Opinions on these legendary American musical figures (All favourites of mine)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAS

Reaction score
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Neil Young (Canadian but what the hell)
Leonard Cohen (See above)
R.E.M.
The Doors
Steely Dan
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

Bob Dylan: I don't know a lot of his music but what I do know I like. I think Knockin' On Heaven's Door is one of the most beautiful songs, as is Lay Lady Lay. I don't even mind his voice. Those songs make me cry when I hear them.

Paul Simon: I love his stuff with Simon and Garfunkel, I think that was brilliant songwriting. I heard Cecilia in the car yesterday and I thought how it was probably ahead of its time. I love The Boxer. I also like his older solo stuff, Kodachrome is a favourite. So many great songs but I never got into his Graceland type stuff.

Neil Young: Not crazy about him but I think Like a Hurricane and The Loner are great songwriting, and probably a few others. But there are other songs by him that I can't listen to at all. I'm not a huge fan of his voice.

Leonard Cohen: Suzanne is such a beautiful, haunting song that I will give him props even though I don't know any of his other music. He is a cool poet from the sixties.

R.E.M.: Some decent songs. Not crazy about Michael Stipe's voice, but I love the Byrds-influenced jangly guitars. I think their older songs like Fall on Me are well written.

The Doors: I realize now how jazz-influenced the Doors are. Only since being an adult have I understood this, I never picked up on it when I was a teenager listening to it. I have since listened to jazz music and I totally hear jazz now when I hear the Doors. Their songs are great and have longevity I think partly due to the jazz influence. Their music sounds very "adult contemporary" to me, I'm thinking of songs like Touch Me. I like Jim Morrison's voice.

Steely Dan: Not really familiar with them but I love the song called Do it Again. I heard it in the car the other day and I thought it sounded awesome. I need to get that on my mp3 player. It sounds like summer and very retro west coast 70s.

Nirvana: I was never into them, however I respect the songwriting even though it's not necessarily to my taste. When I listen to bands that have come out since I constantly hear the influence of Nirvana, so I think that is a testament to their music.

Pearl Jam: When they came out they were dismissed as fluff, but I think their songs have proven to have longevity. If I ever hear Evenflow I will always keep it on because I think it's one of their best written songs. A lot of their stuff is very catchy, even if it's not as "deep" as some other music made by their contemporaries.

Neil Young and Leonard Cohen are amazing. In both cases they have some terrible songs. But when they are good they are amazing, their best songs are not just nice tunes, they can touch you deeply.

to those who don’t know these artists here’s some of their best most amazing songs. Please download and let me know if you like them:

NEIL YOUNG
Helpless
Rocking' in the Free World
Crime in the City
Old Man
A Man needs a maid
Hey Hey, My My (Into the Black)
Sample and Hold
Pocahontas

LEONARD COHEN
Avalanche
Famous Blue Raincoat
Dress Rehearsal Rag
Everybody Knows
The Stranger Song

Would love to know what people think of them. If you have the time that is!

CAS said:
Bob Dylan
Paul Simon
Neil Young (Canadian but what the hell)
Leonard Cohen (See above)
R.E.M.
The Doors
Steely Dan
Nirvana
Pearl Jam

Latest posts

Back