Celibacy

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt The Rabbit

Reaction score
This is just out of curiosity.
I've heard good and bad opinions on celibacy, as well as claims that people who are ceibate only do it because they CAN'T have sex, not because they don't want to.
On the other hand, I've heard from those who are celibate that the absence of sex brings a deeper meaning and connection to a relationship.

What do you think? Would you, could you, ever be celibate? Are you celibate? What do you think of those who are?

And let's keep this civil; opinions are opinions and everyone's entitled to one.

I don't understand what you mean by people that CAN'T have sex. Do you mean because of a disability or because there is no one in their life to have sex with?

Celibacy to me is a choice. If I don't have a steady partner that shares mutual caring for each other, I chose celibacy, because I am not going to sleep with someone just for recreational purposes.

The latter, that they have no one to have sex with.
So they put a label on it called "Celibacy" to say that they choose not to.
It's mostly a joke, but some take it seriously. I personally think it's bullshit. My mom and her friends are celibate and though they've gotten many offers, they're just not interested in sex, which is certainly respectable in my eyes.

Fun as it may be, sex has brought a lot of trouble because it holds too much importance in our lives. It's nice to see when people find that there's more to life than what's below the belt.

Haz - Howso? A lot of sex is mental. If a person has no desire for sex, in what way would it lead to problems?

As long as we have hormones running through our body I could only think repressing ourselves sexually will lead to problems.

Might as well pay for a castration.

fresia htat nozie....U get prosate
cancer from not have sex if your a male.

Dude...theres also books out there
wriiten by Women
" SEXUAL HEALING".

yes..yes theres more to life than sex.
OH really?

I think that celebacity is a completely virtuous and honorable path in life. Indeed, in many ways, hormones get in our way of rational thinking; certainly Nicolas Telsa was celibate and he did great things for us.

Tesla also died at very young age too. Playing with too much electricity
ya think?

I aint gatta be a fucjen Golden child to figure out BALANCE.
Any morons can figure out he ment taking the midle road...not getting attachVaddicted to anything or in moderations.
Havnt U heard he got enlighten when he figure out be poor (LACK) wasnt such a good idea either as in hoarding ..Which is the oher freaken extreem.
Budhad..suffered from termiall illness
the remaining 10 yrs of his life.
His last words to his follwers were
" youll figure it out when you get there"lol

But shi even Budah had grips of pussy.
A wife and child....
Oneday he fell off his fucken horse..
bumped his fucken head and look
over the fence.
The grass is greener on the other side??? Lmao

Wanting to be a fucken Monk is one
of the most common lonily poeple you
to justify their current illlnessVcondition
to keep themselve in further and further isolations. Its call
SELF RIGHTOUS behaviors. to keep them
in a self impose prison from making healthy and positve changes in their lives.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
On the other hand, I've heard from those who are celibate that the absence of sex brings a deeper meaning and connection to a relationship.

That is an excuse! Simple as that. If anything sex can give a deeper meaning and connection to a relationship. It just depends on the perspective of the people in it. Just because someone is not celibate it doesnt mean they get into relationships just for sex. In some cases ofcourse people do... But people get into relationships for all sorts of reasons.

Doubt The Rabbit said:
What do you think? Would you, could you, ever be celibate? Are you celibate? What do you think of those who are?

I am a virgin at 24 and I am not religious but personally I still think celibacy is rather rediculous. If it is not because of a disability then I think It is just lying to oneself about the reality of nature and I am sure sex can be a wonderful thing if you find the right person to experience it with.

Lonesome Crow said:
Tesla also died at very young age too. Playing with too much electricity
ya think?

Nikola Tesla:

b. July 10, 1856

d. January 7th, 1943

=

86 years old

How the hell is 86 years old "a very young age?"

Maybe you should stop talking out of your ass, LC.

That baby batter will fresia your brain up if it stays in there too long. I'd be a severe nutcase if I were celibate.

... uh, more than I am right now.

ShybutHi said:
I am a virgin at 24 and I am not religious but personally I still think celibacy is rather rediculous. If it is not because of a disability then I think It is just lying to oneself about the reality of nature and I am sure sex can be a wonderful thing if you find the right person to experience it with.

I think ridiculous is a strong word.

There are heterosexual, homosexual and asexual individuals in the world; one sexuality or lack of it entirely can be a valid choice for the individual so as long as it fulfills him or her.

IgnoredOne said:
I think ridiculous is a strong word.

There are heterosexual, homosexual and asexual individuals in the world; one sexuality or lack of it entirely can be a valid choice for the individual so as long as it fulfills him or her.

You can not be fulfilled by "not" having sex. It is completely natural to have sex. Ofcourse I do realize that there are many many reasons why a person would not want to... whether it is because of past, situation, disability etc. It is totally up to the individual in the end.

I kind of made a mistake really because I was specifically talking about permanant celibacy when I called it rediculous. Humans can override their programming, sometimes irrationaly. I think someone who just decides to live a life of celibacy for no real reason is missing out on something which should be embraced. We are lucky as human being's that we can share such intimate moments with another human being.

