baked chicken breast, one apple

Snacks: sugar free yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese with salt and pepper, or another hard boiled egg if you like (Cholesterol is NOT caused by eggs, but more likely meat fat and greasy french fries and fried foods etc)

Dinner: large portion of low fat protein such as baked chicken, baked fish, broiled steak, etc. You can easily and quickly make some steamed broccoli and cauliflower with salt, pepper and fresh lemon juice or steamed or boiled spinach with lemon juice, steamed vegetables of any sort other than starches (no carrots root veg or potato at night, that is easily stored as fat) and a nice salad as well. If you MUST have sugary fruit better to have blueberries and strawberries than others, or apples, not bananas which are starchy and sugary.

No FRIED foods, no carbs at all such as NO NO NO potatoes, rice, bread, cereal, etc.)

Also take your multivitamin every day in the morning with breakfast (NOT ON empty stomach can cause tummy pains) or at night after dinner with plenty of water....again not on empty tummy as vitamins are harder to absorb on an empty tummy and can cause tummy pains)

Fat people Do NOT and I repeat DO NOT need carbs! Even thin people really don't need them except for quick energy in the morning such as a bowl of WHOLE grain oats, NOT quick oats and add blueberries for vitamins and skim organic milk for calcium. Totally healthy and good for the body!

Hugs,

LG.

Thanks a ton fo advice on foods that should help me a lot.

Well so far I just need to lose weight I am not even sure of my weight right now I am probaly around 225-245 or so I would like to drop down to around 180 or so so not a ton of weight but a pretty good amount.

A few questions for you what advice about exercising and do you know much about dietary supplements since I do work at a pharmacy I pretty much could get them very cheap if would help I also have a doctor friend so probaly could get a prescription for something if would help a lot.

Also the food advice was very helpful execpt for the fact I really can't cook for my self it's just something never have learned how to do and really is hard for me to do with roomates and all that fun stuff. So any tips for places to eat at that would have healthy stuff like you suggested?

Hmm yes, I do have some idea. FIRST you want to get a main multivitamin which is specified for Men's health. You need lots of good vitamins to make healthy swimmers for your kids someday! hee hee

Also, you want to perhaps do a FEW supplements--you should introduce them slowly, one per every two weeks or so, in case you get bad effects so you can KNOW which one may caused a reaction.

Chromium Picolinate is the main fat-burner. And if you ever go to the bookstore or grocery or drug store and see some magazines on Weight Lifting/Body Building, THAT is a GREAT Source. Those guys often go from fat and flabby to strong toned and ripped. You don't have to get HUGE just somewhat built--six packs are HARD for most people to get because you have to have very low body fat for the six pack of muscles to show through the belly fat...you can get nice pecs and shoulders and arms and legs even if you do have some body fat. Women LOVE broad shoulders, nice biceps, and pecs...well there is a saying, no pecs, no sex...hee hee. You guys love nice boobs on women, and we often love nice, at least somewhat built pecs, which shows a man is strong and represents strength and power...to many if not most females!

Remember do the regular men's health multivitamin for at least 2 weeks to make sure it agrees with you. Start with a SMALL sized bottle since vitamins are expensive and if you didn't like it you might have to throw it out or possibly return it--I heard that GNC or other vitamin places have some return policies if they make you feel sick or whatever...

As for exercise, it REALLy depends on your general fitness. Do NOT start off crazy and hard or you will injure yourself and just end up fatter and more unfit because you wont' be able to work out at all for a long time...

I would suggest starting with walking, YES walking! Late at night aroud your neighborhood if you are in a safe place--just walk for at least 10 blocks at a reasonably brisk pace. Keep working over the course of a week and make it slightly harder and longer each time...

Or you can check out a workout video from the library or Blockbuster...there are plenty of stuff such as Tae Bo which is good for men....even general things like Crunch fitness has men working alongside women for general cardio strenghtening and fat burning.

Hugs!

Oh hey another thing any tips on a gym I went to 24 hour fitness today to check out how much would run me even with some supposed deals they wanted 218 dollars to stary today and 45 dollars a month. I have no problem with paying like 50 bucks a month but over 200 dollars just to start is bullshit to me. So wondering if you have any advice on finding a gym or some kind of place to work out also if you have any tips for someone not in that great of shape just starting out would be great.

Josh, may I ask your height, weight, general fitness level, and area of the country you are in , and what your particular neighborhood is like---if you cant' go on fast walks late at night (I used to do this around 10 pm when no one would see me it was dark) then you should go to the gym...i would say that there are TONS of gyms in most areas and that you should be able to find one that has special promotions. Such as waiving the entire fee. Sometimes you can bargain with them go in with cash like 100 bucks and say to the dude giving you the tour Hey, I cannot afford that sign up fee but if you want to waive it for me tongiht I can give you two months fees in advance, please call the manager see if you can help out. They usually really need to sign up people to make commission so sometimes they give you the family and friends plan etc.

lonelygirl said:
Josh, may I ask your height, weight, general fitness level, and area of the country you are in , and what your particular neighborhood is like---if you cant' go on fast walks late at night (I used to do this around 10 pm when no one would see me it was dark) then you should go to the gym...i would say that there are TONS of gyms in most areas and that you should be able to find one that has special promotions. Such as waiving the entire fee. Sometimes you can bargain with them go in with cash like 100 bucks and say to the dude giving you the tour Hey, I cannot afford that sign up fee but if you want to waive it for me tongiht I can give you two months fees in advance, please call the manager see if you can help out. They usually really need to sign up people to make commission so sometimes they give you the family and friends plan etc.

