"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S

SophiaGrace

I am writing this thread more as something for the reader to ponder and respond to, than as an actual complaint, because it really isn't that big of a deal. :p

Sometimes intelligent people irritate me.

I have noticed that when people consider themselves intelligent that sometimes they will insult you for your "lack of intelligence".

For example, I was talking about a specific subject with a person online and they said to me "Don't even pretend that you know more than I do, because I KNOW i know more than you do on this subject."

and I was like "whoa, insulting a little?"

Then I blocked them. :p Problem solved. :p

I mean, I do love intelligent people, just as long as they don't say stuff to me like "don't strain yourself trying to understand what I just said to you." or "do you EVER think you will understand this?"

Truly intelligent people don't have to prove their intelligence, it just exists. At least this is what I think. :p

"A wise man knows that he knows nothing."

You know, I never thought myself really "Intelligent" because I know that most of what I know is through research that anyone can gain access to and learn just as well as I did. Most of what I know is courtesy of Google.

Things such as common sense and street smarts I think a person can be proud of because you learn them from none other than experience, but there's no pride in proving that I can remember a passage from a goddamn article. My brain cells are functioning properly, whoop-de-*******-doo.

This can be true of some intellectual types who believe themseleves to be above and beyond all others, however they are only that way through their own insecurities and lack of willingness to resolve them.
In most cases the person is "intelligent" enough to foresee this, and make the effort to not be that way, especially if friends are not in abundance.

Having said this there will be those who just do not care and will be however they want to be, which is fine, so long as they stay away from me!!!

This can be true of some intellectual types who believe themseleves to be above and beyond all others, however they are only that way through their own insecurities and lack of willingness to resolve them.
In most cases the person is "intelligent" enough to foresee this, and make the effort to not be that way, especially if friends are not in abundance.

Having said this there will be those who just do not care and will be however they want to be, which is fine, so long as they stay away from me!!!

sometimes ''intelligent'' people ask questions to prove you don't know it, say something not to inform but to say they know it, argue for the sake of arguing and compete for the sake of getting ahead.

floffyschneeman said:
sometimes ''intelligent'' people ask questions to prove you don't know it, say something not to inform but to say they know it, argue for the sake of arguing and compete for the sake of getting ahead.

That's right. It should be the duty of anyone who knows anything to teach others who don't. Not to wave it around like a huge stiff.

That's stuck-ups for you.

That said, there are places where you are almost sure you are right, but it is extremely hard to convince the other party, because there lies so much thought between where you are and where they are, that proving them wrong in their own languages would take an enormous amount of space, and basically require you to teach them a slew of concepts. But I guess in such situations, the right course of action still is to bite the pain and explain yourself, no matter what it takes. This is of course when talking specific academic concepts, not general world wisdom.

If you boast about it, you probably don't have it. Those sound like narrow-minded little dweebs, not intelligent people who would be humble enough to accept that they too, had had to learn themselves.

Note, this post has no bearing on anyone here and is not meant to defend "intelligent" people who are arrogant and patronising to those they consider their inferiors. This is a post made to defend the intelligent people who are seen to be the above unfairly.

Intelligence is something which should be celebrated. There was a time when the most famous people in the world were the intelligent people. Intelligence, today, is overlooked in favour of talents such as singing ability, acting ability, sporting ability. Intelligent people get no recognition, despite the fact that they are the reason the world is as advanced as it is.

As long as you're not putting people down, what is wrong with being proud of what you are? I am informed constantly of my vast amounts of intelligence by other people. I know I am extremely intelligent and I take pride in the fact that in a world where many are interested in 3 things (sex, drink and terrible TV) I am able to have a conversation which is grammatically correct and factually informed.

Do I put people down? No. Do I expect them to think like me? No. Are they intimidated by me? Yes. Do they feel inferior to me because of how I talk and what I talk about? Yes. Do I want them to? No. All my life people have put me on a pedestal because of my intelligence, and then cowered away from the man they put on it. I have never thought of myself as better than anyone, but people see me as such because they can't handle their own insecurities.

Take my sister. She is intelligent. I have always told her such and I have always let her know that I believe she can be the best. Always. I have never doubted her. She doubts herself, though, because she lacks as much raw intelligence as I and my youngest sister do. She doesn't pick things up as easily as we do. Is that bad? No. Do I think she is any less intelligent? No. Hell, I admire how hard she works to get to the same level we find so easy. I admire her for it. To quell her doubts, I said that if she is ever unsure of herself or her work, to let me have a read and I'll help if I can. A brotherly gesture, trying to make my sister feel better, and it was met with accusations of me thinking I was better, of me being arrogant, of me feeling superior to everyone.

I have been accused of arrogance by others, and not just her for similar things. I have been made to feel like I belittle people just by being what I am, and that is intelligent. That doesn't mean I am those things. It just means that people don't like that I'm those things, and they're not. Not all intelligent people are trying to make others feel small. Some of us are just being what we are and behaving as such. Doesn't make us bad people.

Well, in the end, that is what happens to everyone who speak well of their own abilities. It's taboo.

Pheenix said:
Well, in the end, that is what happens to everyone who speak well of their own abilities. It's taboo.

But that's just it, I and others don't talk about our own abilities. We merely live them. I don't start every sentence with "I'm intelligent". I just speak intelligently. It's others who make me out to be something. My grandad tells me consistently that I am better than other people. I tell him I am not. I was just blessed with something others weren't and they were blessed with things I wasn't. People make me out to be something, but don't like that I am that thing, making me out to be arrogant when I try to help or phrase a sentence a certain way. One girl kept moaning at me for using a word in an incorrect context. Stupid thing to start an argument over, but she did. I explained why it was correct despite her constant argument that it was incorrect. When she finally saw my point of view, she ended the argument with, "You're patronising." She didn't like that I was right, that I am what I am so I become patronising.

All I'm saying is, some intelligent people, such as myself, do not view themselves as better than anyone, but their lifestyle as an intelligent person (their speech, conversation preferences, knowledge) offends people. I'm just saying, most intelligent people aren't arrogant and don't feel superior just because of intelligence, and shouldn't be treated as though they do.

I always tell my cocky part timer that he who boasts the most has the least to boast about. To which he says that only guys with small d!cks say that...smart@$$ teenagers.

Not sarcastic :) Yeah, it's weird, writing something bluntly and without wasting space on meaningless words is sometimes perceived as sarcastic. I wonder what I can do about it...

SophiaGrace said:
"Intelligent" People Irritate Me Sometimes

It sound more like it is arrogant, pompous people who irritate you.

Pheenix said:
Not sarcastic :) Yeah, it's weird, writing something bluntly and without wasting space on meaningless words is sometimes perceived as sarcastic. I wonder what I can do about it...

It's the curse of the computer. Without tone or facial expressions, it's hard to perceive. I've been accused of a lot myself. I even question myself now, wondering how things read. ;)

"THINTELLIGENT" people bother you.

People who think that they are intelligent... but who are actually quite dim and only parrot the most douchey tidbits of information gleaned from brighter minds that they've encountered. All in a pretense to lead you to believe that they are smarter than you.

Latest posts

Back