Well, if you're going to put it that way, are you not simply speaking irrationally from the mind of someone who hasn't/can't have sex for whatever reason?

In my knowledge, sex was originally for procreation, was it not? If someone has already had children and doesn't want/need/is too old to create more, is it really irrational to give up sexual intercourse? As far as blowing a load for whatever medical reason you have to offer, a lot of you have been doing it with your own hands before, so what's the difference if a person chooses to do that in the place of having sex? (D)

No, I don't think I'd become celibate any time soon, but I think it's pretty harsh to call celibacy something that is irrational. After all, what is important varies by person. Why should someone embrace something that isn't important to them (and rightfully so)?

You know what I see sex as? A stress reliever and good ol' fun. Not important or sacred at all. I can fresia just about anyone. If they create a safe, foolproof happy pill that can take the place of that, then I'd go celibate in a heartbeat to complete my antisocial nature.

All in all, sex is the slapping of two bodies together and the swapping of sweat. It's the person him or herself that puts importance into it, as it is with anything. Same way they worship cows in the east, Americans worship their penises and vaginas. It all varies with each person, but I don't believe either one is wrong. That's my take on sex and celibacy.

Im one of the people that respects people for any decision they make-so if someone is celibate, then good on them if it makes them happy. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with it- although for many people, it is seen as weird or stupid to do-afterall we are living in a very sexual world i guess. I dont really understand why people would be against it-its not harming anyone..

Me-Im asexual- I have no sexual attractions or desire for sex-never have, probably never will do. Ive never had sex, dont want to (it never crosses my mind).-ive heard all the remarks, so no need to say anything! I see alsorts of post on here about people that are looking for girlfriends/boyfriends and are distressed by not being able to, i dont have that problem at all so cannot relate but after hearing about what urges for sex can do, i feel that if a sexual person activly stays away from sex for life-**** i think they are strong minded :D

Also the health risks- this whole prostate thing- some urologists believe there is a link between sex and a healthier prostate, but as far as i know that is not proven and there are plenty of people that have lived to a ripe old age without any sexual experience. Sex burns calories-so do many other activities. sex improves heart health-so do other activities..... its hardly concrete is it?!

relationships can be just as meaningful or deep without sex as they are with it. To me, a relationship with a sexual person has something more than two sexual people would have. Between celibates-i wouldnt be suprised if they felt the same-sex is seen as so important to people-to chose not to have it and be perfectly strong and happy says something to me. Sex is natural? Yeh, It doesnt mean you have to do it. Eating meat is, but there are plenty of vegetarians and vegans around. Violence in humans is natural-doesnt mean we all act on it. You can be perfectly happy and fulfilled without having sex. Im happy- im glad i dont have to worry about impressing girls or whatever while others are going crazy and getting worked up about it. Im sure that a celibate person would feel the same. People are different-what is meaningful and fulfilling to one differs to the next; just means instead of sex we have something else to pursue

Perhaps all the negative views on celibacy are just fueled by how sex is portrayed in our society nowadays? Throughout history cleibacy was seen as usual and casual sex was viewed negatively. Now look- its a switch around. Let people live the lives they live (or want to live) and just respect it :)

As men get older their tesstosterone level decrease.Everyones body chemsitry is different. .

Im a firm believer in use it before
you lose it.

You Had Heard from others..
of the many problems of sex.?.
Are you sure your not above the
influence of others belief or ideas?

As some people stated...You can override programming.. .

Its an indivual decision..
Are you sure you.re programing
yourself?

K...are u living alone?
R U getting laid?..
If ur living alone and not getting laid.anyway...its a mute point.
By default ur celibus already.

ShybutHi said:
You can not be fulfilled by "not" having sex.

That's a rather bold claim to make, and your only supporting argument seems to be "It is completely natural to have sex."

Honestly, imagine a world where there was no social pressure to be in a couple and have sex. I imagine a lot more people would openly embrace celibacy. But right now, if you publically said you don't want to have sex, I think most people would assume you tried already and just couldn't get any. So to not look desperate, it's better to shut up and keep the thought to yourself.

Anyway, personally I hate physical contact with others. I've been going out every now and then with the same girl for 2-3 years and the furthest we've went is holding arms once, and she initiated it. It's just how I am, I really don't ever feel any desire whatsoever to make physical contact with people.

...She'll probably end up completely bored of me soon though, but I can't give what I don't have to offer. And I do expect to live a life of celibacy. I don't really have any worries about it at the moment, anyhow.

In most scenario I can imagine, this is probably plain untrue. Shared intimacy (in the form of sex), if done right, seems better in forging a strong bond than the statu quo to me. But yea, I can imagine some scenarios where this could be true, and they're very specific.

Anyway, that's just my view on the subject.

Semi related question to Rolo and Nitramici.

Would you ever consider being in a relationship and "getting physical" just for the sake doing something for your partner? Kinda taking one for the team so to speak, despite not having any interest in it. Sort of like how my ex girlfriend made me watch Titanic.... fresia that honeysuckle was boring, but I did it for her.

(Seriously, you have no idea how boring that movie was)

Latest posts

Back