I have a questions and I hope is not too intrusive

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Why_Me

Reaction score
I do apologize if this question is too forward for a NewB.

Based on some of the issues that many of us face here, have anyone care to comment the ultimate solution?
By that I mean, killing yourself.

I will be the first to say, YES.
I have visited no less than three Psychologists and four Psychiatrists. I have therefore exploed therapies on how to deal, cope, overcome, etc with loneliness and pain.
We (my "wife" and I) have also been to two couples counselors.

I have tried excersise, hobbies, heck I can't remember the last time I've been to a concert or sports event with her. So the typical distractions cited often have not worked, neither did the dozens of medications.

So yes, I have contemplated ending the pain and suffering.

I have heard and read about the act of suicide; being selfish, cowardly, sinful on and on.......
When you have exhausted all the options available to you and the pain you have transcends the mental and psychological but it ventures into the physical.
Yes, have you felt so much pain that your chest wrenches like horse in sitting on your chest?
When you are under so much tension, you experience muscle spasms on your back and neck? or spasms so intense, throat are muscles strain ligaments to the point you can't swallow?

The feeling of loneliness and helplesness associated with it does affect everyone differently. Some more than others.
We cannot be in this earth to live a life devout of fulfillness and happiness, we cannot live a life that waking up in the morning is the first dissapointment since I did not pass away on my sleep.

Why can't we have happyness by doing whatever we want to do without feeling like we are making another mistake according to others.

Sorry for the long post...

Killing yourself is never a solution. It's an easy way out. A cheap way to deal with life, imo. We all go through things. It's not just one person going through it all. Most people don't even care to step back and realize that there are people that they can relate to and connect with, based on the same feelings and/or issues. It's usually too late when someone realizes, "Oh, I could have shared my story with them. Maybe they wouldn't have felt so alone in it."

The best advice I can give you is to read. Read up on psychology and understand why our brains work the way they do. Pick up an introduction to Jungian psychology. Read it as many times as it takes to understand that we are species only divided by the walls we put up in our minds in fear of others. Realize that every emotion you feel is experienced by every single conscious person on this planet, and that makes it a "collective consciousness". Look it up, you aren't alone.

Read philosophers that aren't concerned with contemporary issues but instead, life as a whole. Don't just read the ones that say "Life is full of happiness and joy!!", read about the people who find life to be absolutely purposeless. Because once you truly understand both sides of the spectrum; between purposefulness and meaningfulness, you settle somewhere in the middle and feel contented. That is what has worked for me. You have ideas of what the world should be and why it isn't, and there are people out there who can confirm those ideas and put them in a proper context. You just need to discover them.

VanillaCreme said:
Killing yourself is never a solution. It's an easy way out. A cheap way to deal with life, imo. We all go through things. It's not just one person going through it all. Most people don't even care to step back and realize that there are people that they can relate to and connect with, based on the same feelings and/or issues. It's usually too late when someone realizes, "Oh, I could have shared my story with them. Maybe they wouldn't have felt so alone in it."

QFT!

This site is full of people who open up and several who can relate or are going through the exact same thing. So we all know we're not really alone in how we feel.

To answer your question(s), back in my teens I thought about suicide but quickly put those thoughts aside by thinking of the simple little things I'd miss. So no matter how bad things get for me, or how bad I might feel at times it is something that never crosses my mind.

When things get rough and you feel like there is a horse sitting on your chest (interesting analogy btw) you just deal with it. You go through the motions and deal with it. You sit down and figure out what you can do to change it or make it better. If you can't you turn it around and ride that horse until something good comes along.

I can relate to what you're saying, the thought about the "ultimate solution" was on my mind a couple of times and I realized it's the wrong way, it won't solve your problems either. It's an easy way out and it ends all. You can try to talk with people about your problems and this may help, but most of the time it's temporary and it doesn't in the long run. You have to find the inner strenght inside and face your problems until you get past them. I found that strenght in sport, hobbies and other things. I can say loneliness loneliness still haunts me, but I manage to control it. It doesn't bother me the way it used to, I learned to see the philosophical side of things.

Remember this - suicide doesn't help loneliness or any other problem you have.

*hugs*

There is a thread here, what keeps you from committing suicide, that you may find interesting. People list what stops them - mostly family - but it's important to know that a) others have thought about it and b) there is a reason you haven't. What's your reason?

Latest posts

Back