Misconception of college

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

Faded

I wonder occasionally "why I think college would be any different from high school?" I had hope that college would be my savior. A fresh start in life, where making friends and having a relationship wouldn't be so hard. As I found out, it was only a misconception. I was a fool to think that college would better myself.

All the years of hope of a better future has completely went down the drain. I now await for the day when the angel come down to earth and take me away. I only want to end the suffer now so that I can lied in piece. I don't want to ever worry of how people judge me. I don't want to be lost anymore.

u dont have 2 worry about how ppl judge u if u dont want 2. thats a choice ur making :)

College is actually worse than High School in my opinion. College allows me to be even more shy and introverted.

it was imo 2. where i was automatically popular in hs... college took longer. bcuz dealing w/a bigger group of ppl

well the way i see it at college is that even though the community is huge theres many people to be friends with there. you cant please everyone but you can find people who have the same interests and beliefs. the only problem is finding these people and befriending them. if you do find people who are like you they may just be too shy to introduce themselves like you are to them, i know i am. you have to go out on a limb sometimes and let yourself open. but i do know that easier said than done, and rejection does hurt but it always doesnt turn out to be rejection and perhaps just at that moment you'll make a new friend.
(i wish i could follow my own advice tho, im more of the doesnt speak till spoken to type...)

brown said:
i wish i could follow my own advice tho, im more of the doesnt speak till spoken to type...
that used 2 b me2. but i literally got tired of waiting around. i figured out it was just easier 2 approach. i realized i was missing out on so much b4 that

Faded said:
I wonder occasionally "why I think college would be any different from high school?" I had hope that college would be my savior. A fresh start in life, where making friends and having a relationship wouldn't be so hard. As I found out, it was only a misconception. I was a fool to think that college would better myself.

All the years of hope of a better future has completely went down the drain. I now await for the day when the angel come down to earth and take me away. I only want to end the suffer now so that I can lied in piece. I don't want to ever worry of how people judge me. I don't want to be lost anymore.

Um so what if in college you are not having some great social life. You are going to better yourself in college by getting an education. I almost think I perfer being alone in college so I don't have any distractions that would mess me up in getting good grades.

So pretty much what I am saying is so what if your not meeting people in college just focus on getting a good education.

Josh said:
So pretty much what I am saying is so what if your not meeting people in college just focus on getting a good education.

I think part of the problem is that we are always being told these are the best days of our lives. Dramas and that revolve around those days of your life, not doing anything in them kinda makes you feel like you've wasted the best part of living and now you won't have any of those chances again.

HiddenHydey said:
Wait...you were popular in high school? Automatically? Wow.
yep. i was. & its alot of pressure actually

Josh said:
Um so what if in college you are not having some great social life. You are going to better yourself in college by getting an education. I almost think I perfer being alone in college so I don't have any distractions that would mess me up in getting good grades.

this is really good advice. i was thinking the same. but it seems like most of us in the us just go 2 college 2 party. so i wasnt going 2 bother saying it
i shouldve concentrated more on my grades. sorry i didnt. i dont know anybody i knew in college LoL anyway. the popularity crap was all useless. the grades wouldnt have been

HiddenHydey said:
Josh said:

I think part of the problem is that we are always being told these are the best days of our lives. Dramas and that revolve around those days of your life, not doing anything in them kinda makes you feel like you've wasted the best part of living and now you won't have any of those chances again.

Hmm intresting I have always thought of these years of my life as the worst times. I mean most college students are poor, have little free time and always stressing grades. I can't wait to be done with school and be on with my life.

Yeah, I don't know how people can say college is where you will make life-long friendships. Most of the people I have met live far away from the area in which the college is located. So even if I do make friends, once they graduate, I will likely never see any of them again. I think focusing on your studies, like others have mentioned, is the better deal. The problem is figuring out what you want to study...at least for me.

Wow, what a way to bring my hopes down. I was planning to go to AZ (from IL) for college, but took online classes for the first year. (I wasn't ready to go). My plan was to go on-campus next Fall, but the way you guys are making it sound, I may just stick with online classes.

