I'm not okay!!!!!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucrezia333

Reaction score
Okay so, I'm 24 years old and up till recently I was a virgin. I met this friend of my cousin last August and we became really good friends. As he was from another town (about an hr away) ever since our first chat online, we kept talking non-stop every day online for 3-4 hours (sometimes maybe more) through the messenger. We would talk about everything and anything; from family issues, to past loves, to aspirations, to future plans and aspects on life. And we seemed to be having a lot in common both in our interests and in general other factors in our lives.

So after about 3 1/2 half months (in the meantime we would visit one another - cause as I said before he is a friend of my cousin so he would either come to see his friends in my hometown or I would go and see him whenever I could in his town) we both started getting very frustrated that we didn't have any emotional contact with a partner as we both felt (and had) the need to feel something from another human being, like a hug or a little bit of tenderness. So we agreed that we could have like hugging sessions the next time we'd see each other to get this feeling off of us, like from one friend to another friend as a sort of help. In early December when he visited my town we got together one night and we hugged for ten minutes. At the beginning it felt strange, and then it got really comfortable. But not sparks right away.

Then we decided to keep this on. Then I left for a week for holidays but we'd still chat online. When I came back from my holiday we met again and we hugged again. This time it became more intense and fiery. But still nothing happened. I kept telling him that I wouldn't want to screw our friendship up and if I wasn't a virgin I might even consider sleeping with him, but I didn't want to mess what we had up. The next morning we got together again for one of our hugging sessions, as usual. This time whilst hugging, very intensely, he turned towards me and said 'can I try one thing?' and I said yes and he kissed me. And that was it. It didn't feel weird at all, it felt very normal and natural and it seemed like we couldn't get enough of each other. And I decided I wanted to sleep with him, to actually have sex for the first time, without this meaning that would destroy our friendship or that we'd automatically become a couple (as I'm not a big fan of relationships, we decided to call it 'friends with benefits'). Labels in my opinion are wrong as they define things that sometimes are not there, but anyways.

So we spent all of Xmas holidays together (as he would stay all the Xmas period @ his grandparents’ house). And so we'd meet early in the morning and we'd spent the whole day together. Every day, all day for a week and a half. And after the Xmas holidays he'd start college (his college is an hr away from my town, but up in the mountains) so we'd see each other more seldom.

And that's when the big issue for me begins: he moved away, and during the first couple of weeks I was trying to go and see him at least once a week so that we don't lose this physical connection. As I've never really had such a kind of contact with a man before (btw he's 2 yrs younger than me) I don't know how to handle such situations. And during the 2nd week when I went up to his college to see him we had our first fight. He wasn't prepared to see me, but he didn't tell me beforehand cause he didn't want to hurt me, and he erupted when I went up there. It's been a little more than a month since he started his college and I'm still in my hometown (which I want to leave) in my steady on-going job (which although I have no complaints about, it does not satisfy me in the least since it's not what I want to do with my life) whilst he started something new in his life, and he's really enjoying himself.

We still have daily communication thru online messenger for quite a few hrs per day, but since he left I have not slept one night without either waking up in the middle of it and start thinking about him, or worrying that he might start to fancy another girl (there's this girl they hang out, she's really cool and she has more or less the same interests as I do, and she's really open-minded and free-spirited as I am), or worry that without the physical contact I might slowly start to fade away from his life.

At the beginning and for a whole month, I'd text him every single morning just to say 'good morning' but I felt that it was a bit too much of a girlfriend thing and that he'd always respond cause he wouldn’t want to hurt me or out of obligation. He doesn't talk about his feelings towards me (although just before he moved to college he said he'd love me-as a very close friend I presumed, as he does not believe in the romantic love as well) and he's a person who doesn't talk, he acts more. I asked him, jokingly a couple of times if he fancies that girl, and he said she's not his type, but having not seeing how she looks like, I'm so worried. I'm an over-weight girl, with many low-confidence issues and I am worried that if we don’t see each other that often he will soon grow out of me.

