Forget the 'E,' focus on the 'F'

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smile

Reaction score
A smoker for almost 50 years, Roger Penny was trying to quit the pack-a-day habit he started at age 15.

A friend suggested he try electronic cigarettes, so Penny went on the Internet and ordered a trial pack.

Most of the electronic cigarette manufacturers are based in China, it seems. But Penny chose an American manufacturer. One based close to his Englewood home: Direct E-cig in Naples.

An electronic cigarette, called an e-cigarette, consists of a battery-powered atomizer and a cartridge with nicotine and propylene glycol, a chemical used in antifreeze and some cosmetics. When a person draws on the e-cigarette the atomizer heats up and vaporizes the chemicals so the person can inhale the vapor. Think of it as sucking on a cigarette-sized aerosol can of nicotine.

There’s no smoke, tar or tobacco, but, in my opinion, this can’t be good for you.
Penny’s complaint, however, wasn’t about the safety or efficacy of the device. Penny thought he would pay $4.95 for shipping and handling and, if he didn’t like it, he could return it without extra costs.

“If you read the terms, you have 14 days to call and cancel or they will bill your credit card $109,” Penny said. “Here’s the catch. They won’t answer their phone and they won’t respond to e-mails.”

Penny said he tried 20 times to reach the company to tell them his kit was incomplete and he couldn’t use the device. He sent e-mails that were never answered.

The company’s terms say you must contact them to get an authorization number before sending the kit back. Because Penny could never reach Direct E-cig, he couldn’t return the kit and was billed $109.

Penny contested the credit card charge and the refund is pending, he said.
I feel Penny’s pain trying to get in contact with this company. I finally got through to voicemail after holding about five minutes, listening to a tune so irritating it’s no wonder people hang up.

Latest posts

Back