Hello, I'm a new member

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everybody,

I've recently realized I don't have any real friends and have subsequently been feeling extremely lonely. I thought things had been going really well for me after I enrolled in college three years ago. My second semester I got a job as a natural sciences tutor and made many acquaintances. Eventually I had a group of friends whom I frequently hung out with. The high point came when the director of my department introduced me to the college president as the smartest person he had ever met. For the first time in my life I felt like I belonged.

Last semester I transferred from my small community college to one of America's largest and most prestigious universities. Academically it is everything I ever dreamed it would be. I even felt like I had made friends in each of my courses. We'd do study groups and text about homework problems. It was almost like having my friends from back home.

After the winter break I decided to text everybody to see if they wanted to hang out. The only person who replied was a very attractive girl who had always seemed very friendly. She said "I don't need math help anymore." I was dumb struck. I thought these people were my friends. It made me decide to examine my other relationships and I noticed a disturbing pattern. On the rare occasion somebody contacts me it is only to ask for help or advice. When nobody needs me or I need something I am ignored.

I decided that the best place to make friends would be a place full of other lonely people which is why I am here. It also seems like a place where people could prey on lonely people, but I think it is worth the risk it to try to meet other people I can relate to. This is far more than I ever say about myself, especially my emotions, in real life and I feel rather embarrassed about posting this much about myself. To anybody who has actually read this far: thank you.

IShouldBeStudying - cute username.

I'm from Georgia; and when I moved to Connecticut, I had a similar experience. It was whole different world.

IShouldBeStudying said:
Hello everybody,

I've recently realized I don't have any real friends and have subsequently been feeling extremely lonely. I thought things had been going really well for me after I enrolled in college three years ago. My second semester I got a job as a natural sciences tutor and made many acquaintances. Eventually I had a group of friends whom I frequently hung out with. The high point came when the director of my department introduced me to the college president as the smartest person he had ever met. For the first time in my life I felt like I belonged.

Last semester I transferred from my small community college to one of America's largest and most prestigious universities. Academically it is everything I ever dreamed it would be. I even felt like I had made friends in each of my courses. We'd do study groups and text about homework problems. It was almost like having my friends from back home.

After the winter break I decided to text everybody to see if they wanted to hang out. The only person who replied was a very attractive girl who had always seemed very friendly. She said "I don't need math help anymore." I was dumb struck. I thought these people were my friends. It made me decide to examine my other relationships and I noticed a disturbing pattern. On the rare occasion somebody contacts me it is only to ask for help or advice. When nobody needs me or I need something I am ignored.

I decided that the best place to make friends would be a place full of other lonely people which is why I am here. It also seems like a place where people could prey on lonely people, but I think it is worth the risk it to try to meet other people I can relate to. This is far more than I ever say about myself, especially my emotions, in real life and I feel rather embarrassed about posting this much about myself. To anybody who has actually read this far: thank you.

Dear ISBS -- Welcome to ALL! I'm very glad you took a leap of faith and gave us a chance to become part of your world. Everytime someone joins our forum our community's synergistic factor increases exponentially. I'm confident you'll find a kindred spirit here to connect with. Please don't be too hard on yourself; from what I've read you're quite intelligent and talented. I suppose that in real life, and even in cyberspace, it's difficult for some people to accept a "rising star" because not everyone's self-actualization was positive and some might feel "inferior" when relating to people they may perceive as being "on a higher level". There could be so many reasons why former colleagues were uncomfortable around you in a non-educational setting. When the familiarity of the college environment was removed it was probably a whole new ballgame for them. Anyhow, enjoy this website; there are many opportunities here to make friends and have fun. Fractally yours, LG:)

That you both for your replies.

LGH1288 said:
...it's difficult for some people to accept a "rising star" because not everyone's self-actualization was positive and some might feel "inferior" when relating to people they may perceive as being "on a higher level"...

I'm sorry if I came off as self important. I didn't mean to imply I was better than anybody else. I was merely trying to express my feeling of being used by the people I perceived to be my friends. I strongly believe everybody, with few exceptions in the case of people with mental illness, has roughly equivalent levels of intelligence even though it may manifest in different ways. I only mentioned what was said to the college professor as a point of pride; I don't believe myself to be above anybody else.

hey Ishouldbestudying, great name by the way,

I always should be studying :)

I'm really sorry about the difficult transition from schools,

that's terrible about those friends, It sounds like they're just fair weather friends, ( i just heard that word from another member today, kudos to you :) )

but mainly those are people who are only your friends when they need or want something from you

they are emtionaly leeches and your better off without them it's their loss,

I had some friends like that before and it sucked, but time will heal your wounds, and this will make you more mature,

are there any clubs you could maybe join to find people of like itnerest,

it's a big campus I bet you can find some real friends

good luck

*hugs*

:)

evanescencefan91 said:
are there any clubs you could maybe join to find people of like interest,

That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't really considered that. Do you know what the best way to approach something like that is? Do you just start sitting in on their meetings and try talking with people afterwords?

Hi IShouldBeStudying :D

IShouldBeStudying said:
This is far more than I ever say about myself, especially my emotions, in real life and I feel rather embarrassed about posting this much about myself.

Don't feel embarrassed. Many have posted way more about themselves :p

IShouldBeStudying said:
That you both for your replies.

LGH1288 said:
...it's difficult for some people to accept a "rising star" because not everyone's self-actualization was positive and some might feel "inferior" when relating to people they may perceive as being "on a higher level"...

I'm sorry if I came off as self important. I didn't mean to imply I was better than anybody else. I was merely trying to express my feeling of being used by the people I perceived to be my friends. I strongly believe everybody, with few exceptions in the case of people with mental illness, has roughly equivalent levels of intelligence even though it may manifest in different ways. I only mentioned what was said to the college professor as a point of pride; I don't believe myself to be above anybody else.

Oh! I really didn't mean it that way at all! I meant it as a compliment and from a personal perspective. I've often thought that people sometimes get put off by me and don't like me because I usually speak candidly about my own accomplishments not to be an arrogant braggart but to share who I am. Why should I feel ashamed of myself? My achievements are my reality and they have defined the direction of my life. If others feel inadequate I can't be held responsible for their insecurities, and I won't apologize for being who I am. There's no need. I am what I am! LG:)

IShouldBeStudying said:
evanescencefan91 said:
are there any clubs you could maybe join to find people of like interest,

That's a pretty good idea. I hadn't really considered that. Do you know what the best way to approach something like that is? Do you just start sitting in on their meetings and try talking with people afterwords?

You can find many meetings of like-minded individuals at Meetup. LG:)

Welcome to the forum.

Latest posts

Back