Why getting to know people scares the hell out of me...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Luna

For the past few months, I've been trying to make progress on developing my social skills, making friends etc without much success.
Going to volunteer groups etc - I still don't quite fit in cause I'm a bit shy despite me trying to be more open.
It's just who I am. I'm not the loud, popular centre-of-attention types and do not want to be - but whatevs - that's not the point.

I've had more success in finding people online. The women seem to want me to wine and dine them...lmao I'm not doing that. The men seem alright, until they start making the moves on me despite me strictly stating that it is only platonic.

I suppose my intense paranoia that has been gradually building for the past while is due to unfortunate experiences I've had with men (angry stalkers); but nonetheless - I find myself almost just instinctively assessing for the following in a first meeting/ or the beginnings of a new friendship:

1. Rapist Potential

I don't know what it is about me - but people always suggest to me that I look vulnerable/ easy to take advantage of etc because of my "baby-face", mellowness, quiet voice and lack of confrontation.
I have a lovely family member that keeps reminding me that I'll probably be raped one day cause I look like easy prey and won't tell the police. I **** well will and will burn the ************ that tries to do harm to me.

There is nothing more f***ing scary than when you meet someone for the first time, and they're licking their lips, sticking out their assets, and trying to get in close to you and breathing down your neck.

I had chatted with someone for a few weeks on an online website and was going to meet them until they said that they ARE going to have a shower with me. I said no. They then said something along the lines:
"I AM GOING TO SHOWER WITH YOU AND YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION."
What.the.fresia.

2. Angry people

Nothing is a bigger turn-off than an angry person.

Take this situation: I was excited that I had made a new friend (male). While shopping at Winners (Clothing/ Home Store), he got upset when I didn't follow him around to look at men's clothes...as I wanted to look at women's clothes instead for myself.
So I followed him around...he asked me what I think of orange on men.
I said I don't like it.
He got extremely mad and personally offended as that is his favourite colour.
Which reminds me, another time he showed up in some stylish outfit that I didn't notice. I don't notice men's clothing...it all looks the same to me. Plus I like...t-shirt and jeans; I don't care for fashionistas.
Got horribly angry at me for not noticing his new shirt, jeans, jacket etc.

3. Emotionally Needy and Controlling

The above-mentioned individual...every few days would be "How is our friendship coming along" "Are you mad at me?" "Do you want to be really good close friends? Really, really good friends with me?".
If I was quiet (sometimes I just don't feel talkative), he would take it as a slam and interpreted as something against him.

Another encounter: I was approached in a parking lot by some older fellow who had followed me all the way to the grocery store. (lololwhydidntthisalarmme)
I thought he was friendly and gave him my number.
I went out with family that same evening and forgotten my phone at home. When I checked on my phone, I had several voicemails - all sounding progressively angry and upset. I didn't respond, and got calls from him (also on different phone numbers) almost everyday for about 8 months+.

Conclusion

Because I'm an ass and scared for my safety, I've stop contacting all of the above-mentioned individuals and refer to them as my "creepers".
The bottom-line is I find that getting to know people is exhausting and downright scary sometimes. If you are doing any of the above that I have indicated - there is a reason why people are running away.

Desperation is off-putting and when you're sending your "interest" blank and cryptic texts - despite them telling you not to contact them - it is not cool...wish they'd stop already.

I figure, THE HELL WITH PEOPLE...I think I'm comfortable with just what I have now. I don't have much for online friends (less than I can count on one hand, and people come and go) but I figure it's better than encountering any more weirdos out there in the real world.
At least the internetz peeps can't killz me woot woot.

You should create a friend's list called: Luna's Creepers.

:p

*creep. Creep. SquishHug!!*

I don't quite understand, are you implying that a large part of people fit into these categories? In that case, I should give you a heads up; no.

And meeting with folks known from the net is never a good idea unless several measures are taken.

Thanks Purple!
Aww Kate. :3

Pheenix said:
I don't quite understand, are you implying that a large part of people fit into these categories? In that case, I should give you a heads up; no.

And meeting with folks known from the net is never a good idea unless several measures are taken.

Not implying majority of the population, but rather just ranting/ referring to the people that I have attracted at this point.
Yeah, I looked towards the internet since I had no luck in volunteering, hobby groups etc.
My experience has helped me learn that it's just not worth it (for me) to put so much effort into getting to know people/ making friends.
If it happens, it happens but I'm not as determined/ longing for friendship anymore with all that has happened.
Think it's better to be friendless than to continue encountering more people that will only cause me further stress and grief.

