Do you like your birthday??

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I'm wondering if I'm alone in this one.

Every year when my birthday rolls around I find myself dreading it. I know a lot of people who look forward to their birthday as it is a day all about them, they are the centre of attention etc. But I can't stand it! I have nothing against other people celebrating their birthdays and I am generally happy to celebrate with them, but just not my birthday.

Does anyone else feel this way??

(I should probably clarify. I don't mind people that say "happy birthday" and leave it at that, I can't stand the whole what should I get you, let's have a party, lets go out, what did you get etc etc. I just kinda feel like it's a bit of a crock to celebrate the fact that 365 days have passed ?? And I really don't like the presents thing. If i want something I will get it for myself, please don't spend your hard earned money on a present for me!)

I'm pretty much the same,can't understand what all the fuss is about.
Having said that, it used to be a good excuse for going out and getting ratfaced.But when you're circling the plug hole as I am,it just means you're getting that much closer to the final slurp! :(

Hmm, let's see. Nothing interesting happens on my birthday and that number goes up!

answer: nope

hmmm, for me it's weird. a few weeks before my birthday, I would get a bit excited about it, looking forward to the greetings and the thought of having a day of my own (feeling special...and stuff (d)). But days after it, I would dread it so much. cos then I'd realize that I am getting older and that life is basically the same as when I was 13. Add to the fact that my birthday is usually uneventful. I'd feel self pity and get angry at myself for feeling it. It sucks >.<

Oh well, another year. C'est la vie.

I hate my birthday. I've never liked being the center of attention or getting presents either (I always feel guilty) but recent years have been worse since I've been having to organise my own birthday. That is, my family ask me what I want, I tell them and then they ask me to get it for myself and they'll pay me for them. So I have to go through all the rigmarol of thanking them for the presents I've had to buy, wrap and give myself and then ask them for money for (which I hate). I've even tried telling them that I'd rather have the money but they object saying I have to have presents so...yeah, I hate my birthday.

It's just another day to me. As long as I get a few happy birthday's from a few people that's good for me.

i dont particularly like mine because it is on christmas eve. so it tends to get celebrated on christmas day because the family is already all together. if it was on a different day though, im sure it would be a pretty boring lonely day.

Man I totally forgot my own birthday last year. Mom was pretty pissed when she found out.

I wish I had been born earlier on in the year, I hear that kids grow into more successful confident adults from the successes they had as children by being stronger / faster than other kids around their age.

I don't hate my birthday , hell its the day I came to be , but I don't understand the need to celebrate it every year , its just a date in which something happened that's it. I'm not saying this because I don't have with who to share the day but I really don't see the point in doing it. Again , it is just a regular day that happens to coincide with the day in which many years ago you took your first breath of air.

As I grow older (and older, LOL!) I just think of my birthday as another day. However, my family always does something special for me on that day, which is really sweet. My Sister will cook my favorite meal, someone will bring me a cake or balloons or take me out to my favorite restaurant--so it makes it special.

When I turned 30, I was already disabled and realized I was never going to be able to have children. I cried the entire day and night. Shortly after that, I realized that it was hard enough taking care of myself and I wouldn't be able to properly care for a child, so intellectually, I got over it. Not too much later than that, I decided if I could have kept my career, I would have probably chosen that over being a Mother since I loved playing with other people's children, but would have never wanted to do that on a regular basis.

I never liked my birthday. Around the time i was starting school, bad things would always occur on my birthday. I came to dread that date. Later, as I'm Fine said, i had a hard time dealing with the attention. It wasn't like it drew that much attention but when it did, i never knew how to react and it made me uncomfortable. I think it is great on the occasions that it passes without me even knowing.

It's my birthday on Sunday.

I never tell anybody at work. Sometimes they remember and buy me something. Nobody has mentioned it this year though. Many of the others tell everybody. I just don't like the attention, I never have. It's on my facebook page though so they are going to see it on Sunday.

I don't hate my birthday I just hate the fact the other people pretend to care that I'm getting older. I honestly hide far away from people when It rolls around.

The short answer is no. I despise my birthday for many reasons.

Reason number 1, and likely the main reason, I share my birthday with my mom. My mom always wants to pretend her and I have a good relationship and wants to do something together.

The next reason is I hate all the attention from my family. I am not close to my family. So I hate getting awkward forced calls from them.

Next I have no friends. No one to celebrate with. What is the point of pretending you exist when you clearly do not?

The only reason I like my birthday is because it allows me to be closer to death. For the past 8 years I have always thought about killing myself on my birthday. Maybe this year I will.

I want to like my birthdays, but having no friends to celebrate with and a family who pretends to love me, I dont really like it.

Try having a birthday on the biggest national holiday in the USA. Independence Day. The 4th of July! Ugh! Now that I am "independent", I could go to whatever fireworks show they have on the 4th of July, but I don't have any friends or family to go with. And I'm not a fan of drinking.

Never had a birthday party. And I don't hate my birthday, I hate the timing where I'll feel lonely and extremely depressed...! July 10th here we come again sigh

Latest posts

Back