Ever since he started college I don’t sleep well, I don’t eat very much, I’m moody, I don’t speak much, I avoid my parents (I always used to have a good relationship with my parents, especially my mom whom I used to tell her EVERYTHING and ever since I got together with this guy I stopped opening up to her cause I didn’t want to jinx it). We are of course keeping this whole ‘friends with benefits’ between us as we don’t want our other friends or my cousin to find out, in case things get awkward. I feel depressed most of the times and I’m very sad when he doesn’t text or if he’s very cold and distant thru the messenger. Of course you’ll tell me, it’s an online messenger, it will always be cold. But it didn’t use to be before he went away as he’d always put kiss or hugging emoticons and he would be different in the way he spoke to me (even online).

I should add that we have met every week since he went away, but we only had sex twice, and the last time it was very raw, not cold exactly but it didn’t have the tenderness it used to have during the Xmas period (he used to hug me so much after the ‘act’ before) and now due to time limitation mostly (cause we don’t have a place to just lie with ease) we just do it and get on with it. I’m angry all the time now and most of the times envious that he gets to be doing something which he loves so much. He keeps telling me that because he’s doing something he loves so much, he doesn’t miss me as much, and he doesn’t think about his friends (including me, as I’m one of the friends) as much as he used to.

I miss him so much though. Yesterday again I woke up at 2.30am and couldn’t sleep again. He will be driving back in his hometown with this girl again (she’s giving him a lift) and she’ll be driving back with him at the college on Sunday night. And I won’t get to see him till next week, when I go up briefly just to get something off of him. I am worried he’ll find the new girl exciting and fun, whilst I’m growing dreary and boring. Of course this might not be the case AT ALL, but since he doesn’t talk about his (whatever) feelings he may or may not have about me, I’m left to assume a lot.

My life didn’t use to revolve around him though. Six months ago, I was a total different person; I’m a very strong, positive (most of the times) person with a can-do attitude that wanted to live and enjoy things. And now all I think about is a guy. I’m a bit of a tomboy as well, so not into fashion, nails and hair AT ALL, and being someone’s girlfriend and chasing him all the time it’s not really my thing. I just texted him good morning now and I know he might take ages to reply, if he replies at all.

I’m at my wits end. I cannot keep living my life in this way. I got so depressed this week I saw no point in living at all. Everything is so vain and without consequence. And in a greater extend, what I’m going through with this person shows me that life has not a real point really. Even if I wanted to do things, what would be the purpose of them? Human beings are so vain and greedy, they are never satisfied. I just want our friendship to go back to the way it was, without me thinking what he’s up to all the time or whether he thinks about me the way I do. He was the one to introduce me to this Forum; hence I took the initiative to write what I’ve been going through these past few months. He calls me dramatic and extreme most of the times (I’m into the Arts by the way, and theatre most specifically, but not as an actress) so I tend to over-exaggerate and make a big-deal out of things.

He often says that I’m selfish and very ego-centric because I’m very individualist as a person. Having lived for 6 years away from my parents (studies and then work) I have learned how to take care of myself and I am very much of an individualist thinker (I always look out for me first and foremost). But if this were entirely true, and if indeed I’m as selfish and ego-centric as he accused me of being, I would have cut and run from this whole situation. Without me knowing I’m left asking him when I’ll get to see him or be with him (physical and not) and it’s like he’s the one making up the rules of when we’ll see each other now.

Every time he says to me ‘you can’t have me all to yourself woman, you got to compromise and you knew how the situation would be when we first started this whole thing’. Before he went away I told him to tell me that whenever he wanted out of this thing, that I’d want him to tell him and that above all I see him as a friend and that what I need most out of him is honesty. He is very kind at moments and whenever we do get to see each other he kisses me, but he’s not giving me sex as much as I thought he would be for a guy. He told me before that sex is not really the biggest need in his life, and as long as he has me to satisfy this need when he wants to, he’s more than happy to keep what we have for a very long time.

