Am I wrong? (thread about suicide)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oh_boy

Reaction score
Hi all.

I wanted to share some thoughts cause they were quite important for me. These thoughts are regarding suicide theme.

So...
Suicide is clearly perceived as a negative action and believe me I no doubt render it as such for most of the time.

But - what should be the basis of any action whatsoever? The aim to make this world better, right? So, suicide can't have such basis?

For example - when life is really-really bad and it's like nothing to do with it, it's filled with suffering all the time etc etc. Such life that most of the people have no idea what it's like, though they may see it going on. So - even the Bible says - love anyone like yourself. So if your suffering in your life BY FAR exceeds that good you can do for sake of others - then? Isn't it unfair even towards others to continue living?

I don't think this is the situation in my life yet, but I can surely name someone I know who are like that. They go nowhere, they're worse and worse every year, they degrade. They are asocial, they're like animals already! Their negative lives increase suffering in this world. And even if they felt in the end of their lives a bit happier, then this would pretty surely be nothing if compared with all mess they've done with their lives in total.

I think sometimes - man, if I were a parent of such person and he did suicide, I would be sorrowful of course, but proud of him in a sense as well. I would think - he was brave enough to end that suffering, not only of himself but of others who had to tolerate that. And then firstly I am as a parent, responsible for that suicide, cause I have failed to teach him how to live this life in a right way.

Of course some negativity with suicides is because of belief there's nothing beyond. That makes absolutely no sense for me for long time already, I'm not gonna discuss it now.

To sum this all up, I've arrived to the point of view that suicide can be justified sometimes, though QUITE rarely it seems.

I repeat, I REALLY BELIEVE absolute majority of ppl on this forum by any means SHOULD AVOID doing suicide.

hey mostly wanted to bumb your thread as i just bumbed it down by posting something. But I see what you are saying.

I think people dont really see suicide as bad, i think we just see it as something we dont want anyone we know to do.

even though life may be terrible i think that people think you should stick with life.

One day, you are going to die in any case. Why would you rush that?

Suffering exist i know, and it is bad, but there is often no way to be sure that suffering will be with you till the end.

Even still if someone does feel to commit suicide that does not make them bad. That makes their life/situation bad... And I just hope it gets better for them.

oh_boy said:
Isn't it unfair even towards others to continue living?

My life isn't valued by what I can do for others. Or even who I am to someone. If you mean something to someone, then that's a plus in life. Personally, I think that's the problem some people have. People who think that if they don't have someone in life, then they are worthless. If someone finds it offensive or unfair that I'm still living, that's on them.

hey that's a good post oh boy

My life isn't valued by what I can do for others. Or even who I am to someone. If you mean something to someone, then that's a plus in life. Personally, I think that's the problem some people have. People who think that if they don't have someone in life, then they are worthless. If someone finds it offensive or unfair that I'm still living, that's on them.

that's also a really good point vanilla I agree,

part of the stigma associated with suicide is religious in the bible it says that suicide is a sin, just like eating beef and pork (animals with hoofs) shellfish, shaving and wearing clothing made from synthetic fibers

so a lot of really religious people believe that if people commit suicide they will go to hell, which i disagree with

also, even when a person feels that that no one cares for them that usually isn't the case, I read a statistic somewhere that for every person that kills themselves, they leave behind at least 6 close people who are emotionally hurt because of that person's suicide

I believe in Dr. assisted suicide like if someone has a terrible painful and terminal disease they should have the right to end things on their own term with dignity instead of wasting away on life support

someone once said that suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem,

things change, not nearly as fast as we would like them to but over time things usually get better,
I repeat, I REALLY BELIEVE absolute majority of ppl on this forum by any means SHOULD AVOID doing suicide.
so I 2nd that

After about 12 failed suicide attempts, with those attempts ending over 12 years ago, I believe I am meant to be alive for some reason. I ended up in comas many times and doctors were unsure if I was going to live or even be brain dead. I didn't realize the hurt and trouble I was causing the people that loved/cared about me, especially my family and friends.

Regarding the Bible and what it says, it is very difficult to believe everything in it. Divorce is a sin--so does that mean, no matter what happens the rest of my life, I am going to hell because I divorced someone.

Faith is a big thing to me, only how can anyone be absolutely positive that there is a Heaven or hell? I was told once by someone that maybe the afterlife contains the very way you were feeling when you commited suicide for eternity. That is enough to scare me.

Life is precious. No matter how lousey one's life is or how rotten some people are, life has been given to them for a reason. And, I don't believe anyone--yourself, included, has the right to end a life.

This is a very controversial subject, because there is no proof of anything.

[/quote]

[/quote]

hm, but if life's not valued by what you do to others, then what's wrong if you end it and by that hurt somebody? Kinda logical error there seems, or maybe not. Ah, anyway, I don't intend to overthrow anyone's opinion, just searching some evidences maybe I'm too blind to see. Maybe not. Oh it's such a hard topic. It s*cks. Hope some day these scientists will provide some clue what's after death. It's impossible to live without knowledge about that.

When we keep doing the same things, we keep getting the same results.

When you change the way you look at the world, your whole world changes.

Wouldn't it be a bummer for someone to resort to "the final solution" just a day before they might have
read something, met someone, received the phone call that tipped the scales and turned their life around?

Wow, a new life!

I never thought of it that way...the scales can always be tipped, hopefully before the "final solution."

I am posting a poem on a thread today called "A Note." I wrote it when I was 12 and suicidal. Thank God I didn't act on it then....I waited until years later to fail 12 times...what if at the age of 12 I suceeded? I would have missed out on a lot!

Oh_boy, I think it's such a slim chance that we will find out what is on the other side in this lifetime. I think we are going to just have to wait and see. Sorry I can't think of anything else to write.

Color me confused. What exactly by the hands of the sufferer are others having to "tolerate" such that the sufferer should feel the need to do the "right thing" and put an end to it with their life?

jjam said:
Color me confused. What exactly by the hands of the sufferer are others having to "tolerate" such that the sufferer should feel the need to do the "right thing" and put an end to it with their life?

Jjam, perhaps toleration isn't a perfect word here. I mean - who's gonna like when somebody suffers? Come on, nobody. All of us need happy people in our life we could pump from in order to reduce our own suffering. Of course we feel great when we can help somebody bla bla bla, but deep inside... we think it would be better to have happiness and bliss and great possibilities and people all around us.
Of course I cannot tell for anyone, but I arrived to this conclusion after looking into myself and examining the behavior of ppl around me.

Latest posts

Back