Good job, great abilities, girlfriend; so why do I feel empty?!

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeekingAdvice

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Hope you are well and thanks for reading this. I'm pretty much going balls out on this because I don't really know what else to do with it!! I have a good job that I'm performing well in, a girlfriend, and am able to turn my hand at most things, but at the moment I feel very lonely, slightly paranoid, lack motivation, self esteem, confidence and spark!! I used to be a bit of a socialite and was often introduced as the funny, good looking one, but now I feel increasingly down and cut off from everything. I'm also getting quick to anger at people! I seem to be doing okay really as I'm good at just cracking on however I feel, but I really want to be happy again. Has anyone else felt a similar way at a time of their life that they shouldn't do? It's not that I'm not grateful for what I have and recognise that I have it better than many, but I do want to get rid of this inexplained feeling of unhappiness. It does affect me and I'm getting increasingly less social. I feel trapped behind a glass wall of under-confidence which holds me back from being really what I could be!! Is it depression? Is it something else? Just hearing from someone who may feel similar will help me I think!

And if I can ever do anything to help you, please just ask. Even if it's for a beer and chat if you fancy that!!

Thank you and good luck,
Phil

I would say this is an inner belief problem. You seem to be making unrealistic demands on yourself about who you should be and what you should do. Take a look at what you're telling yourself about your life, particularly what it means if you LOST anything. You may gain some insight.

Oh..yeah..That stupid feeling

Is this all there is???
Have GF, career. Home. Car...ect..ect

Maybe or going through a burm out.
Maybe just need a break or vacation...
Maybe you havnt PLAYED.?.
Maybe go sky diving or wind surfernig...something you havnt done.

Yeah Ive gome throught is...
If you dont freak out...itll pass.

Lot of people gose throuht it.
My friend is going through the samething..He has everything..
Beuiful wife. Own his own business...etc..wtc
Now His bored out of his freaken mind too...

Just a phase...dont freak out.

hey bro.

well, based on what you typed, it could very well be a lot of different things. you could just be burned out and in need of a vacation, or worse, it could be depression. i've lived with depression for over ten years now, and what you described sounds like the beginning stages of depression.

when i first started feeling depressed, i felt everything that you described and more. i was young, a teenager, and was under the care of my parents, thus i didn't have the worries and stresses that i have today. i had a great girlfriend, and lots of friends. a great life that was provided to me by my parents... but i just felt so empty. over time it got worse, and very long story short, i pretty much ended up what i am today; a loner with no friends or confidence in anyone or anything.

i would suggest that you get yourself checked out by a doctor. if it is depression, the good news is that it can be treated easily. i never chose to seek treatment because i've never wanted my happiness to come in the form of a pill, but perhaps you'd be alright with that. i would not wish the terrible, long chapter that i've lived under depression on anyone. please, just go get yourself checked out if things don't work out.

i wish you luck on your ventures.

You sound generally down or maybe a mild case of depression. Well here are a few questions which could help you determine whatever it is:

-How long has this been going on for?
-Have you been under a lot of stress/pressure?
-Is there anything particularly you're unhappy about in your life?
-Sometimes feeling empty can come from the fact you you've achieved everything in your life and so you feel like life is just a chore to live out. Having goals give people motivation and meaning to a person's life. So maybe you just need a new challenge and goal to work towards to?

Well, I like the way chicken tastes. Its rather tasty and healthy, and its a great way to eat chicken.

(on topic)

Do something mental. I'm trying to think of something insane to do and someone who can catalogue it. Since I'd like to think people could live out their fantasies through me.

Maybe a mild depression that should be adressed before it gets worse. Or maybe you just need to stop look around and figure out what you are unhappy with in your life. Are you doing what you want to be doing... are you satisfied with the relationships you have...are you acting out a scenario that you think is expected of you , And pushing away YOUR dreams ? So many questions can be asked, one of them has an answer, hope you find it :)

life gets boring when it plateaus.

find something new to develop or specialize even more in what you do.

as for relationships...
I think it happens to everyone who grows up eventually...
my parents are social... but hardly the type to be going out for dinners and social gathering often. they are too busy working...
kinda like me now...

Your job is either not challenging. Or your life is stagnant and it is driving you insane because you need fulfillment to be happy. Women and job only provide sex/money. You want more you need to add to your life something of value.

P.S. don't go with religion.

If you can stay awake while listening to this monk.

you will have some insight... I have this audio book too :p

Insightful. Inspirational. Truth.

Necromancer!!

But yes, M, it is definately possible. If you look for companionship and happiness in these external factors, you will be alone for the rest of your life.

Latest posts

Back