making money off the internet?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rigel

Reaction score
i saw a piece of news awhile back about this guy selling his virtual lot on some MMORPG for a cool 400.000 $. it was kinda amusing, but it made me wonder if there's easy money to be made online. or even some pocket money for that matter. i thought i'd ask ppl here on their personal experiences..

like what do you do to make money online? How much do you earn? did you make an initial investment? how long have you been at it?etc

My job is actually online. I'm a freelance writer and I get all of my work online. Other ways you could earn money include selling on auction sites. There are no really easy ways to make money though. I've written a lot about money making opportunities online and you typically have to put a lot of work in if you want to earn a lot. If you have a creative talent you could earn money online - photography, web designing and writing are just some of the ways you could use a talent to earn money on the internet.

No such thing as easy money, I think. I think business deals of this caliber require one unscrupulous, clever bugger and one wealthy fool to go down. Or some manner of ingenious business idea, like that big picture full of ad space some odd years back, spawned a lot of copycats. In any case, a surplus of wit, a good idea and wealthy fools required to make it work, methinks.

Situations like the one you read about are few and far between.

Making money online is really about the same as making money offline; if you have a product to sell that people want, then you'll do well.... and if you put forth the hard work, you'll make some.

You can go ahead and forget about making hundreds and hundreds online right now.

Because it's not gonna happen, unless you start the next great website sensation like Google or Myspace or something... and there are THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of people trying that same thing every day.

Just get a good job and focus on building your capital IRL. That's a better plan, really.

Badjedidude said:
Situations like the one you read about are few and far between.

Making money online is really about the same as making money offline; if you have a product to sell that people want, then you'll do well.... and if you put forth the hard work, you'll make some.

You can go ahead and forget about making hundreds and hundreds online right now.

Because it's not gonna happen, unless you start the next great website sensation like Google or Myspace or something... and there are THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS of people trying that same thing every day.

Just get a good job and focus on building your capital IRL. That's a better plan, really.

lol. thanks bjd. didn't you mention once you had a blog?? or is it my imagination

anyway i wasn't being THAT naive thinking i could cash in with thousands of bucks; i'm not that pretentious and i was just being curious really. i heard on and off about many quirky stories on making money online, like selling weapons or characters (that you painstakingly upgrade) to players of some big mmorpg to displaying your artwork or other stuff in second life; to more mainstream stuff, like writing blogs to spamming

the thing is I don't live in the states; jobs here are much harder to come by IRL and i'm at uni right now. plus where I live, the internet and ppls reliance on it is developing pretty quickly. it's a growing market. so if I can use it and there's some pocket money to be made on something online, that would be gold for me right now :D provided i can find somethin. en that's why i'm so curious about it

I am now trying to start an online buiness

The website is
Brave New Crafts : http://www.bravenewcrafts.at.vu/
or Brave New Crafts : http://bravenewcrafts.zxq.net

It's a simple online shop. It's now in the very beginning stages, so I will have to keep you posted on how things go.
If anyone else knows about this. What I would like to know is, how do you get your site to be found by Google and other search engines?

@Rigel What do you see yourself doing online?

Rigel said:
lol. thanks bjd. didn't you mention once you had a blog?? or is it my imagination

Yup. It was a scam and I didn't make anything off of it. lol

jales said:
@Rigel What do you see yourself doing online?

promoting my artwork or doing artistic portraits would work for me, should i ever get serious about it. i've seen a few other ppl doing the same thing.. anyway it's just a thought for now
but keep me posted on your business venture please:).. is it costly, setting up a website? and also did you build your own website or hire /ask someone to do it for you?

http://www.circografico.com.ar/

The website above is a really kool website. And it shows off artwork.. Just giving you some ideas..lol
Actually I didn't pay anything for my website as yet.

I plan to get a real domain and hosting...once the business thing starts making money though.

I wrote all the code and everything for my site from scratch.
It is really quite easy to do. My website is not that great though, because I was learning as I made it. With time I guess it will change, but there are lots of things on there that I should have done better.

But yea, if you are interested in getting your art out there.. a website can be a really useful tool.

But yes I will keep you posted.. on how my thing goes. But in terms of cost for the website.. for me the cost was zero so far. Just the time it took to make the website..which was about a week.

Keep in mind that I have no job or school or so..so it was really a whole week lol.

-Jales.

I've sold several RuneScape game accounts for a total value of over $500,

Although, over the years I probably spent a good amount of the money I earned on the game, and the 'bot' (program which played the game for me) I used.

I would recommend getting a real job.

A lot of people make money online on ebay. I've actually thought about trying it myself, but I'd have some pretty high competition.

Well one thing you don't do Rigel, is be an *******. That won't make you any money at all.

To make money online, simply sell bogus make money online courses like everyone else. Can I sell you one?

This thread is long dead.

since i first opened this I actually got to make some extra money via buying stuff online from ebay and selling them here for a tidy profit. easy money actually considering how cheap things are in the states. thanks for all the advice

When I saw the title I thought of youtube and youtube personalities like Jenna Marbles, Dodger, TotalBiscuit, Jesse Cox, et al, who essentially are partners of youtube, and get enough views and comments that they can actually make a living off of it and do it full-time.

I'm not sure what the exact numbers are on this, in terms of how many views you need in order to start actually earning money. The number of comments and likes also matters - but you need to have tens of thousands of people subscribing to you before you can actually start earning anything decent.

It's not like it happens without hard work though... I know that TotalBiscuit, for example, was doing podcasts and internet content for years and years, ever since university, before the stars aligned and he was suddenly starting to make steady money from doing it (I think it coincided with WoW: Cataclysm and the internet fervour surrounding that) and he has a strong enough personality and a strong enough work ethic to have gotten more and more popular since then.

I think people who make money online just get lucky. I think it's all about luck.
I would love to be able to make videos on youtube and make a living off of it, but I know I'd fail and wouldn't get anywhere with it.

I think it has to do with effort and skill more than luck. Mostly just effort. Anyone can come up with a good idea. We all have good ideas. 99% of us don't ever do anything about them. Just try to do something.

Online Poker... I used to make about a few hundred pound a month without too much effort, tax free too :) I worked out I earnt twice what I was earning at work, after a few months I got sick of playing single table tourney's all night though and sacked it off, I was seeing cards in my sleep!

Selling stuff on ebay works... but remember that ebay does take a percentage for themselves... 3% or something. Still, if it's something that you will get a nice amount for, it's easy money.

I have made a little money online. About £100. I made it by joining up to a few survey websites. Basically, for completing online surveys, I'd get between 50p & £2. After I earned about £35, I could cash out. 2 Sites paid me right into my Bank via Paypal whilst one sent me a check. Took about 2 months to earn though.

Latest posts

Back