Christmas Card Paradox

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inadarkplace

Reaction score
So this is the time of year when I get stacks of Christmas cards in the mail. Each one includes a photo showing a happy smiling family and a letter detailing how great their life is and all the things they do together.

Doesn't this seem mean and cruel to send this stuff to someone who is all alone and lonely?

When I see all these photos and stuff, it only makes me feel more isolated and more like life is passing me by.

If they didn't send me a card, they would probably feel like they were neglecting me. Its a paradox.

Hi -- Sometimes they're oblivious to our situations & feelings or sometimes they get swept away by the season. At least they think of you! I never got a card the next year even though I was thoughtful enough to put them on my list the year before. LG:-(

That's an interesting perspective dark. It does seem like quite the paradox :( I would agree with LGH though. I would give people the benefit of the doubt and assume they are not intentionally trying to hurt you. Some people do not realize how lonely one really is. Most of my friends do not realize how lonely and sad I really am. If you feel like that, you could try not opening the cards. I do not get many cards so I usually open the ones I get

Yeah I don't think people do it intentionally, some just like to take family photos for Christmas to send people. I don't get cards either, but very few have my actual address. I wouldn't take it personally.

I don't usually get Christmas cards.

I did get a gift from a client. He's an alcoholic and so am I so he bought me a bottle of rum. Best gift ever.

This is a very old post but I thought I would reply to it. These sort of Christmas cards are like Facebook in that they often show an idealised version of peoples' lives. Behind the scenes there could be all kinds of problems. But it would hurt me very much to get these sort of cards as well.

Latest posts

Back