Thoughts On Phone Contact Between Members?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Haines

Reaction score
Hi, Folks...

(I am aware that some Skype involvement exists already, for some of you and I imagine that it works very well!)

I'm curious about members of this board (preferably with the blessing of those in charge of it) being, or becoming ready, equipped and able to use telephone contact to supplement their attendance, here.

Having only the one brain, I'm prone to completely missing one or two good (or bad) points of any concept. Opinions from others tends to correct that error, so I'm here to ask you guys about it, too.

It would mean the sending of a contact landline telephone number, by PM, to somebody that you know well enough to trust.

I, for example, having not been here for long enough, should not be sent a number, because I'm simply not known enough - good security is priceless!

I'm basically disqualified, for now, from the idea, anyway, for that reason.

But, there may be no reasons why this can't be made to work, for others.

I am starting this thread in order to ask you all if you think that this can be made to work, and work on a regular basis.

I'm primarily talking about the general landline communications that could be employed, by willing members, to further reduce loneliness.

- Do you think that it can be made to work?

- What benefits do you think it could bring?

- What problems or other negative issues do you think it would, or could, cause, for MEMBERS?

- Would it, or could it, have a detrimental effect on this board, if attempted on any appreciable scale, among members.

While this is not a vote - I have no rights to trigger one of those - I'm very interested in whether you are for the idea, or against it?

Ian. :)

There is a chat room where you can talk to people already, and it's not uncommon to share msn/skype/phone numbers if you meet someone that you get along with.

Hi, Kamya...

Is the chat room publically visible? Some members might be unhappy with the ability to do so, if that's so. Privacy is as important as safety and security, to some.

Those with little technical know-how might discover some great difficulty in the MSN/Skype, or may be not even in possession of machines that can handle a part of the job, on the basis of platform or speed of connection.

I, personally, know absolutely nothing about Skype - not even the basics, and I've been using computers since 1983 - definitely my failing, I'd say.

There could be many who know less...far less. Any others with ideas or opinions?

Ian.

===========================================

kamya said:
There is a chat room where you can talk to people already, and it's not uncommon to share msn/skype/phone numbers if you meet someone that you get along with.

There's a private chat function built into the chatroom. What members do in PM is pretty much up to them across the board, from what I understand.

I talk to several people here via phone. I haven't had any problems, but Im particular about who gets my number.

Hi, "Yeah!" & "Eve Was Framed" (Ain't that the truth!?)

PRIVATE CHAT FUNCTION! Another piece of very useful information.

And...the wise brain remains particular about that phone security, I've found out!

Oh, and, for the record, Eve was definitely framed: it said so on the WikiPedia! And, women have had very few fair bites of the apple, since then.

Ian.

Ian Haines said:
Hi, "Yeah!" & "Eve Was Framed" (Ain't that the truth!?)

PRIVATE CHAT FUNCTION! Another piece of very useful information.

And...the wise brain remains particular about that phone security, I've found out!

Oh, and, for the record, Eve was definitely framed: it said so on the WikiPedia! And, women have had very few fair bites of the apple, since then.

Ian.

lol, that totally made my day. :p

EveWasFramed said:
I talk to several people here via phone. I haven't had any problems, but Im particular about who gets my number.

Yes, that is why Ian stresses that the exchange would be with people that you know well enough to be comfortable with doing that.

Ian Haines said:
Hi, Folks...

(I am aware that some Skype involvement exists already, for some of you and I imagine that it works very well!)

I'm curious about members of this board (preferably with the blessing of those in charge of it) being, or becoming ready, equipped and able to use telephone contact to supplement their attendance, here.

Having only the one brain, I'm prone to completely missing one or two good (or bad) points of any concept. Opinions from others tends to correct that error, so I'm here to ask you guys about it, too.

It would mean the sending of a contact landline telephone number, by PM, to somebody that you know well enough to trust.

I, for example, having not been here for long enough, should not be sent a number, because I'm simply not known enough - good security is priceless!

I'm basically disqualified, for now, from the idea, anyway, for that reason.

But, there may be no reasons why this can't be made to work, for others.

I am starting this thread in order to ask you all if you think that this can be made to work, and work on a regular basis.

I'm primarily talking about the general landline communications that could be employed, by willing members, to further reduce loneliness.

- Do you think that it can be made to work?

- What benefits do you think it could bring?

- What problems or other negative issues do you think it would, or could, cause, for MEMBERS?

- Would it, or could it, have a detrimental effect on this board, if attempted on any appreciable scale, among members.

While this is not a vote - I have no rights to trigger one of those - I'm very interested in whether you are for the idea, or against it?

Ian. :)

Skype is free and I've used it to call people from all over the world - America, Singapore, Australia, with very clear and uninterrupted sounds. It's FREE! Phone is not free.

Skype only takes 5 mins to download. Even a 5 year old would know how to use it. Nothing complicated. You can also webcam but I'm guessing that's too much for you.

U can aslo use Yahoo to communicate
varbally..if you dont have a web cam.

Theres only one member that have my cell phone. Im very picky on
who I chose to allow into my life
to begging with in real life.
Lots of trust before I give out
my Cell number.

Varbal and viual communications requires a person to be more themselve. and go with the flow....

No time to think or make up
intelligent honeysuckle to write.

Ive been accused of writting
sparatic honeysuckle in the chat room.lmao

Varbal and wrtting skills are like apples and oranges

This partical member fine me
very sweet. Kind and humorus
when speaking to me on the phone.
Her entire pereption of me is not the same of what I write on this board or chat room.

Im actually a really lay bck easy going or out going personality in real life.

Thats why I alway have a GF or have lots of colleague in real life

I dont live alone and the life style I live is not what u would consider lonely.

I have adandent feelings...Its a feeling Iv havnt been able to resolve or made go away. Even if I have friends. Even If my mother hve a reltionship today ( she left me as a child) even if I have people in my life.

Hi...

I have an image of an installed program and I'm wondering how that enables a person to speak to another person, without specific pieces of equipment.

Remember...you're talking to a Skype no-knowledger, here.

School's in! :)

Ian.

Ignored One...

Which part of exhange of information is the "madness"?

Ian.

Ian Haines said:
Ignored One...

Which part of exhange of information is the "madness"?

Ian.

I'm being silly. Its part of "This is madness. Madness? THIS IS SPARTAAA!!!" meme. ;)

You open up the program, add a contact to your list, and call. I don't remember the specific buttons you must press. For communication, you need a microphone. If you have a laptop, there probably is a low-quality on in already. Otherwise, buy a headset or something.

Phone could be a good idea but it would be way to expensive for pople like me who live in denmark.

Latest posts

Back