My hopes were to "start over" with my life. Make new friends, perhaps a relationship, and become more socially active...Now, I'm just not too sure...Even now, where I am taking online classes at home, don't have too much time for socialization...Thinking about going to real classes and holding a job seems more overwhelming than where I am right now...

Blah...I don't know what I'm going to do...I'm still debating if I am really going on-campus next fall...far away from home, that's for sure.

well part of college is making new friends. anywhere u go u make new friends. the problem is always keeping those friends
college is good social practice. but its not the rest of ur life
i would still go on campus 4 the xperience. & bcuz it looks better 2 most employers than an online degree
AZ from IL - sounds like a good culture change. good xperience. & plenty of ppl have relationships @ college. some even meet their future husbands/wives

Wave Shock said:
Wow, what a way to bring my hopes down. I was planning to go to AZ (from IL) for college, but took online classes for the first year. (I wasn't ready to go). My plan was to go on-campus next Fall, but the way you guys are making it sound, I may just stick with online classes.

My hopes were to "start over" with my life. Make new friends, perhaps a relationship, and become more socially active...Now, I'm just not too sure...Even now, where I am taking online classes at home, don't have too much time for socialization...Thinking about going to real classes and holding a job seems more overwhelming than where I am right now...

Blah...I don't know what I'm going to do...I'm still debating if I am really going on-campus next fall...far away from home, that's for sure.

Hey you still could meet people and if you try hard you will. For example if you get into any of the like million clubs most schools have there is a pretty good chance of meeting someone.

As for taking more online class's. I have been going to school for a long time now and have taken some online and some on campus class's. I have also been in many jobs where it was considered "entry level college jobs" that pretty much means job straight from college. Most the time they where unwilling to higher someone that got a online degree. I would be willing to say 95% of employers frown highly upon someone with a degree that was obtained 100% online. So I would highly suggest you go to a campus it does look a lot better and I think you do learn a lot more being there.

college... living alone with a hamster, people .. well... i wish there are more projects i can have a team to work with... and prolly get busier

RogueTomato said:
The problem is figuring out what you want to study...at least for me.

Seriously.
I chose poorly. I invested so much time & money into something I neither want, nor has benefited me (and I don't forsee it ever doing so) to the extent of making my investment worthwhile among the workforce. Now I'm sitting out and letting time pass while hoping to soon snap out of it, put my foot down and go for what I genuinely want to do with myself. In the meantime, I've had a hard time going beyond a mediocre level of income, although I can't say I ever had aspirations of being rich or anything.

I agree with what you and others have said. Focus on your studies. If you have multiple thoughts about not feeling your major, DON'T stay. Maybe it's better to stop pouring time and money into it and take sometime to think than to just keep letting your grades slip as a result of a growing lack of interest and possibly depression as a result of it, I think.

Hmm. I would agree that college has only served to make me more introspective and unattached to anybody. But it has also boosted my confidence a lot because people don't judge me if I wear something questionable, or say something a little stupid.

There's really not the same emphasis on drama as there was in high school, which is what really kept me from being outgoing at that time. Now I feel a lot more outgoing, but I still haven't got any friends. I would say it's a pretty good step, though, at least for me.

The cool thing about college is that you have a lot more freedom. You can switch classes and majors as you please and you only have to see the people you want to see. In HS you see the jerks and bullies all the time and there's no avoiding them. But in college, people really only talk to the friends they hang out with. It's hard because it's still cliquey. I went to a huge school and felt pretty much anonymous. That was good and bad. If you don't find a "group" in college it can feel pretty lonely. I found a club that I really liked and became really involved. That gave me some status and made the little freshmen look up to me. Take any opportunity you can to shine and then the people will come to you. Take leadership opportunities as they come and soon you'll see that you've made friends without even making any effort to.

Yea I liked hs better than I do college so far, i've been here for 2 years and i've become an outcast because I don't drink and party, at least in hs people talked to me, but now in college I can just sit in my room and be alone for the entire day outside of classes..

Latest posts

Back