What do you think of this Quote?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

Do you think it's true?

“You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.” -Anonymous

I think it's true. And even though I think it's possible to give love even if you don't love yourself, I really believe you have to love yourself first before you can truly accept love from another person.

I think if you try to give love if you don't love yourself, then you're just trying to escape from yourself into the other person. Which can create an unhealthy dynamic. Just my thoughts.

SophiaGrace said:
I think if you try to give love if you don't love yourself, then you're just trying to escape from yourself into the other person.

i think i know what you mean...it's like trying to fill a void.

I think the quote is interesting, but it would be easier if we had some concrete definition of what love is. And then there's all of these supposed different types and levels of love too. It is possible to love yourself as a whole but still have problems with some individual parts. I don't know, love is kind of a confusing concept to me. I wish it was simple. I think you can love someone without loving yourself first. It might not be healthy and it might not be for the right reasons but I feel that its possible.

SophiaGrace said:
By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.
I'm not sure I agree with that part. It might be that the more comfortable we are with ourselves the more we focus our thoughts and energy towards things outside of ourselves.

Everyone have their own perception and understanding.
It can be true if you want it to be true.
If you believe it to be true..youll live in accordance to ur beliefs.

Its a conception not a concept.

To understand in the context of this quote.
There is an idea or belief system from the person that wrote this quote.
As I understand what the author is trying to express.

Self acceptence is accepting all of me..my goods. my bads, my flaws...Loving all of me as I am.
In other words...I know my honeysuckle stinks N everyone else honeysuckle stinks too. No one is perfect or can
be all perfect to that idea of what a perfect or ultimate human being SHOULD BE...Jesus fucken christ.
In other words...I know I fresia up N fall way ******* short of perfection. I care N love myself with all my mistakes..
So when others fucks up...Im more graceful or forgiving for other cuz Im more forgiving of myself.
I stopped judging N condemning myself...then I stopped N condemning others.
I understand myself as a human...so I can understand others as being humans.

making others happy??? will honeysuckle...the concept of loving myself first and being ok with me first.
Being happy with who I am..cuz ultimately others cant make me happy...
So..if others cant make me happy..then how in the fresia am I going to make others happy?

Im responsible for my own happiness..No?
Then other should be responsible for thier happiness too...

However..I do get that if Im happy and puts out that vibe or energy..others around me will feel that energy.
Other people still have to make thier chioces to be happy.

K...in my own personal experience of applying the principles of this quote ( its messages Ive heard for years from support groups)
Its bascailly saying the samething as YOU CANT GIVE WHAT YOU DONT HAVE.
My awareness/perceptions/conciousness of life had changed or expanded throughout the years.
My beliefs system had also alter or grew. I work the 12 steps program and the steps helps me to be self supporting @ the core of my being.
Today I dont belive in a god or HP. I however try to apply healthy living principles or spiritaul principles to the best of my ablities.
Loving myself first and formost..took a lot of practice, in my experince..,,I dont love myself or care about myself 100% of the time...and theres still
people the came into my life. I wasnt as self absorbing or a fucken vacumme like i used to be. I had a lot of good times and people that came into
my life still cares for me as a person.
Where Im at in my life ..especailly now..with Renae and trying to rebuild relationships with her our duaghters.
I also recently spoken to my daughter Kimberly and Ive also met her sister.( which i changed her diapers) I have another daughter.
So now i have a total of 5 daughters all in their .
Renae is not perfect. All of my daughters have thier living challenges.
I love all my girls unconditionally.
I have to draw power, love, energy from within me (some believe god is within me) to be self supporting.
However when Renae puts her arms around me, hugs me and tells me she loves me..its just so much easier to feel happy.
At the sametime Renae is very happy. She said she hasnt been this happy for a long time.
Shes very much in love with me and happy being around me.
So to a certain degree theres some truth to this quote thats happening in my life.

SophiaGrace said:
Do you think it's true?

TRUE.

You must love yourself before you love another.

As a Christian, this is just identical to Jesus' teaching of the 2 great commandments : LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOUR AS YOURSELF.

I believe that if one does not have love of oneself won't be able to love anyone else.

By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.”

The first phase to acceptance of oneself is knowing and evaluating our own strengths, weaknesses and limitations. That way we may know how to complement each other...

By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.”

Although I agree with the 1st part of my quote, I"m not sure how loving myself will make others happy.

kamya said:
SophiaGrace said:
By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.
I'm not sure I agree with that part. It might be that the more comfortable we are with ourselves the more we focus our thoughts and energy towards things outside of ourselves.

Hmm so you have reservations about this part too...

Interesting.

Not sure. I know that in my current relationship, I am very loved by someone who does not love himself. And he has a very simple presence... I think it's more like, how do you really know what love is when you don't love yourself? Or maybe, you don't know what love is when the one that you love first is yourself. But I don't think that loving yourself makes other people like you... Maybe women like confidence, but I think it would be creepy for someone to REALLY love themselves... I picture the "kissing the mirror" scenario....

SophiaGrace said:
Do you think it's true?

“You must love yourself before you love another. By accepting yourself and fully being what you are, your simple presence can make others happy.” -Anonymous

When you hate yourself I doubt anyone would be capable of loving you.

Latest posts

Back