Something positive I thought I should share. Robert Ellis' ABCD

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SighX99

Reaction score
something happened that made me decide that I should share this info with everyone on here. It's very helpful in all aspect of life.

I learned something in my abnormal psych class the other day, completely blew my mind. if i had learn about this stuff earlier i wouldnt be as depressed as i would be today. it's called Robert Ellis' ABCDs. hear me out.

A: Activating event
B: The belief or significance or meaning you give to the event
C: The consequential emotion you get as a result of B
D: What I do or the actions I perform from C

these are only examples, not toward anyone.

example 1 (bad)
A: I feel lonely
B: I will be lonely forever
C: Sadness, anger, grief
D: I wont make contact or try to make friends since i'm always lonely why try??

example 2 (good, which is the way you should think)
B: feeling lonely is only temporary, it'll make me a better person in the long run. besides, most people are alone when they do stuff anyway.
C: hopefulness, appreciation, content
D: since loneliness is only temporary, I should try and go out and meet people. of course this wont work out 100% of the time, but I should keep trying. If I keep trying, I'll be better at it.

thoughts?? there are many many ways this can be incorporate into everyday life/thoughts. I can give out more example if you want. but its very straight forward. positive thinking is the key.

SighX99 said:
something happened that made me decide that I should share this info with everyone on here. It's very helpful in all aspect of life.

I learned something in my abnormal psych class the other day, completely blew my mind. if i had learn about this stuff earlier i wouldnt be as depressed as i would be today. it's called Robert Ellis' ABCDs. hear me out.

A: Activating event
B: The belief or significance or meaning you give to the event
C: The consequential emotion you get as a result of B
D: What I do or the actions I perform from C

these are only examples, not toward anyone.

example 1 (bad)
B: I will be lonely forever
C: Sadness, anger, grief
D: I wont make contact or try to make friends since i'm always lonely why try??

example 2 (good, which is the way you should think)
B: feeling lonely is only temporary, it'll make me a better person in the long run. besides, most people are alone when they do stuff anyway.
C: hopefulness, appreciation, content
D: since loneliness is only temporary, I should try and go out and meet people. of course this wont work out 100% of the time, but I should keep trying. If I keep trying, I'll be better at it.

thoughts?? there are many many ways this can be incorporate into everyday life/thoughts. I can give out more example if you want. but its very straight forward. positive thinking is the key.

The best thing to do is to remain positive. And yes, keep trying and trying! Some days I feel so lonely that I don't want to do anything; yet somedays I am positive and I find myself being more confident and outgoing.

Also, loneliness DOES make you a better person, even though depressed, it makes you expand your abilities and knowledge (as far as I know!).

this can be applied to ANYTHING. grades, relationships, loneliness, grief, sadness, work... anything

Latest posts

Back