Networking

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m4r10w3

Reaction score
I'm basically going to this careers networking event in a few days. I'm going to research the different firms attending, I got a new suit... I still, however, know I'll be quite jittery as soon as I step in that room. Anyone got any tips for successful networking? What if I don't know anyone in the room when I arrive? Should I just try and talk to a random person? Or would that be foolish? Well, it's either that or sculling down alcoholic drinks until I pass out, I guess :S I also hope there won't be any group conversations. I hate that... I can never get a word in edgewise as soon as other people start muscling in on a convo. Ugh. I am so unprepared for this (socially).

Hello there,

I recently just graduated from college, I know exactly what you mean. I been to so many career fairs, networking events, and I was nervous and shy for most of them. However, I learned a couple things from all these events. A smile goes a long way - constantly smiling before and after you introduce yourself. It is likely the other person will smile back which will easily erase your jitters. Secondly, people loves to talk, so give them chances to talk, ask a lot of good questions about the companies, the jobs, the personal experiences they had with the company/economy - use your creativity and leave a good impressions.

Finally, tell yourself not to be nervous, even if you mess up, think of it as a lesson learned for the next event.
After many failures, I was able to land an internship and going to grad school after this summer.

Cheers.

hi,

so you feel jittery do you, well just try to remember that it will be the first time for others there too so a lot of them will be feeling just as nervous as you, and remembe, smile. Good luck and i hope all goes well for you.

best wishes,

paul.

Latest posts

Back