What if God disappeared?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, my roommate would sure miss his evangelist TV shows.

Maybe he'd actually go out and get a job or do something otherwise productive with his time.

I get that you posted it for amusement, but I still have to roll my eyes at this sort of Christian propaganda that suggests all good things in life come from Yahweh and that without him, all is evil. Take any member of my Kindred, and they have more quantifiable honor, integrity, honesty and goodness in their pinky than most of the Christians I know have in their entire being. I do know a couple of decent ones, but they are far outnumbered by their fickle, self-righteous counterparts.

This is something Ive been struggling with for a while..but I finally
got to place of where I can live and be happy.

I work the 12 steps program and its centered around a concept of a HP or god..( to my understanding)..which is simple enough. but I'm complicated. I couldnt wrap my head or heart around the notion of god anymore. Just recently I read something in the 3rd step (turning ur will n life over to a god/hp of ur understand) Its very personal.

Anyhow...today I just apply spiritual principles or healthy living tools.
I turn my will N life over to the care of this...
living oneday at a time, be grateful, forgive N forget, keep it simple...etc

Its still kind of wierd though..becuase my gf was going through a very rough time before we got togeher..so she pray that god would guide her somehow. Now were together. Shes happy. Im happy. Our children seems happier...

There's a lot of books or literature I have about many beliefs, religion, ideas or concepts. Read that helped me open my mind a lot.

mmmm..there's plenty of people that dosnt belive in god..so if god never existed to them in the first place how can god disappeared?

Another healthy living tool is...I aint gotta figure all that honeysuckle out or have all the answers.
or bascailly figure god out..wheather theres a god or not.
I can easily obsess and go crazy trying to figure it out...

Brian said:
I do know a couple of decent ones, but they are far outnumbered by their fickle, righteous counterparts.
did you mean self-righteous? Because being righteous, in and of itself, is generally considered a good thing.

~~~
I didn't find the video particularly amusing. It's a valid argument from a Christian's standpoint. If a Christian believes that every good thing is created by God, then it logically makes sense to say that God disappearing would take away all good.

Take natural law (a legit ethical theory, btw) for example. Aquinas says in his natural law theory that every creature in the world has a natural inclination in him created by God's eternal law. So anything we do that is good is simply God's eternal law working in us naturally. If we took God away, it would take our ethical code away.

Certainly, for someone that does not believe in the Judeo-Christian God, they would not agree with such an assessment. That does not make it any less valid, or make it an amusing viewpoint. No moreso than utilitarianism or kantian ethics.

I do not feel inclined to say "It's amusing that people would think if pain and misery was completely removed from the world, we would have no ethical code to go by." Utilitarians might truly believe that without pain and misery there would be no way to make up an ethical code, as such I do not find such a statement amusing, or worthy of posting a thread to mock such a view. It is a valid ethical statement.

Likewise, if a natural law theorist wishes to say taking God away would remove all good from the earth, there is absolutely no reason to think it amusing. Coming from a natural law theorist, it makes perfect sense.

fortasse said:
did you mean self-righteous? Because being righteous, in and of itself, is generally considered a good thing.

Lol, yes. Apologies. I'm at work and it's been a 'hell' of a shift.

(Wordplay, how are you? Welcome to the thread.)

Video managed to make me chuckle a few times, as much as I do try and stay away from religious topics. Still, did cross the border with the puppy thing. Not cool, Zeus.

Brian said:
Take any member of my Kindred, and they have more quantifiable honor, integrity, honesty and goodness in their pinky than most of the Christians I know have in their entire being.

I'm sure the Society of Leopold holds differing views on that statement. Random WoD reference. :p

Brian said:
fortasse said:

Lol, yes. Apologies. I'm at work and it's been a 'hell' of a shift.
Understandable. I was confused is all, so thanks for clarifying.

I believe there's a God.
However, I believe we've been lied to by those who would manipulate us for:
Keeping the population in line (trying to get the sheeple to live their world view)
The self-serving interests of those behind the pulpit (power & prestige)
An endless supply of money for nothing more than storytelling

This concludes today's rant.
You will now be returned to your regularly scheduled activities (now in progress)

Sheer amusement?, Phaedron! That question is amusing! How can God disappear when you can't see Him in the first place? The only way He can disappear is if you lose Faith in Him, then He disappears from your life. Am I wrong?

This conversation is ******* stupid. All of yall is afraid of death anyway. Only true colors are revealed when the life is leaving your eyes, the rest if ******* ridiculous posturing and posing. Ya'll so hard core. No fear of death? Heh

Sit comfortably behind your keyboards poking fun at things like life and death. Pretty easy to do it then........

This is kid honeysuckle.

We all fear death..it's a natural human phenomenome...

Fears keep us safe in our comfortzone.
Fear of death is a good thing.
Fear of Boobies be not so good.

The truth of the matter is...I flip out when there's no boobies in my life.
Honestly just sit down and take notes of your behaviors or motives.
I can fill my head with beliefs N ideas, then create/project with whatever morals or vaules.
90% of the time however...my actions or decisions making are influence weather there's boobs in my life or not...not the fucken POPE's version
of god.

If Boobs disappeared from earth..we might as will just blow up the earth. :p

Did you know you have two natural blinde spots in your eyes?
Your brain create images to cover up those blinde spots so that it can function. Its natural.
Wonder what other honeysuckle your brain makes up so it can function????

Lonesome Crow said:
Fear of Boobies be not so good.

I believe fear of the Boobie can be completely justified. They are a downright horrifying bird sometimes. LOOK at them!

boobies-5.jpg

Those beady eyes, that voraciously hungry beak. There is no love within them, they are deaf to your screams. The blue feet cometh softly in the night, and your soul is forsaken upon their platter. Do not struggle, for your pain will be amplified; but use your last breath to bestow mercy on the women and children, for the azure terrors of another world are hence upon us.

Latest posts

Back