Made A Huge Step

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sci-Fi

Watcher
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
For me at least. Every year I fear the company Christmas party, I don't have much in common with the other guys, they're all great guys but I only see them when they have contracting jobs in the area. I also hate group functions and this year was even worse because I had to go alone. Usually I had a co-worker to go with but not this year. So I had to drive to London by myself, at night, in the snow, and I hate driving at night when I don't know an area very well. I'm also not a drinker and the rest being construction workers are, lol.

But I did it, I went by myself. :D People kept mentioning how quiet I was, some of them know I can be quite the talker. I was mostly standing by myself wishing I could duck out. My boss finally arrived and talked with me for a bit, his wife almost didn't recognize me, she used to seeing me with my glasses on. The boss also likes to call us up when handing out our Christmas bonus and make a speach, I really hate that, I don't like being singled out. Had quite a few laughs, the bosses youngest son did an impression of his dad, which had people in tears we were laughing so hard. I still can't believe I went, I made through the night.

Okay, it's late and I'm going to bed now, gotta work in the morning.

I hate those things too.

It sounds like you did great :)

Thanks, I still can't believe I went. My boss told me more than once he was glad I came.

The food wasn't bad either, and I'm a picky person when it comes to food. Actually one of the guys who I wouldn't peg as picky was, he's Italian.

There were oderves, these chicken kabob like things, little pizza bites that were really good (garlic bred with pizza sauce, tomato, some kind or garnish like basil or something and parmesan cheese), salmon snacks (I hate fish and I guess the cracker they were on weren't very good.), then we were served a potato soup which I've never had and was really good. The salad was mixed greens, with red onions, cucumbers, blueberries, strawberries, and dressed with a raspberry vinaigrette (most of that stuff I don't like, the only thing I did like on the salad was the strawberries, lol). The main course was some kind of bread pudding, I didn't try it, just looked like a giant mushroom, steak, potatoes, with gravy, baked carrots and beans. The dessert was a chocolate cake with chocolate shavings, chocolate whipped cream, and a little piece of designer chocolate on top. It was all very fancy and very well presented. And now I've probably made you all very hungry. :D

We had a good laugh at the head server, after the dinner when they were serving coffee the creamers were empty. One of the guys asked the server if they shot the cow. He didn't get it at first until he looked at the creamers, he responded "how terribly embarrassing". None of the tables had any cream, so they quickly corrected it. They were all very good at making sure glasses didn't go empty, topping up water glasses and checking if anyone wanted more wine or another drink.

They need to mark their washrooms more clearly because no one could remember where they were at. One of the guys might have used the woman's locker room. ROFL

The bosses eldest son likes to (brag) tell stories...and shares too much sometimes. The two girls who work in the office were quite red faced and one kept hiding her face and laughing. His mother embarrassed him making a comment on how hard it is to keep up with his latest girlfriend, she just remembers which nationality they were. So then he proceeded to tell us stories about the girls he's hooked up with. His younger brother started to make faces and jokes at him, so he got his little brother back by giving him a kiss on the cheek. LOL. We had a running joke all night about one of girls who hasn't even bought a christmas tree yet.

The night was topped off with the bosses youngest son doing another impression of his dad, he picked up the mic and started singing Fly Me To The Moon.

I just need to get better at initiating small talk, I'm not very good at that unless its with someone who I have something in common with. Otherwise I just stand there and listen to the other guys stories, making fun of each other.

Okay I'm going to shut up now.

Sounds like you had quite a time :)

The salad sounds like something else. I can't imagine onions going with blueberries.

I'm wondering...does your company have a sports team you could either join or just attend the games? These "social" functions at work are a good place to practice your skills, and I'll bet senior management would be very impressed and credit you with participating in "team spirit". LG:)

No we don't LGH but even if they did I wouldn't join cause I suck at sports. I was the kid in gym class that when we played baseball everyone moved in closer. LOL We used to have a golf tournament in the summer but it got too costly I think. The guys had free run at the liquor cart. I hated going to that, I wouldn't be able to get into the, swing, of things until the 18th hole. It was funny though cause the guys would be so drunk by the 9th hole, and we'd have golf cart races or shut off the power on each others carts.

Do they have any other activities that you could attend, even if you don't actually participate? Im sure there would be others there as well - might be a good opportunity to get your feet wet. :D

Latest posts

Back