So that’s it. I could go on and blubber all day long about this thing but I’ve already wrote too much. Can someone help me or advice me on how I can feel good again, on how to find pleasure in the simple things and on how to focus on myself again? I stopped going to the theatre which I used to love, and now I don’t even find satisfaction to even going to see a play. A friend of mine keeps telling me that it’s time I leave this whole situation behind.

I also have quite a good relationship with his sister and a couple of weeks ago I called her up and we had an in-depth conversation (girl to girl) and told her that I love her brother very much. Not just cause of the sexual connection that we have developed but the mental relationship which we have. She was so happy to hear me say this, as she knew from the first moment she found out about us that we are very good together (I met her during Christmas and we liked each other very much and we hanged out as well). His sister is very positive towards me, although his mom wouldn’t be thrilled if she’d find out about me and him, as she has high hopes of getting him involved with a highly paid woman of a position and status. He is against marriage himself, as am I, and hates his mom meddling in his private situations. I met his mom and she was very kind to me, although I could tell that she wouldn’t want to see her son having someone like me as a lover.

What are your opinions on my story? Anyone that can help me at all?

P.S. Sorry for the ‘book’ I wrote. I got carried away to get everything down. I want this person so much in my life, and don’t know whether it is cause he was my first or whether we’re such good friends, but I wouldn’t want to screw this all up by my incessant jealousies and over-bearing attitude.

Yeah, I agree Lim. I did read it all though, and it sounds like the stereotypical friends with benefits situation. They promise not to fall in love but somebody, usually the girl, gets attached. First, I think you should give him space, your desire to be with him so badly only makes it worse. Try to go out and meet other people and make new friends to focus on. Hopefully, he'll get his honeysuckle together, or you'll get him to explain what the fresia he's doing, but most likely he just wants to be a college kid...

Your in love with him...just admit it..

Its okay...stop fighting it.
What you resist persist...
We accept it...youLL feel a sense of releave...then one day it'll fade..
or you'll fall ou of love with him..

Then oneday you'll just tell him to go jerk off whe he wants maintence...
You deserve better.

Your a smart gal..you know you.d get attached to guys after you have sex wiht him...good god especsilly after some emotional bonding...
come on...stopped fooling urself with the labels...

In too deep by SUm 41...
It helps me proess some of the stuff I go through with Francis.lol

Its Okay to not be okay...

Try cutting him off or see other men

woah catherdal that's a little harsh he might be using a touch screen or something,

you don't need to use such harsh words if you don't like someone's writing ok

ans *hugs lucrezia*

I'm sorry about that whole situation, how long is he going to be at college?

do you think he would be interested in a long distance relationship or if you could do that?

those can be very hard so unless he'll be back soon or you're both dedicated it might be wise to move on

I know that's hard just take it one day at time and eventually you'll be okay

you sound like a cool girl, I'm sure you can find another guy

but if you need to wallow that's fine sleep in eat ice cream and all that good stuff,

but eventually take a long shower and focus on something whatever besides this,

take up a hobby of someking learn a new instrument or paint

sudoku is quite addictive

when my life was crap, I would ride my bike a lot or i would play racketball

i hope that helps a little

:)

evanescencefan91 said:
woah catherdal that's a little harsh he might be using a touch screen or something,

you don't need to use such harsh words if you don't like someone's writing ok

ans *hugs lucrezia*

I'm sorry about that whole situation, how long is he going to be at college?

do you think he would be interested in a long distance relationship or if you could do that?

those can be very hard so unless he'll be back soon or you're both dedicated it might be wise to move on

I know that's hard just take it one day at time and eventually you'll be okay

you sound like a cool girl, I'm sure you can find another guy

but if you need to wallow that's fine sleep in eat ice cream and all that good stuff,

but eventually take a long shower and focus on something whatever besides this,

take up a hobby of someking learn a new instrument or paint

sudoku is quite addictive

when my life was crap, I would ride my bike a lot or i would play racketball

i hope that helps a little

:)

I know I am smarter than that and thank you all for your kind replies. Indeed I have to face up to it, that whether I like it or not, I got attached (fool me).