I'm new to this forum, my first post actually, but I felt compelled to respond to your thread. You have a very valid point about the potential threat of someone being a rapist, but you can usually spot these people very quick, they just throw up flags one after another that sais "I'm not a good person; I want to harm you". We've all me these people. Your gut just tells you to stay away from them. I disagree on your other points though. Think about this: You are on a forum called alonelylife.com. I was gonna say something else but I'll just put it this way with me as the example. I've been a very lonely person for a very long time(fact). If someone (maybe someone like you) IRL took an interest in me, then I would probably call you and subtlety ask you "how is our friendship going", or something like that too. I might even call/email/text you every single day and ask you that because I wouldn't want to miss an oppurtunity like that. It would bother me a lot if you then just ignored me or something. I wouldn't know that you just wanted your space, I would just think that you hated me plain and simple. Yeah, calling for 8+months and leaving mssges and honeysuckle is just not cool obviously, that person is obviously someone you need to stay away from. For example I just got in touch with an old girlfriend of mine (I mean 10+ years after we broke up) last week. I sent her some mssges and hoped she would be happy to hear from me, but she wasn't interested at all so I'll never talk to her again (sadly) unless she contacts me first (gave her my info). I wanted to call her and tell her how I feel tho, but I know she wasn't interested and I left it alone, but maybe other people wouldn't have just left it alone in that situation.

What I'm trying to say is, maybe that person that you think is so "clingy and needy" is really just lonely too and wants to talk to you because you showed interest in them? Maybe you are just pushing people away and blaming it on them? I don't know you, but it's just something to think about. My first impression of you is this; people like yourself make people like me lonely lol. If that makes any sense. Just trying to be honest. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgmental about other ppl and give them a chance, Idk just a thought.

That made me sound like a clingy / needy person didn't it? :p fk it.

Your post made sense to me - didn't sound clingy or needy.

Well, for the example I used - I was thinking along the same lines as you. I thought hey, perhaps that might be how I come off to people as well.
We both admitted to being lonely - so why not be friends?
Believe me, I'm a lonely little thing and I know what it's like to be judged etc.

But there were other issues than what I had mentioned in my original post.
He got mad when I would opt to see my family than him, and would go extremely close to me - I'm not comfortable with a friend pressing their body against me etc - things like that. Eventually, I got tired of him always being mad for insignificant things and his persistence on putting the moves on me when I clearly indicated that I had a partner/ not interested.

As a general rule - I think that when making new friends - it's good to keep in regular contact with them. But to have high expectations on how they should act and demand this and that, is overkill.

Luna, you're like my complete opposite in a lot of ways, but I agree with you on a lot of things too. Like, that guy who got mad at you for choosing to be with your family instead of him. What a *********. I would never expect someone to choose me over their family. That's just rude and egotistical lol.

Tell me though, I'm just curious really, from your point of view.. What would be the ideal man for you? How would he approach you, what would he do? Would you be turned off if he made the first move before you did?

Hypothetically, say you met a guy tomorrow. Would you want him to become friends with you first, or would you want him to immediately recognize you as a possible partner/ romantic relationship and flirt with you etc.? What the hell do you women want, is what I'm trying to say I guess lol. I obviously don't have much experience with it in my adult life :\ Any input at all from a woman's point of view is appreciated really. I have so many questions, this is so sad lol. I'm socially retarded.

haha you sound pretty cool tbh.
That guy that got offended about the colour orange or his jacket/jeans what ever it was sounds like a jerk :p

but wth:
"I have a lovely family member that keeps reminding me that I'll probably be raped one day cause I look like easy prey and won't tell the police"

doesnt sound too lovely to be saying that. [/align]

They all sound like very strange and unfortunate situations where you let yourself open up to the wrong people, those that need mental help. None of those people sounded like they should have been your friends, more trouble than it's worth. Sometimes it's really hard to judge character because people try to impress others by not being themselves.
I try to take my time when getting to know people and letting them get close to me. I will spend time with them in public situations unplanned for a good while, before I go anywhere with them. This is usually us hanging out at school when we run into each other, and I tend to let it go at least three months of frequent interaction (face to face) before I feel comfortable enough to spend time with them elsewhere. Then maybe we'll go out to lunch every once in a while, which is still in a public place but it's just the two of us. And then I will consider if I may let this person come over to my apartment, and by this time I've known them for at least 6-8 months. I try to make sure I catch the crazies before they get to close and then have my number and address and such and so forth. If (and when) meeting online, I would take far more time to get to know them, probably wait for a year of interaction before we meet face to face. If they're interested enough to talk to me consistently for that long, they probably aren't creepy, or they're extra creepy. I feel that I am a decent judge of character though, and so I hope that I will never let myself get into a situation where I'm being stalked by a creep....
Though, I really need to follow this same advice in closer relationships... But, I'm still learning. XD

you are not alone LuNA...
Poeple are freaken wierd man. In my travels I came across and met
a lot of off the wall people. i guess they probably say or thinks the samething about me. hahahaaaaa

I have a lovely family member that keeps reminding me that I'll probably be raped one day cause I look like easy prey and won't tell the police. I **** well will and will burn the ************ that tries to do harm to me.

I hate to say this, but she's probably projecting her own experiences, or someone close she knows upon you.

I'm glad to hear that you've taken steps to keep yourself safe. There are more balanced people out there.

Luna said:
For the past few months, I've been trying to make progress on developing my social skills, making friends etc without much success.
Going to volunteer groups etc - I still don't quite fit in cause I'm a bit shy despite me trying to be more open.
It's just who I am. I'm not the loud, popular centre-of-attention types and do not want to be - but whatevs - that's not the point.

I've had more success in finding people online. The women seem to want me to wine and dine them...lmao I'm not doing that. The men seem alright, until they start making the moves on me despite me strictly stating that it is only platonic.

