I believe an introduction is in order

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi, everyone. You'll have to bear with me here, I'm never any good at introductions.

Without going too much into my life story...I've always been what you could call a "lone wolf". Always kept to myself, didn't really bother mingling with other people and I've only just begun to realize how much I've actually missed out on in life. I lack friendships. I've never had a girlfriend (well, I had an online one but I don't count that because it wasn't real). This never used to bother me but at 22 years of age I'm going through a bit of a "quarter life crisis" where I've suddenly realized just what I've missed and I've gone into panic mode and now I'm desperate to make up for lost time. I started getting out of the house a bit more. Going places like the gym, swimming pool and a few Art and Creative Writing workshops in the area but I never really meet anyone my own age at these places or anyone I feel I can really connect with. I see people everywhere enjoying the company of their friends and spouses and I keep on wondering what their secret is. I see people who I knew from back in school settling down and getting married and having children which makes me feel REALLY depressed. It's pretty darn frustrating too because I KNOW that when it comes down to it, my life's not that bad. I consider myself fairly intelligent and pretty good looking and I have so much to offer the world. I just tend to hold myself back when it counts, you know? On the occasion that I do come across someone my own age or who I'm interested in, I automatically clam up and retreat into my comfort zone because I'm afraid of rejection, afraid of getting hurt. I've been hurt by a few people before and I didn't enjoy the feeling so it's as if I've wanted to steer away and just try and avoid that feeling completely, and my answer was to shut myself away from the world for the past few years.

Ever since the new year though, I've realized that hiding from life isn't any fun whatsoever. I've gotten bored with the lull I've been stuck in so I'm trying to work on getting out there a bit more and I'm looking to rectify things like not having a girlfriend. I've spent a while looking through the forums as a guest but I've signed up so I can hopefully get to know a few people and maybe offer a bit of input here and there myself.

Anyway...I went on for a little bit longer than I intended to but oh, well. I look forward to posting here and I hope you guys come to accept me :)

Hello Alive, i can relate to you quite well, always feeling like you are on the outside looking in.
I'm also guessing quality of friends is more important than quantity with you.

Anyway, best to be a wolf than a sheep my friend, and you are welcomed, even though i am just as new to this forum. :)

Welcome to the site :)

SophiaGrace said:
Where are you from?

I'm from the UK :)

JackAceDaniels said:
Hello Alive, i can relate to you quite well, always feeling like you are on the outside looking in.
I'm also guessing quality of friends is more important than quantity with you.

Anyway, best to be a wolf than a sheep my friend, and you are welcomed, even though i am just as new to this forum. :)

Oh, definitely. A counsellor once said to me that she could count the number of true friends she had on one hand. For me it would be more like a fist. But yeah, that is a good way of seeing it and it made me smile a little so thanks :)

I do still keep in touch with my ex and she's literally the only friend I've got at the moment but it's an online-only thing and sometimes I crave friendships in the real world. And it's not as if I'll ever meet her lest I win a fortune in tomorrow's Euromillions and fly over to the US lol :rolleyes: I can dream.

Interesting, yeah i have had a few online relationships with girls and they are typically unhealthy, yet sometimes fun and interesting, not all of them though of course.

I'm from the UK as well, so if you ever want to talk about anything you're free to send me a message.

There are a few of us here in the UK. There's even a thread where you can say where you are - perhaps you should have a look and see if there's anyone close to where you live.

As I'm sure you've figured out, putting yourself out there will mean that you risk being hurt. You should be proud of the courage that shows.

Good luck.

I am a loner and if you can held down a job then you should spend time and money on social activities. Get a phone and add people's number to it and slowly work on your people skills.

Hello & Welcome Alive or.
I did the opposite to you,met a girl at 16, got married at 18,divorced at 39,and wasted the last twenty years pining,angry,frustrated,and ending up a bitter and lonely old git.
Don't worry about being left behind,you are just the right age to start out on a relationship,but it's a hard thing to find someone on your own.You need to make some mates to hang out with (one of them might have a girl friend who has a friend).Plus it's easier to chat with girls when you're in a group.Or I might talking bollocks!
Any way that's my slant,but either way,good luck!

John.

Latest posts

Back