I am 5'10 around 235lbs I am pretty much out of shape now no clue how bad I am out of shape like less then 2 years ago I was in pretty good shape in the army so hoping it will come back fast I have heard a lot of people talk about things like muscle memory and things like. I am pretty strong so would be great if could get into a gym. I have about the worst social skills though so pretty much the only gyms i have talked to so far I have asked whats price they told me and then I left.

Hey Josh, Glad to hear that you are pretty tall and you have that basic training in the past so you can pretty easily get back into shape. If you dont' feel comfortable going to the gym to be around people you could easily get a weight set. for your house, hire a personal trainer to come like one to three times there and they will teach you a routine and you can do it in the privacy of your own home or apartment. If you live in an apartment they sometimes have free gyms if you didnt' realize, you could work out there....if you live in a major city area or suburb there are often free or really cheap gym sets on Craigslist.org...check it out.

lonelygirl said:
Hey Josh, Glad to hear that you are pretty tall and you have that basic training in the past so you can pretty easily get back into shape. If you dont' feel comfortable going to the gym to be around people you could easily get a weight set. for your house, hire a personal trainer to come like one to three times there and they will teach you a routine and you can do it in the privacy of your own home or apartment. If you live in an apartment they sometimes have free gyms if you didnt' realize, you could work out there....if you live in a major city area or suburb there are often free or really cheap gym sets on Craigslist.org...check it out.

I think I could handle a gym just like running or jogging outside in public would be a bit embarrsing for me. It would be pretty hard for me to get a weight set I live in crappy student housing and we don't have any anemties like a gym maybe but now you said something about that I am planning on moving in a few months for school so I will for sure look for a place that has a gym.

our common bad habit is to chew a few times then swallow right away; we like to taste our food and feel its texture while it's still recognizable in our mouth and send it down when it becomes boring! to get the most nutrients out of food, chew each mouthful at least 50 times; there's no excuse for not eating properly. because a big part of food decomposition is made directly in the mouth, the rest of the digestive system will have it easy and overall health will greatly improve.

my advice for now is to carry a bag of chopped brocoli (or anything healthy that require lots of chewing. i chose brocoli because it's rock solid, not messy and doesn't smell too much). when you're angry or sad (or bored), grab a piece and chew on that sucker until it turns into purée and swallow it.

Well I joined a gym today and have a meeting with a personal trainer tomorrow so looks like I am going to really do this

Great advice, Husky! I really do gulp my food, I will admit to that! I don't like raw broccoli, only steamed with lots of salt pepper and lemon juice!

Josh, sounds GREAT! You have BROKEN THROUGH complacency to positive change! Keep moving forward toward your dreams!

Well I just got done with my first day at the gym and I got my ass kicked the trainer worked me a bit hard I think by the end I was about ready to throw up. I declined anymore sessions with him felt bad but I just don't think he understands how bad of shape I am in and so now I am kind of screwed because I have to learn how to use the rest of the machines by my self I really like the treadmill though its cool they have them in a dark room where you watch a movie while your on it I was on one for like 60 minutes and ended up going almost 4 miles.

So if anyone has any tips on how to learn how to use the machines and to develop or find a workout that would work for me that would be great.

Josh,

Sounds like Male ego and male pride got involved....why didn't you TELL him that it was too hard on you? And why didn't he REALIZE that he was pushing you WAY too hard for the first session?

There are TONS of good personal trainers...perhaps look into one who works with people who have disabilities such as strained backs, ankles, etc....you shouldn't have felt SICK afterward, just tired and perhaps a BIT sore!

lonelygirl said:
Josh,

Sounds like Male ego and male pride got involved....why didn't you TELL him that it was too hard on you? And why didn't he REALIZE that he was pushing you WAY too hard for the first session?

There are TONS of good personal trainers...perhaps look into one who works with people who have disabilities such as strained backs, ankles, etc....you shouldn't have felt SICK afterward, just tired and perhaps a BIT sore!

I dunno he just really thought I was in better shape and a lot stronger then I am and the problem is he is the only trainer at the gym so kind of sucks but I figure I will be fine one I learn all the machines.

On a kind of funny side not I can't belive the guy didn't relize how tired I was because at the end he pretty much was doing my workout for me having to spot me on everything

Weird, most gyms have TONS of trainers. And more trainers than clients, so you'd have your pick! Anyway I would say to him honestly, "Look man, thanks for the work out but I feel that it was too hard on my body, I need to EASE into heavy physical workout..and I would like you to give me free 30 minutes training on the machines so I can ease into that before heavy weight lifting."

Good luck!

lonelygirl said:
Weird, most gyms have TONS of trainers. And more trainers than clients, so you'd have your pick! Anyway I would say to him honestly, "Look man, thanks for the work out but I feel that it was too hard on my body, I need to EASE into heavy physical workout..and I would like you to give me free 30 minutes training on the machines so I can ease into that before heavy weight lifting."

Good luck!

THanks for the good advice but like you said there is a certain macho thing and there is no way I can tell him that I am too weak to do the workout so instead I lied to him about not having a decent time to be able to meet with him and that I will just figure it out on my own.

Hee hee,

Josh, I hear you. You remind me a lot of my brother! He has a big problem with Male Ego Syndrome...

He won't tell the truth when a female masseuse was rubbing him WAY too hard, to the point that the next day he could barely stand to sleep on his back!

You guys need to be ASSERTIVE not macho. Just say, look I am enjoying this workout, I just feel like I need to take it a bit slower...lighter...steadier..whatever. You could totally LIE next time and just say I have a back injury...neck injury...ankle injury...WHATEVER to get him to lessen up on you!

LG.

Latest posts

Back