Weight loss and night eating

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A new life

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

Could you help me out by sharing your PERSONAL EXPERIENCE please.

I want to know if anybody has noticed any benefit to not eating at night.

Please don't quote me the party line, or what Oprah said or Dr. Oz.

or the AMA, or any other "experts"

I want to know if it worked for YOU.

Thanks.

i just changed my eating habits and lost 40 lbs. i never exercised or anything. it took a year and a half though. i still ate at night half the time because i cant go to sleep if im hungry and i already sleep terribly. thats all i really got for you.

It worked for me. I used to be a "nighttime reward eater". I would go all day and eat responsibly, breakfast, lunch and dinner, even snacks. Then before bed around 7pm and later, I would start to say Hey, What the Hell? and eat ice cream, a bowl of cereal or granola, some chocolate or whatever I could get my hands on. Since I have been able to stop doing this I have lost significant weight.

edgecrusher said:
i just changed my eating habits and lost 40 lbs. i never exercised or anything. it took a year and a half though. i still ate at night half the time because i cant go to sleep if im hungry and i already sleep terribly. thats all i really got for you.

So many have said that same thing about not sleeping if they don't eat late at night. Insomnia is torture! I've had a little luck drinking SLEEPY TIME EXTRA tea and taking MELATONIN. (In some people this can have bad consequences) One side affect that I've noticed is very vivid dreams.
Not bad ones, just very vivid.

Why not just restrict yourself to a certain calorie intake and then take the last part of the calorie intake before going to bed?

I lowered my daily intake to 1500 calories, except for a "wild" Saturday of around 3000 (to deliberately trip up my metabolism and keep it from establishing a stable operating level). And I got off my ass. Pushups, situps, and running, mostly. You'd be surprised what you can lose with just the basics. After enough weight loss and muscle gain to allow me to work out more seriously, I began lifting.

Now I'm starting P90X with further fat loss and toning in mind.

In total I lost around 50-60 lbs. Took me around a year; that's a decent amount of loss. Any faster and you're probably losing it too quickly.

Hope that helps a bit.

SophiaGrace said:
Why not just restrict yourself to a certain calorie intake and then take the last part of the calorie intake before going to bed?

Because food tastes good.

Yes, eating at night can really screw you up. In periods when I go out alot, drink quite alot of alcohol and eat alot of fast foods on the go, I tend to gain quite a bit of weight.

At other times (e.g. when I'm in exams or just take it easier for a while) when I manage to eat 3 meals a day, sleep regular hours and snack something small/healthy every 3 hours, I lose most of the weight again, quite rapidly.

Never really noticed a difference for me to be honest. Though I started losing a ton of weight after I hit my head one day and started not being able to stand the taste of bread or pasta. Somehow not eating those things = losing weight for my body.

not sure how the hell that works though.

I was very obese few years back, had tried various methods to reduce my weight. I used to go the gym everyday and my diet plan was totally unrealistic but my weight never reduced. So I went to doctor to find a solution, he prescribed me few natural herbal supplements, when I started using these capsules I lost a lot of weight and never experienced any kind of side effects.

Melatonin causes vivid dreams!? fresia, that's what that was! XD I'm taking that honeysuckle again! Yeah!

And, the best form of weight loss is taking care of your body. BJD is right the basics work, but really, discipline works best.

^^^Yup.

It can't be a "oh I'll do it today I guess and maybe later this week."

You need to set up a routine and STICK TO IT, and then each week or so MAKE IT HARDER. That's key to getting in shape. Once your routine becomes easy, you're not making progress anymore so you need to step it up and start something harder or faster... as long as it's difficult and tiring, you know you're doing well (without going overboard, of course).

I am desperate. I never gained so much weight in my life. Now I have to get rid of 30 extra kg (guess that woudl be 60 lbs.). Any advice that works? Tried some weight loss products, including the famous acai berry cure, but gained even more weight with that. Can`t eat during the day, only in the late afternoon and at night. Considering my heart problems, it`s urgent, I lose weight. But how?

zero said:
I am desperate. I never gained so much weight in my life. Now I have to get rid of 30 extra kg (guess that woudl be 60 lbs.). Any advice that works? Tried some weight loss products, including the famous acai berry cure, but gained even more weight with that. Can`t eat during the day, only in the late afternoon and at night. Considering my heart problems, it`s urgent, I lose weight. But how?

You can probably lose 5 kg or so of water weight in just a few days by:
  • Avoiding sodium

• Eating potassium rich foods (never take potassium supplements)

• Drinking lots and lots of water

Good luck to you

zero said:

Everything you need to know has already been said in this thread. Take the time to read previous entries.

That will show you how.

P.S. There's no "miracle" way to lose weight FAST FAST FAST. Healthy weight loss takes time and a lot of hard work; you just have to grit your teeth and get it done bit by bit.

zero said:

Check out this BBC article on how soup helps "trick" your pyloric sphincter and helps you lose weight:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8068733.stm

Learn to make your own soup, as store-bought soup is too often heavy laden with sodium
(bad for the heart, bad in the short-term for weight loss because you take on water weight)

Latest posts

Back