Do women ever ask guys out?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes. Though they don't really need to. Men will always be the chasers and have to work and fight to get a mate way more often than a woman.

I guess that's they way it should be given that women spend way more time on making themselves appealing to the opposite sex than men.

I mean, why would a woman spend all that time gussying themselves up more-so than a man and then make a greater effort than a man to get in a relationship by asking them out?

**Edit:perhaps that's why alot of men think some woman are way too beautiful and way out of their league. They see some women and see how much effort they put in to making themselves attractive and then the man takes a look at himself and feels it's not worth asking the woman out since he didn't spend as much effort on making himself attractive. Kinda like me.

Yes, women are the gatekeepers of relationships.

A girl knows that the majority of guys with reciprocate interest if she shows it, so all she has to do is show it.

In this day and age, I believe there is no reason at all why a woman shouldn't ask a guy out.

Just as some women are, some men are either shy or afraid of rejection. The worst that can happen is that the guy will say "no", and that is not the end of the world.

I, myself, was in a public place and made eye contact with a guy and saw him looking back at me. We did this over and over again. I don't know how old you are, but this was in a Friday's Restaurant at the bar. I was with a friend, and so was he. I went to the Ladie's Room, and when passing him, just smiled and said, Hi. When I passed him on the way back, he was smiling at me. We continued the eye contact back and forth, and since he didn't make a move, I figured I better or the chance would be lost. I bought him a drink and went over when the bartender was serving it to him. I just said to him, you have a nice smile. Is there any chance that you would like to talk on the phone or go somewhere to get to know each other? I then said, since I asked you, it will be my treat. He took my number and he called me the next day! We went to Applebee's and had a blast! When the check came, I took it, and he said, don't be silly about paying. You just pay the tip.

I dated him for 4 months. We had good times. I was the one who broke up with him, because I found that there were a lot of things we had in common, but more things we didn't. We parted as friends, and kept in touch by phone and email. I still hear from him every once in a while and vice versa.

YOU HAVE ONE LIFE...THIS ISN'T A DRESS REHEARSAL...I KNOW IT ISN'T EASY BEING FORWARD LIKE THAT, BUT DO IT! YOU WILL NEVER KNOW IF YOU DON'T!

Good luck to you!

WishingWell said:
Just as some women are, some men are either shy or afraid of rejection. The worst that can happen is that the guy will say "no", and that is not the end of the world.

While I agree with this advice, I believe it's much easier for a woman to accept rejection than a man. Which ******* sucks but hey, that's just the way it is....men will always have to try harder next time.

i think more often than not the women do not ask the guys out. in my case i am so shy that i wish that one would. it would be awesome to find a girl forward enough to do that, that actually likes a shy nice guy.

I have had a few girls ask me out in the past, so i guess there are some that do that.

But usually its the guys that do the asking, mainly due to social reasons i guess.

SocratesX said:
Yes, women are the gatekeepers of relationships.

A girl knows that the majority of guys with reciprocate interest if she shows it, so all she has to do is show it.

Wow. This is the most common sense you've ever shown. And although I'm not a "gatekeeper" if I have a strong interest in a guy, I'd let him know, and maybe ask him out, and see what happens. But that goes with anyone. If you show interest, you may just get it back.

Lynth said:
WishingWell said:

While I agree with this advice, I believe it's much easier for a woman to accept rejection than a man. Which ******* sucks but hey, that's just the way it is....men will always have to try harder next time.

What is that based on?

I have let my interest in a couple wonderful men be known before, to find that they were already taken. I found it extremely embarrassing, and havnt been able to bring myself to make the first move since. I recently met a man who I think I could really get along with, my friends told me I should have asked him out. I always figured its the guys job to ask the girl out once shes expressed interest in him, if hes interested in her that is.

Mary Mary said:
Lynth said:
WishingWell said:

What is that based on?

I believe women to be more attractive on average than men on an objective and subjective level. Although I'm still torn on whether beauty is objective or subjective.

And also because men, on average, are the chasers.

Women put more effort in making themselves desirable and less effort asking men out.

Men put more effort asking women out and less effort making themselves desirable.

So what I'm getting at is a woman could go her whole life and have many partners without ever having asked them out.

For a man, this is nearly impossible. In my opinion.

Lynth said:
Mary Mary said:
Lynth said:
WishingWell said:

What is that based on?

