How do I stop depression related sleepiness?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanillalatte

Reaction score
I apologize in advance if this seems whiny!
Hi, um I'm not sure if this is the appropriate area to post this question, but depression forms make me uncomfortable and people here are really kind, so I figured I'd ask if anyone knew something that would help keep me awake. I'm caffeine addicted and love coffee, which you can probably tell from my username, but it's stopped being effective, so I sleep A LOT. I'm pretty sure it's depression related. My depression has been getting significantly worse, and even though I experience a lot of ups and downs mood wise, I tend to be sleepy all the time.
This is a huge problem for me, because it interferes with studying and keeping grades up, because I don't have time to do everything, especially with extracurriculars, because I sleep so much. I used to sleep for 6-8 hrs a night, and now I sleep like 14, which is excessive. I'll fall asleep at my desk even. It's been really difficult, and I feel like I didn't do nearly as well on my AP tests and PSATs as I should have because I haven't been able to devote enough time to studying. My grades are dropping too. I've been so depressed I spend most of the time sleeping, and the rest reading comics/novels and playing video games, which are obviously not productive activities, but it's the only thing that distracts me from my depression. When I try to concentrate on school I get sad and wallow in self pity, or fall asleep. I'm not like failing out of my classes, but I'm worried no good schools will take me.

Thanks if you read this! It means a lot to me, and I don't want to complain, so please tell me if I am! If anyone knows anything that might keep me up, or get me to be more motivated and not just wallowing in self pity all the time it would be great.

Two book recommendations:
Caffeine blues
The mood cure
As much as I hate to say it, caffeine maybe the problem instead of the solution.

A new life said:
Two book recommendations:
Caffeine blues
The mood cure
As much as I hate to say it, caffeine maybe the problem instead of the solution.

Thanks! I never thought of it that way. I will try those.

A new life is right - too much caffeine could be the problem. But it could also be something like anaemia, thyroid problems etc which are easily treated. I would recommend a visit to your GP.

Latest posts

Back