Found you guys through googling

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

panqua

Reaction score
Hello. I am a woman, living in a country in southeast asia. (i dont know why i cant tell the name now, maybe later) birthday is 08/02/86. english is my 2nd language so im sorry if i will often make grammar mistakes -_-

so about me....

back then in college i was actually an outgoing person and love seeing new people, but since i got older i gradually turn into a loner, not that i like it, its just that i cant imagine myself being another kind of person. yes, its a lonely life.

i am a sensitive and shy person and because of that i tend to overreact (inwardly) in interactions. I get embarrassed so very easily. when i was outgoing, i try to be the clown to cover the embarrassment, but later i dont enjoy it anymore, i found my inner voice refusing this role. this isnt who i am.

since i was a little girl, i've been developing a habit:
i often hesitate talking to people, even when the words are on the tip of my tongue. so instead, i simulate the conversation in my mind (results in nothing, obviously) time moves on, and the simulation turns verbal. i started the habit of talking (literally) alone. to describe it, its like im practicing an act for theater. i often do this when i am alone in a room. i still talk to people, but i do the talking alone a lot. especially now, since im living a lonely life.

that is a bad habit, i know. why i'm doing that? i am afraid of consequences in human interactions. i am scared of the endless probability of responses, so i'd rather avoid real encounters. other reason is that i do it when i wish to talk to someone that seems impossible to approach. (like someone i observe only from far away or some famous people i adore but couldn't meet)

eventually, i'm craving for a real response, from real person. and yet, i still hesitate. i still shy away. i'm still avoiding unpredictable responses.

this is why i become a loner and gets a lonely life. even as im telling you guys about it right now, i am fearing the probability that you might get scared and tell me to go to a psychiatrist instead. :(

so maybe to start coping the loneliness the healthier way, im joining this forum. at least im talking to real people, though on the net. i hope i can meet people from various life and background and going through the loneliness that i feel right now, thats why i chose this internet forum... which is for the lonely people...

i'm sorry if i confuse you, im trying my best to describe myself :( feel free to respond to this...

First of all, hello. Second of all, I didn't find your post to be confusing.

I've had a similar problem, where I talk to myself. Just entire conversations with myself. Sometimes I don't even realize I'm doing it. I think it developed from being alone so often. When I'm around other people though (physically, not online), it's not a problem at all.

I'm not sure how much I can help you since I still have the problem. I don't believe we're alone in it though (and we're definitely not alone in being lonely).

If you'd like to talk more about it to someone, the talking to yourself thing, I'll be glad to listen.

it's nice to know i'm not the only one.

Sometimes i don't realize i'm talking to myself too. That gives me less control over it, especially when i get clumsy and does it in public area while musing, and then when people noticed they start looking at me (man...that's embarrassing...)

i kinda start talking to myself since i was little, bcause i was often alone at home and even in my friends's company, i often feel unsatisfied with what we talked about everyday. so, i decided to talk about it with myself. As i grow up, i talk to myself for many other reasons, including fear, shyness, and procrastination over settling debates with others. Do you also feel unsatisfied with your interaction with other people? Do you remember the first time you talked to yourself?

I was told to stop this by some people, but some others don't seem to have problems with me doing that, as long as keep my sanity. I have mixed feelings about it. i wanted to stop, but sometimes i think it comes in handy when i'm using it to simulate my imagination, like when i'm creating stories for comics or novels or something like that..

I wonder, do you think the habit benefits you in some way? Have you ever wished or even tried to eliminate it?

I can imagine that being highly embarrassing. I haven't had it happen in public yet (or if it has, no one, including me, seemed to notice), but one time several years ago, my mom overheard me and asked me who I was talking to. It was embarrassing and I couldn't answer her at all...

At times I feel unsatisfied with conversations with other people. I sometimes feel like other people don't understand me and understand what I'm trying to say and in turn, it frustrates me because I feel like I'm being as clear as I can possibly be to them. Even online I have that problem sometimes. It makes me wonder if I'm too dumb for everyone else or, not to be condescending, too smart. Probably too dumb in my case, since I tend to ramble. :| Have you ever felt anything like that though?

About your other reasons for talking to yourself, I've talked to myself for those reasons too (especially fear and shyness). I guess for those reasons, it's a way of coping with what we can't bring ourselves to actually confront.

I don't remember the first time I talked to myself. I'm not sure I ever knew or remembered either. I think I just started doing it one day, not aware at all that I was, and it just went from there. I'm just glad that I did realize that I was doing it and realized that it wasn't normal before it could get too bad and out of control. Do you remember the first time you talked to yourself?

I think I agree with the people that have no problem with you doing it as long as you keep your sanity. And I think you are keeping your sanity, because you're aware of the habit. Maybe it does come in handy at times like that. I used to write some and I know I used it in the same way, so I guess that can be one benefit of it.

