Cognitive behavioural therapy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funkymonkey

Reaction score
I have been speaking to a mental health team today who have recommended this for me.
Anyone have experience in this type of therapy they'd like to tell me about.?

I've been dealing with depressive stuff since I was a little kid, since about 8 yrs old...and at the age of 42 its really time for this to end. its broken lots of my relationships, lost me jobs, lost me having the life that others daily take for granted..

I just pretended all was OK when it and I was not and I never was really OK just to please others.
And now I'm just tired of that false smile I wore for them.

I work in the behavioral & mental health field and I also see a therapist on a regular basis.

I firmly believe that therapy would benefit anyone. It's so great to have someone to talk to that is completely unbiased. I've found it extremely helpful.

I too have been depressed all my life, and for so long that I can't see the start of it, especially no end to it.
I have been on three CBT programmes, all in all they have helped a lot. My only criticisism is that when the excitement of the course has finished and the dust settles down what happens next. Without doubt I always find that life on programmes is portayed as being so rosey, so worthwhile but in reality life is not as text book as it seems is it. I try to stick to my master plan and getting on again but I must admit it's very difficult even after doing these programmes.
Everyone is different, everyone takes things from them that can help so hope you go ahead with yours.

hermes said:
I too have been depressed all my life, and for so long that I can't see the start of it, especially no end to it.
I have been on three CBT programmes, all in all they have helped a lot. My only criticisism is that when the excitement of the course has finished and the dust settles down what happens next. Without doubt I always find that life on programmes is portayed as being so rosey, so worthwhile but in reality life is not as text book as it seems is it. I try to stick to my master plan and getting on again but I must admit it's very difficult even after doing these programmes.
Everyone is different, everyone takes things from them that can help so hope you go ahead with yours.

I can relate to this ^

I am convinced that the point of therapy to create dependance. Remember, this is an industry and there is loads of cash to be made. If therapy heals people then why is it an enormous and ever growing industry? It seems to me that if CBT was as amazing and healing as it's touted to be that therapists would largely be out of work and the industry would be quite small.
Just like weight watchers. If it actually worked (helped people to lose the weight and develop the appropriate coping skills to keep it off) then they would go out of business over a period of time.
Therapists nearly always recommend CBT because it's what they do the most of, their bread and butter. Give it a try if you think it may help. I wish you best of luck and hopefully it will help you. But be careful.

Latest posts

Back