I believe women to be more attractive on average than men on an objective and subjective level. Although I'm still torn on whether beauty is objective or subjective.

Women put more effort in making themselves desirable and less effort asking men out.

Men put more effort asking women out and less effort making themselves desirable.

So what I'm getting at is a woman could go her whole life and have many partners without ever having asked them out.

I think you're right.
**** IT!

Lynth said:
Mary Mary said:
Lynth said:
WishingWell said:

What is that based on?

That would make rejection worse for a woman. I stopped caring about being rejected after I worked in sales after I got rejected many, many times. You men pursue and get rejected. The more it happens, the more you get used to it. However, if women only ask men out on a rare occasion, we never have the opportunity to get desensitized to rejection.

septicemia said:
I have let my interest in a couple wonderful men be known before, to find that they were already taken. I found it extremely embarrassing, and havnt been able to bring myself to make the first move since. I recently met a man who I think I could really get along with, my friends told me I should have asked him out. I always figured its the guys job to ask the girl out once shes expressed interest in him, if hes interested in her that is.

The embarrassment part really is the pits.
And when you're a guy, you might even get your ass kicked
by approaching the wrong woman. (one with an angry man in her life)

I'd think I had died and gone to Heaven if some woman
expressed an interest in me.

This thread should pass a big message to all guys out there:

Don't wait,just do it. The result may be two diferent things:

-Rejection,that to be honest isn't negative,but positive. It means you don't have to try again on that one,and that you'll move to better things.

-Acception,and we all know what happens there =)

Lynth said:

Mary Mary said:
That would make rejection worse for a woman. I stopped caring about being rejected after I worked in sales after I got rejected many, many times. You men pursue and get rejected. The more it happens, the more you get used to it. However, if women only ask men out on a rare occasion, we never have the opportunity to get desensitized to rejection.

I disagree. A man knows in the back of his mind he'll have to try harder next time if he gets rejected.

A woman knows in the back of her mind that plenty of other men will continue to hit on her after being rejected.

So, essentially, when it comes to rejection, the average woman has to make the least amount of effort to be successful next time in getting a mate.

If a man ever rejects a woman I think the main reason would be:
- She's not my type.

If a woman rejects a man, I think the main reasons would be:
- He's not my type
(AND/OR)
- I could do better << I apologize for this since it's I know it's going to piss alot of women off but please understand I'm a naive 26 year old virgin with no ******* experience.

By the way, it would blow my mind if any man here admitted to rejecting a woman because he thought he could do better.

Lynth said:
Lynth said:

Mary Mary said:

I disagree. A man knows in the back of his mind he'll have to try harder next time if he gets rejected.

A woman knows in the back of her mind that plenty of other men will continue to hit on her after being rejected.

So, essentially, when it comes to rejection, the average woman has to make the least amount of effort to be successful next time in getting a mate.

If a man ever rejects a woman I think the main reason would be:
- She's not my type.

If a woman rejects a man, I think the main reasons would be:
- He's not my type
(AND/OR)
- I could do better

By the way, I've never had a relationship so I can't speak from experience but if it would blow my mind if any man here admitted to rejecting a woman because he thought he can do better.

Hell, yes. There are tons of men who won't touch a woman unless she was supermodel material.

This may come as a shock to you, but not all men are desperate. Do you really think a doctor feels the need to say yes to every woman that shows attention to him?

Mary Mary said:
Hell, yes. There are tons of men who won't touch a woman unless she was supermodel material.

Sigh, I guess this is what I get for generalizing, but perhaps you're right. Although those men are rare I think, not to mention complete douchebags.

Mary Mary said:
This may come as a shock to you, but not all men are desperate. Do you really think a doctor feels the need to say yes to every woman that shows attention to him?

No, I don't. Do you think a female janitor has any reason to say yes to every man that shows attention to her?

Looks will always be the main reason why someone gets asked out, and women (on average) will always have the edge. Edit: Money is rarely the main reason, only in movies.

A rejected successful male doctor will be hurt more than a rejected female janitor. Again, in my opinion.

Man or woman, it doesn't really rely on gender. I assume it's more of the person. For example, despite being female, I doubt any male would ask me out. So it's not easier for females. So that whole theory isn't really true. However, think what you like.

Latest posts

Back