The Shame

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poueff

Reaction score
This isn't a major problem,but I find it a bit odd so I decided to post it

Well,I'm way diferent than my family's usual "normal" range

I don't listen to pop music,but to metal
I don't have a facebook or nothing close to it
I want to practice Kick-boxing but they insist on things like basketball or soccer,even though I show no interest for it (and they know that I wouldn't get hurt on KB,because I'm basicly a beast at those things,and the reason they show is that I would get more violent)
I laugh out loud on most "scary" movies (not actual Scary Movies,but horror films) when they're looking away from the screen
I'm an agnostic atheist
I'm a very outgoing and social person but I don't really like to invite friends into my home,but the other way around (I didn't exacly found this place because I'm lonely,but that's another story)

I think you got the idea,I love my family,and I have a great comunication with them,but when it comes to things out of their "normal" range,my taste completely differs theirs

I'll give you a basic example so you can understand what I'm saying:

Just now,I was listening to Avenged Sevenfold's (my favourite band) MIA in what I would consider a regular volume.

My mother calls me cause she needs help in changing some stuff in the living room. I go there and as I start helping,I notice I forgot to stop the music in my room,and that you could hear it in the living room. I ask,half-kidding half-serious,if I left it too loud. At what she answers... "Ofcourse you did,why did you listen to satanic pricks anyway" (this = translation,so the words aren't exact).
I felt pretty much ashamed of leaving it too loud and the minute I came to my room I toned it down

I'm not a goth or any close to it,btw

But even though her sentence is wrong as hell (who calls a band with a balad named "Dear God" satanic?) I still felt ashamed when she said it,even though I still love A7X and am still listening to MIA (lol).

Why did this happened? We know we have different tastes,but even so...

PS: Please don't say I need to talk to them,I'm tired of useless senteces like those
PS2: Why did my avy disapear?

hey i wouldn't worry too much about being differnt than your family I'm kinda the same way

you don't have to be ashamed of being differnt you're awesome the way you are, and no one should tell you any differnt

my mom always thought my music was satantic and was a "negative influence" and bal bla bla, but I always felt validation that my music was legit hardcore good music whenever she would say that.

I took a kickboxing class last spring and thinking about taking another one, it was a lot of fun we got to kick and hit all kinds of honeysuckle, it was fun, why does it matter to your family if you take an awesome fun class

I'm completly differnt than my mainly normal sister, I've always had differnt tastes, but there are tons of people with similar takes,

but this doesn't seem too extreme, why should it matter if you have differnt tastes in music, parents will always disapprove of the younger generation's tastes in music and such, I'm sure your family will love you anyways
\
i mean seriously people though elevis and led zeplin were satinic or bad inflluencences on people

Be true to yourself, Dude.

What can I say about judgemental family members. Be understanding with them. When people are judgemental, it can create a barrier to understanding. People have their various tastes, lifestyles and interests. We can emulate tolerance and concideration with others that we don't have much in common with.
...whatever.

You havnt done anything to be ashamed of, no need to feel like that. You say you would get more violent if you got better at kick boxing, but my best guess is that you will just focus any aggression into training, and if you are training the right amount, you wont have the need or the energy left to have those feelings anyway.

I guess no one ever told you that it's okay to not be like everyone else. The world goes round because people don't conform to the "normal" stuff everyone else does. People try to fit in so they will be liked because they think that's what they have to do. No one ever realizes that people like others more when they aren't afraid to be themselves. There are lots of followers; few leaders. And I don't mean that in the clique-y sense. I mean it in the sense that people respect those who aren't afraid to march to their own drummer.

Don't conform. Listen to whatever you like to listen to (I'm a metalhead too, by the way and I love black metal, death metal, etc.); read whatever you like to read; enjoy the movies you like. Just BE yourself without feeling like you have to live to someone else's expectations. As long as what you're doing doesn't impose on the rights of anyone else, don't sweat it. Sure, you made a mistake and forgot to turn your music down once. It happens. No one is perfect. It sounded like your Mom made a rather snotty comment about it, but more likely, she was just irritated that she had to listen to something that just sounded grating to her ears. If you had left music on too loud that she liked, she probably wouldn't have thought twice about it.

And I completely understand about not inviting people to your home. I am the same way. My home is my sanctuary. I don't want people here except by invitation only and that invitation has to be because I want to; not because I feel like I should/have to. There are so many places out in the world to meet with friends...and some people prefer to have friends over at their house than to go elsewhere that I wouldn't worry too much about that either. You don't have to be like everyone else.

I hope this helps.

Shame......shame....... shame.... shame..... shame..... shame.... shame.

Just kidding. I'm with you on the no facebook and laughing at horror movies. :)

Latest posts

Back