Evanescencefan91: He is going to be in this college for two and a half years. It's like I'm in a long-distance relationship wthout me even realizing it, cause when I first started this whole thing with him, I did not think that I would have to deal with the distance issue so much and it kills me.But what eats my insides the most is that other girl: jealousy in a woman is not a good thing, and I'm starting to get extremely paranoid, as he spends quite some time with this girl up in his college, who has exactly the same interests as me (plus she's there with him 24/7) they go to each other's rooms and stuff, they play cardboard games, they listen to music. I mean she seems like a really nice girl and someone I could be friends with, he even told her about me (not that we're friends with benefits) but that he has a friend who has similar interests to her, and she said she'd like to meet me some time. But I cannot get rid of all of my paranoia and my insane jealous thinking that he might end up liking her like he liked me at the end. :-S........

What do I do? Do I just sit there and listen to him or watch him drifting slowly away from me? The reason for my paranoia its mostly cause he neve gives me some assurances, on what we have, or how he feels, or whether he's still into me or not. His attitude has become very insensitive (in a general level - not just with me) and although he chats to me a lot still, I sense he's altering in his character. Or should I just.....I don't know leave? I cannot have sex with anyone else. It took me 24 years to finally let go and give into a guy and I'm not the type of woman who's just gonna hop into bed straight away.

What do I do? How can I stop being jealous?

I think, despite the fact that you say you don't believe in labels, romantic love, even marriage and such, some parts of you do. Just the mere fact that you are asking for a sense of assurance or even some answers if he is in to you (still) or not is evidence enough that you like having someone and you believe in romantic relationship. That is ok. What would you want now, a real relationship or the sort of friends with benefits thing? (I think you want the real one with him though, I might be wrong)

This might sound irrelevant but acknowledging what you want in and out of a person, what you want in your life, what you believe, change your whole approach to guys and your approach to them changes their approach on you. If you believe in pure friends with benefits, no strings attach, let's fresia and get over it sort of relationship, most probably than not, guys would just give you that (except in some special cases though, like they fall in love and live happily ever after, but those happen very rarely in real life). But if you want a stable relationship, since I think you are the kind of person that once she gives a huge part of herself to someone, that means you care for him dearly or you might even be in love with him, then don't entertain arrangement that will be risky for you (like falling in love with your friends with benefit partner). It's like giving out aura. If you give out auras that says 'I'm the type of girl who wants a real relationship and no fooling around business' guys would feel that so they know how how to approach you. But if you give out aura that says 'I'm a free spirited person and anything goes, real relationship or friends with benefits can do' expect that if you fall in love with someone whom you agreed to make arrangements, that person is not entitled or obliged to reciprocate the feelings you will develop towards him. I know this is the first time that this has happened to you but knowing this from now on can help in your meeting new guys.

But on how to stop being jealous, sadly I must say that is a very slow and agonizing process that only time can determine. Maybe some tips I heard about that I can give you would be 'if you are in pain, feel it and depart from it'. acknowledge your feelings, you are broken hearted . You don't know whether to move on or wait for him. It is your decision. (for me I think you should move on) Listen to music you can relate, watch movies you can relate, be angry at him if you must, and wait til it doesn't hurt so much anymore. But in all that, always try to do something that diverts your attention away from him. I hope you do feel better faster (hugs)

