My online radio show.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah!

Reaction score
I mentioned that I co host an online radio show about romance and such from a geek's perspective. I figured I'd post a link, get some feedback, maybe people will enjoy it.

This is the newest episode. I'm the Irish dude.

I should probably say, I have a habit of excessively swearing, so if that's not your bag you mightn't enjoy the show.

The swearing is fine =P. I find it amusing every time the other host starts laughing after he says something. I dunno why.

Oh and on that online dating thing. The movie thing can be fun and all but it gets boring fast and its hard to keep watching when the movie sucks. The first couple times it can be fun as long as the movies are good. A lot of the good parts of watching movies with a partner requires the partner to actually physically be there.

[edit- This show is actually kind of addicting. I just finished the red 42's day show and I have to say it was the funniest honeysuckle I've listened to in a long time. It was somewhat informative too.]

Yeah, that's the thing for me, too. I'm a very touchy / feely kind of a guy, and it would suck REALLY hard knowing there's some one out there that would like to get all cuddly, but can't, and all we can do is sit at Skype.

There's another Red 42's Day episode just recorded last night sans myself, and tonight is an episode of A Critical Moment Of Awesome, where Francis and I just babble about whatever is in our heads. This week it was all monsters and scary things.

It definitely is fun. Babbling with Francis and Lisa is the best part of my week!

About the confident Dave idea and whether confidence comes before or after success. I think it all boils down to comfort.

We all like to live within our comfort zone which usually consists of a pretty limiting set of patterns. Confidence around others usually isn't something within our comfort zone. By faking confidence long enough we can become used to it and eventually our comfort zone can expand to include our confident patterns. Success doesn't have to happen at all. You just to pretend long enough to permanently expand your comfort zone to include being confident.

The reason it's so hard to become naturally confident is because we don't enjoy being outside of our comfort zone(obviously), and it takes a lot of time to expand our comfort zones to include a major attitude change. So much time that we usually give up before getting there.

[Edit - I hope this makes sense. I've been thinking and writing a lot on the relationship between comfort and happiness lately. Pages and pages and most of it is just mindless circular rambling. This part seemed relevant to the show though.]

By the way, I wanted to suggest that if you're going to have us listen, you should also provide this link, too.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Geek-Love-Radio/135742493136649?sk=wall

--

Also, regarding the long distance relationships... My last boyfriend lived a thousand miles from me. We emailed every day, spent a ton of time together on the phone, and communicated via snail mail. The hardest thing for me as far as the distance went... was that there were days I knew he was feeling really lousy, and I wanted very much to hold him.

Ultimately, I find that it is a lot easier to overcome physical distance than emotional distance. I spent years sharing a home and bed with a man who might as well have been on Gliese 581.

"I like jiggly bits. They're fu**ing hot." AWESOME.

Ah, yes, thanks. I always forget that page even exists.

As for being confident, I felt like a complete tit when I realised I had no actual plan other than "Wear a shirt." I'm starting to compile notes of things to say, and learning techniques to help my panicked state. I definitely agree with you about pretending until it all works out. That's pretty much what the whole idea is based around, convincing people I'm confident. Then better things will happen, and with any luck if the theory proves true I'll end up actually being confident, going from Confident Dave to Dave who is Confident.

It made for a funny story though. You could try having a "fresia off" shield like headphones or something and only remove it when you are prepared to try something or be approached. That way you won't get caught off guard again.

Try asking random people for directions, or ask them what they think of your shirt, or if they know any good places to get good clothes for men. I hear that works at least =P. I'll let you try it out and see how it works before I give it a go.

I usually do have head phones jammed into my head which came in handy during the anti-social years, listening to Nic Endo and Berzerker as loud as possible. Ever since I got into trip hop and rediscovered blues, it hasn't had the same effect. I'm a fairly gloomy looking guy, naturally, so I have no problem exuding a leave-me-alone aura. Tomorrow I'm starting something I learned in drama class, about looking at yourself in the mirror and reeling off a bunch of monologues to see what it looks like.

There's a lot of really harsh depressing yet honest information in this episode. If women weren't intimidating before they are now mhmm

Too true, but I do think that at least now these are things I won't have to wonder about so much. The two of them give me much food for thought, and give hope to those geeks, nerds and social rejects out there, just don't tell them I said that.

Okay... listening to the show.

I have to say, "EXACTLY" about the geeking out. My last boyfriend totally made me all melty inside when he read me comic books (and he even did the voices *squee*). The guy before him, it was when he talked about computers (he worked for Lucent Technologies). It's sexy when a guy is comfortable in his own skin.

It makes complete sense, doesn't it? I've been thinking about that all day, and have come to the conclusion that maybe those that have these problems just feel terribly boring. Using myself as an example, once in a while I'll catch myself talking about a certain writer, director, cinematographer, actor, so on, and realise I've been talking for an age. How **** boring must that be to listen to, some guy going on about Der Siebente Kontinent, or how Steve Buscemi is the best actor in the entire world right now? Is that boring? I get intensely passionate about it, launching into a verbal essay, but before I catch myself, I feel entirely in my element. Do you guys ever experience that?

I think a lot of people feel like they're probably insanely boring to others if we start rambling away about stuff. I originally had a somewhat longer explanation for the Mentos and Coke thing earlier. And zomg... we used to have these chats on Skype sometimes. I'd realize I was the only person talking, and I'd be like, "I'm boring these people to DEATH!!" and I'd stop talking.

Latest posts

Back