I suppose my intense paranoia that has been gradually building for the past while is due to unfortunate experiences I've had with men (angry stalkers); but nonetheless - I find myself almost just instinctively assessing for the following in a first meeting/ or the beginnings of a new friendship:

1. Rapist Potential

I don't know what it is about me - but people always suggest to me that I look vulnerable/ easy to take advantage of etc because of my "baby-face", mellowness, quiet voice and lack of confrontation.

There is nothing more f***ing scary than when you meet someone for the first time, and they're licking their lips, sticking out their assets, and trying to get in close to you and breathing down your neck.

I had chatted with someone for a few weeks on an online website and was going to meet them until they said that they ARE going to have a shower with me. I said no. They then said something along the lines:
"I AM GOING TO SHOWER WITH YOU AND YOU HAVE NO OTHER OPTION."
What.the.fresia.

2. Angry people

Nothing is a bigger turn-off than an angry person.

Take this situation: I was excited that I had made a new friend (male). While shopping at Winners (Clothing/ Home Store), he got upset when I didn't follow him around to look at men's clothes...as I wanted to look at women's clothes instead for myself.
So I followed him around...he asked me what I think of orange on men.
I said I don't like it.
He got extremely mad and personally offended as that is his favourite colour.
Which reminds me, another time he showed up in some stylish outfit that I didn't notice. I don't notice men's clothing...it all looks the same to me. Plus I like...t-shirt and jeans; I don't care for fashionistas.
Got horribly angry at me for not noticing his new shirt, jeans, jacket etc.

3. Emotionally Needy and Controlling

The above-mentioned individual...every few days would be "How is our friendship coming along" "Are you mad at me?" "Do you want to be really good close friends? Really, really good friends with me?".
If I was quiet (sometimes I just don't feel talkative), he would take it as a slam and interpreted as something against him.

Another encounter: I was approached in a parking lot by some older fellow who had followed me all the way to the grocery store. (lololwhydidntthisalarmme)
I went out with family that same evening and forgotten my phone at home. When I checked on my phone, I had several voicemails - all sounding progressively angry and upset. I didn't respond, and got calls from him (also on different phone numbers) almost everyday for about 8 months+.

Conclusion

Because I'm an ass and scared for my safety, I've stop contacting all of the above-mentioned individuals and refer to them as my "creepers".
The bottom-line is I find that getting to know people is exhausting and downright scary sometimes. If you are doing any of the above that I have indicated - there is a reason why people are running away.

Desperation is off-putting and when you're sending your "interest" blank and cryptic texts - despite them telling you not to contact them - it is not cool...wish they'd stop already.

I figure, THE HELL WITH PEOPLE...I think I'm comfortable with just what I have now. I don't have much for online friends (less than I can count on one hand, and people come and go) but I figure it's better than encountering any more weirdos out there in the real world.
At least the internetz peeps can't killz me woot woot.

Love to chat with you more on this topic - if you're still around Luna,
Anton

Keep your distance. You don't have to establish a relationship with whomever it may be. Keep everyone at a distance.

My own stalker backed off a few years ago after I got the law and some rather large friends of a friend involved, but it's still fresh in my mind how fast someone can turn from normal to crazy.

A few things I'd like to suggest:

1) If you're meeting people online, a few weeks (or more) of engaged chatting helps to weed out the worst of them. They often have trouble not being assbags for very long.

2) Friends can introduce you to more friends. If someone has a history of creeping around, blowing their fuse, whatever, most of them will slip up or get sloppy eventually and word will spread. Your friends may be in the know. Similarly, people who've proven themselves over time to be safe can be vouched for.

A word of caution, though: Know who among your friends is an efficient judge of character and who's not. I adore my guy friends, but some of them are way too forgiving of other men, especially if they see their own troubles in them.

" 3. Emotionally Needy and Controlling

"

I found myself identifying with you on all others, but this one is highly offensive to me. It was offensive because you labeled the guy as emotionally needy just because he wanted to be really good friends with you and he was wondering if something went wrong. I find myself doing this a lot with people because a lot of people are phony and they will lie to you about how they feel to avoid confrontation. To me, people who react like this to situations appear extremely passive and detached from their emotions. People are offensive and that is my biggest fear about meeting and talking to folks. I'm so sensitive and emotional these types of answers are the reasons why I don't have friends. Most of society is detached like this and count feelings as being too "emotional" and too needy. In my opinion, it's not needy, you just wondering what's going on since one minute a person is talkative and the next they're not. I mean, it's like flipping a switch off and on.

I had a few stalkers in my life time. So, I don't agree or condone annoying bug-a-boo behavior. They are extremely controlling and constantly on your every move 24/7.

There is a difference between being emotionally needy and just having social anxieties over what the other person feels about you. I have social anxiety so I know how it is. You're always worried or wondering if the other person is mad or something since they're not doing what they normally do. It's only human nature to wonder.

But back to the original topic, what scares me most about people is that they're two-faced, dishonest, they can't tap deep enough into their emotions , and they abandon you when the first thing they say is I'll never leave you.

Latest posts

Back