I don't know if this will be applicable but this is what I think :)

floffyschneeman said:
I think, despite the fact that you say you don't believe in labels, romantic love, even marriage and such, some parts of you do. Just the mere fact that you are asking for a sense of assurance or even some answers if he is in to you (still) or not is evidence enough that you like having someone and you believe in romantic relationship. That is ok. What would you want now, a real relationship or the sort of friends with benefits thing? (I think you want the real one with him though, I might be wrong)

This might sound irrelevant but acknowledging what you want in and out of a person, what you want in your life, what you believe, change your whole approach to guys and your approach to them changes their approach on you. If you believe in pure friends with benefits, no strings attach, let's fresia and get over it sort of relationship, most probably than not, guys would just give you that (except in some special cases though, like they fall in love and live happily ever after, but those happen very rarely in real life). But if you want a stable relationship, since I think you are the kind of person that once she gives a huge part of herself to someone, that means you care for him dearly or you might even be in love with him, then don't entertain arrangement that will be risky for you (like falling in love with your friends with benefit partner). It's like giving out aura. If you give out auras that says 'I'm the type of girl who wants a real relationship and no fooling around business' guys would feel that so they know how how to approach you. But if you give out aura that says 'I'm a free spirited person and anything goes, real relationship or friends with benefits can do' expect that if you fall in love with someone whom you agreed to make arrangements, that person is not entitled or obliged to reciprocate the feelings you will develop towards him. I know this is the first time that this has happened to you but knowing this from now on can help in your meeting new guys.

But on how to stop being jealous, sadly I must say that is a very slow and agonizing process that only time can determine. Maybe some tips I heard about that I can give you would be 'if you are in pain, feel it and depart from it'. acknowledge your feelings, you are broken hearted . You don't know whether to move on or wait for him. It is your decision. (for me I think you should move on) Listen to music you can relate, watch movies you can relate, be angry at him if you must, and wait til it doesn't hurt so much anymore. But in all that, always try to do something that diverts your attention away from him. I hope you do feel better faster (hugs)

I don't know if this will be applicable but this is what I think :)

Well I just confronted him on the telephone, in a nice manner ofc, we had a very long chat now, and he said to me that he doesnt know whether I'm in love or not, but when it comes to him it's not by a long shot in love. He loves me but as a friend, and that he won't ever have a relationship with any girl in his college cause it would be too complicated. As I said before, I don't know how it is to be in love, cause I've never been in lover before. All I know is that I cry a lot (he says that's cause I'm emo), I don't eat and I don't sleep, and very introvert now than I have ever been in my life. I do want him sexually and ofc to have a winning place in his heart, not necessarily all this goo-in-love stuff, as for a relationship, I don't think that's at all my style, hence my depression in projecting so much (texting, phoning etc). I hate all this honeysuckle, and I would never do that before. He will becoming down this week and I asked him if he'd like to see me and said yes. I know I should move on, but move onto where? Where do I start and how can I focus on someone else when he's the male I want to keep me satisfied. (he's not very attractive, but because he got me mentally, he drew me in) And if I'm not in love, then why am I jealous that he hangs out with other girls? :-S

hey i'm sorry for the pain you are experiencing. i dont have a lot to say, just a little bit of advice...please never be dependent of someone to be happy, to love yourself and care for yourself etc. i know this sounds simple but i really wanna stress to you that it is true. focus on yourself, hang out with other guys or do anything that takes your mind off him, he doens't derserve your love if he doens't appreciate it.

Its okay to feel jealpouse..Its okay to have fears...everybody has them..

will..I would be jealouse and afraid too if I feel Im losing someone or something out of my life...

Its not everyday that u experince jealousy so ur just going through a learning cruve. The next time you will handle it different...

Stop beating up urself. Its okay to make mistakes or mess up...not be perect...
Your learning from it...hands on.

Its ok to be human. Its okay to be you.

Its okay to cry if you feel hurted.
Please dont punish or comdemn yourself. The feelings will pass .
The quicker you allow urself to process it..the quicker you will come out of it..
Just stroll through the process..or walk through it...