Another way I think it benefits me is simple: it's not the worst habit I could have. I mean, if I didn't talk to myself, maybe I'd end up doing something a lot worse and more harmful. Do you feel like that too? I have wished that I could eliminate the problem at times. If I'm already upset and I realize I'm talking to myself, I just get more upset and wish it, among other things, would just go away so I could try being more normal. I've never tried to eliminate though, simply because I don't know how I could other than seeing a psychiatrist and being put on some kind of medication. Have you tried to eliminate it before?

panqua said:
Hello. I am a woman, living in a country in southeast asia. (i dont know why i cant tell the name now, maybe later) birthday is 08/02/86. english is my 2nd language so im sorry if i will often make grammar mistakes -_-

so about me....

back then in college i was actually an outgoing person and love seeing new people, but since i got older i gradually turn into a loner, not that i like it, its just that i cant imagine myself being another kind of person. yes, its a lonely life.

i am a sensitive and shy person and because of that i tend to overreact (inwardly) in interactions. I get embarrassed so very easily. when i was outgoing, i try to be the clown to cover the embarrassment, but later i dont enjoy it anymore, i found my inner voice refusing this role. this isnt who i am.

since i was a little girl, i've been developing a habit:
i often hesitate talking to people, even when the words are on the tip of my tongue. so instead, i simulate the conversation in my mind (results in nothing, obviously) time moves on, and the simulation turns verbal. i started the habit of talking (literally) alone. to describe it, its like im practicing an act for theater. i often do this when i am alone in a room. i still talk to people, but i do the talking alone a lot. especially now, since im living a lonely life.

that is a bad habit, i know. why i'm doing that? i am afraid of consequences in human interactions. i am scared of the endless probability of responses, so i'd rather avoid real encounters. other reason is that i do it when i wish to talk to someone that seems impossible to approach. (like someone i observe only from far away or some famous people i adore but couldn't meet)

eventually, i'm craving for a real response, from real person. and yet, i still hesitate. i still shy away. i'm still avoiding unpredictable responses.

this is why i become a loner and gets a lonely life. even as im telling you guys about it right now, i am fearing the probability that you might get scared and tell me to go to a psychiatrist instead. :(

so maybe to start coping the loneliness the healthier way, im joining this forum. at least im talking to real people, though on the net. i hope i can meet people from various life and background and going through the loneliness that i feel right now, thats why i chose this internet forum... which is for the lonely people...

i'm sorry if i confuse you, im trying my best to describe myself :( feel free to respond to this...

Hi panqua! I found alonelylife through google as well. You see, i feel like the older i get, the less freedom i have. In grade school i used to be able to ride my bike around town by myself or with friends, in high school i used to be able to go to the movies with friends, and now in college i never get to do so much as see my friends at all except walking past them between classes. Not even once this year have i ever got to hang out with friends. All i ever do is visit relatives. Every.... single... weekend. I'm not saying don't spend time with them but i need to see my friends too, people who think like i do, people who like the same stuff i do (because my family sure to heck don't)! Sure, i like my solitude but i fear isolation. Could i be causing some of it by simply not asking my parents if i could hang out with my friends (but that answer's almost always no by the way), or is my "social life" going to keep disappearing piece by piece until there's nothing left by the time i'm 22? My life has become completely boring!

I want to point out that this thread is 4 years old and the OP hasn't been online for over a year.

niceguysfinishlast said:
Hi panqua! I found alonelylife through google as well. You see, i feel like the older i get, the less freedom i have. In grade school i used to be able to ride my bike around town by myself or with friends, in high school i used to be able to go to the movies with friends, and now in college i never get to do so much as see my friends at all except walking past them between classes. Not even once this year have i ever got to hang out with friends. All i ever do is visit relatives. Every.... single... weekend. I'm not saying don't spend time with them but i need to see my friends too, people who think like i do, people who like the same stuff i do (because my family sure to heck don't)! Sure, i like my solitude but i fear isolation. Could i be causing some of it by simply not asking my parents if i could hang out with my friends (but that answer's almost always no by the way), or is my "social life" going to keep disappearing piece by piece until there's nothing left by the time i'm 22? My life has become completely boring!

If you are in college, why do you need your parents permission? What about joining some clubs or something?

TheRealCallie said:
I want to point out that this thread is 4 years old and the OP hasn't been online for over a year.

niceguysfinishlast said:

If you are in college, why do you need your parents permission? What about joining some clubs or something?

Really? Bummer. Anyway, the problem is that i still live at home. If i were living in my own apartment, then i wouldn't have needed to join this website because i could reasonably do what i want.. I, like a number of other college students living at home, don't necessarily have the same freedoms as college students who live on their own. Since i googled "my parents won't let me have a social life in college", at least i know i'm not alone. As for joining clubs, the ones i was interested in and joined don't do squat to where i lost interest in them.

Hey Panqua, welcome

dang.. your English is better than mine, btw i live in Jogjakarta Indonesia, cheers

i am also a loner :cool:

Latest posts

Back