Alone at xmas

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MavChat

Reaction score
Any of you who are alone at xmas feel free to give me a shout. We can all can be alone together.

My way of dealing with loneliness at Christmas is to not acknowledge it.

Been years since I celebrated Christmas, one of the best decisions I ever made. I now have no pressure, guilt, worry, expectation, expense or loneliness that I usually felt from taking part in the holiday.

MavChat said:
Any of you who are alone at xmas feel free to give me a shout. We can all can be alone together.

MavChat -- Cool beans...bump this thread on XMAS day so any Newbies can join the party? See ya then, LG:)

My method of dealing with being alone at Christmas is to go find people to be with so I'm not alone.

I don't do christmas anymore either, my man cub is now a man child so there's no need. I prefer to celibate the solstice especially this year with the rare 500 year eclipse. Two hits of LSD, a bottle of wine and me naked barking at the moon! weeeeeeee! Well.... Realistically my lawn chair, a rum laden toddy and a electric blanket with a long extension chord :p One can still dream cant we?

SchemeDreamer said:
My way of dealing with loneliness at Christmas is to not acknowledge it.

Been years since I celebrated Christmas, one of the best decisions I ever made. I now have no pressure, guilt, worry, expectation, expense or loneliness that I usually felt from taking part in the holiday.

Please join MavChat's XMAS gathering, OK? No pressure, let's just hang! LG:)

LGH1288 said:
neejau said:
Will most likely join ya guys, not looking too good this year.

OK! The more the merrier. For some of us it's a tough time of the year to be merry but we can still try, eh? LG:)

See, this is what I mean about the pressure of trying to be happy at this time of year. For someone like me it's a total charade if I put on a brave face and I don't see why I should put myself through a lot of stress and anxiety because of it.

If I'm happy on the 25th December, so be it, if I'm not, it doesn't matter. I certainly won't go out of my way to be cheerful just because of the date.

Of course if you do enjoy Christmas and want to celebrate it, that's a different story.

SchemeDreamer said:
LGH1288 said:
neejau said:
Will most likely join ya guys, not looking too good this year.

OK! The more the merrier. For some of us it's a tough time of the year to be merry but we can still try, eh? LG:)

See, this is what I mean about the pressure of trying to be happy at this time of year. For someone like me it's a total charade if I put on a brave face and I don't see why I should put myself through a lot of stress and anxiety because of it.

If I'm happy on the 25th December, so be it, if I'm not, it doesn't matter. I certainly won't go out of my way to be cheerful just because of the date.

Of course if you do enjoy Christmas and want to celebrate it, that's a different story.

Hi SchemeDreamer -- It must be very satisfying to have found a way to be at peace with yourself! Some people feel like honeysuckle on XMAS so hopefully there'll be one less sad soul that day. I'm just grateful there'll be others for me to spend the day with. It's not easy being lonely on any day. LG:)

I wouldn't say its satisfying. The actual day will mean lots of people in the house, which means I'll be locking myself in my room for 24 hours.

But apart from that one day, Christmas as a whole is much less stressful for me.

And I'm always alone, so I'm used to it.

SchemeDreamer said:
I wouldn't say its satisfying. The actual day will mean lots of people in the house, which means I'll be locking myself in my room for 24 hours.

But apart from that one day, Christmas as a whole is much less stressful for me.

And I'm always alone, so I'm used to it.

Yes, I see your point. I'm also not one for a lot of household commotion; I'd rather have a small gathering. I guess it all depends upon whether or not I like the invited guests. Sometimes I'd make a polite appearance and then disappear to my own space of bliss and serenity. People should respect that but, especially during "the holidays", they usually don't. The pressure inflicted by some people onto others can even be construed as a lack of respect. Anyway, I found a link you might appreciate: http://www.mymiserablechristmas.com/. I didn't read it all yet but maybe it'll help me understand more about why XMAS day is so emotionally loaded for some people. TTYL (if you want), LG:)

Well I don't get on with my family, don't particularly like my family, which is why I avoid family gatherings.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

SchemeDreamer said:
Well I don't get on with my family, don't particularly like my family, which is why I avoid family gatherings.

Thanks for the link, I will take a look.

Yeah, my "natural" family sucks (I really dislike them) and my "adopted" family screwed me over royally (a bunch of dishonest thieves) so that's why my holiday season's crappy (the family theme is generally a big focus of XMAS; it's hard for me to negate that aspect). The link illustrates a lot of bad XMAS experiences. LG:)

I was invited to my adoptive brother and his wife for a Xmas party... I am skipping it as it is just another excuse for them to get drunk and pass out... I drink but I don't get drunk and pass out like them, I have that control... I want to try and make December 25th the day I quit smoking... I have those 3 days before my holiday job starts so I am going to give it another shot, maybe this time I will get it right.

MavChat said:
I was invited to my adoptive brother and his wife for a Xmas party... I am skipping it as it is just another excuse for them to get drunk and pass out... I drink but I don't get drunk and pass out like them, I have that control... I want to try and make December 25th the day I quit smoking... I have those 3 days before my holiday job starts so I am going to give it another shot, maybe this time I will get it right.

Hey MavChat -- You're so smart to skip the drunken stupidity and brilliant to stop polluting your body with those poisonous toxins! EXCELLENT! LG:)

I have to force myself to enjoy Christmas. Most holidays and special "family only" events have been irrevocably ruined for me. But new school, new town... I think of it as doing the holidays how I want it (at least as far as decorating and eating are concerned).

TexanAndes said:
I have to force myself to enjoy Christmas. Most holidays and special "family only" events have been irrevocably ruined for me. But new school, new town... I think of it as doing the holidays how I want it (at least as far as decorating and eating are concerned).

Hi TexanAndes -- Merry Christmas to you! I like your "doing the holidays" approach. Yes, the simple traditions are the common threads that keep us connected to others. So, I've cooked a simple meal and a simple dessert, I've wrapped a simple present to open under a simple string of lights, and I'll listen to simple holiday music while my cat (who I love and adore) SIMPLY DRIVES ME NUTS! Peace to you, LG:)

Latest posts

Back