"I know it's over, but still I cling, I don't know where else I can go".. smiths

i reckon if you really care/love someone you open your heart and run the risk of being hurt.. man, what a game eh? so how much should you open yourself up to someone.. anyone.. what's the risk? well, you know yourself better than anyone, how much you give is up to you.. how you judge what you are getting in return, is up to you.. feeling like you are investing too much? and now the risks and the signs are giving you a sense of an impending fall? i would pull back a little.. or at least 'try' to pull back.

to me, it seems you have very strong feelings for him and the repercussions of him not reciprocating are hurting you already..

from what you have written, i'm not much of a fan of this guy.. seems he is critical of you and implies that your feelings are character flaws.. that sort of stuff gives me the shits. seems to me he has a pretty sweet deal for the superficial satisfying of his urges without having to involve or invest anything emotionally.. pretty cheap really.

unfortunately it seems you are in part responsible for creating the 'friends with benefits' situation and essentially giving him the green light to behave in this manner.

i would try to be honest with myself and not sell myself short by denying my feelings and repressing them for fear of not 'seeing' anything better or feeling like i don't deserve anything better. i would probably be direct with him and 'lay it all out', your fears and jealousies and all..

i would risk it all rather than hide from myself.

in my opinion, you deserve better.

good luck to you

PoWer2tHePeOpLE said:
"I know it's over, but still I cling, I don't know where else I can go".. smiths

i reckon if you really care/love someone you open your heart and run the risk of being hurt.. man, what a game eh? so how much should you open yourself up to someone.. anyone.. what's the risk? well, you know yourself better than anyone, how much you give is up to you.. how you judge what you are getting in return, is up to you.. feeling like you are investing too much? and now the risks and the signs are giving you a sense of an impending fall? i would pull back a little.. or at least 'try' to pull back.

to me, it seems you have very strong feelings for him and the repercussions of him not reciprocating are hurting you already..

from what you have written, i'm not much of a fan of this guy.. seems he is critical of you and implies that your feelings are character flaws.. that sort of stuff gives me the shits. seems to me he has a pretty sweet deal for the superficial satisfying of his urges without having to involve or invest anything emotionally.. pretty cheap really.

unfortunately it seems you are in part responsible for creating the 'friends with benefits' situation and essentially giving him the green light to behave in this manner.

i would try to be honest with myself and not sell myself short by denying my feelings and repressing them for fear of not 'seeing' anything better or feeling like i don't deserve anything better. i would probably be direct with him and 'lay it all out', your fears and jealousies and all..

i would risk it all rather than hide from myself.

in my opinion, you deserve better.

good luck to you

Well either way I'm getting hurt it seems daily. I know I need to run away from this person as soon as possible. Again last night I didn't sleep a wink. He met a girl via the msn messenger and according to him they 'hit it off'. He seems to be too quick to replace me with all these other new girls and I'm suppose to be the friend who listens. I don't know if this is love, but it feels like honeysuckle. I don't smile anymore, I've lost my appetite and my zest for life, and it seems pointless to go on.

I am beyond the jealousy point now. I feel hurt and wounded to an extent I have never before felt in my entire life. I have been through horrible situations before, but this is indeed my limit. I don't know how I can go on speaking to him, as I feel in every step of the way that he makes me one of his options in his life and really does not care for me the way I thought he did.

I feel so cheap as I entrusted this person something extremely precious to me, and he simply took whatever he wanted away from it, caring only for his urges and desires, and now that his appetite has reached a satiable state he's growing apart and cold.

I'm at a loss. Today I got up and didn't even have the will to put my clothes to go to work. I feel like I'm one step away of a total collapse..........help me please!

I feel so hurt thinking I was merely a quick fresia for him.... :(
How could he make me believe in him, that he was good and honest and now he hurts me so much he can't even see it or acknowledge it....? :(

Latest posts

Back