"Are you feeling lucky punk? Well are you?"

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you consider yourself?

• Lucky

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Unlucky

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • 50/50

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jilted John

Reaction score
I read a post the other day,written by a guy that considered himself the victim of real bad luck.I can empathise with him because I seem to have suffered a lot of bad luck in my life too.

This thread is basically about "luck".Do you feel lucky in life,or not?

Does luck even exist? Is it dependant on positive or negative outlook,if so why so?Money comes to money ect.Why should this be? Are you born lucky or unlucky?

I am genuinely interested in the "phenomena" of luck/chance and would be grateful for your input.

Mmmmm.So far unlucky,and 50/50 are head to head,but nobody has really given their view on what luck is,how it affects you,and why it matters.

Since you want a more in-depth answer, I'll try to explain my "50/50" vote.

I had a bad start in life. There's no doubt in my mind that if my parents had been more decent, I would have led a much happier life. This was purely bad luck. My misery directly led to me meeting a good companion at an early age. This was purely good luck.

As an adult, my life is privileged but my situation is precarious. I have things that other people want, but I still lack things that other people have. I have a lot of freedom, but not total freedom. I've never had to pay the price for the risks that I have taken, luck has been on my side when it really matters. My bad luck is typical and minor. I have had no catastrophes, but no great boons either. This is both good and bad luck in my view.

I am 50/50. I don't think it is luck, but choice and random possibility. So there is a good chance that good things and bad things can happen.

Example: I am a lonely person, yet I have a terrific family. All I am lacking is social contact with peers. 50/50.

I voted 50/50 because I believe the idea of luck is based on the denial of responsibility for ones own choices. However, I'm also willing to concede that uncontrollable circumstances can result in luck or bad luck depending on the situation.

To be lucky/unlucky, wouldn't you have to believe in fate? The very idea of luck, to me, is that the ups and downs of life are not in your control, but instead bestowed upon you by a third party. If something has that kind of control over the outcome of your life, how can you say you have the ability to make any real choice at all?

Then again, there are always victim's of circumstance/bad situations that you have no control over. Maybe you were born with a crippling birth defect or into an abusive household. Is that considered unlucky? If you were born into a wealthy family that provides everything for you and hefty share of nepotism, is that lucky?

I guess I'd say there is no luck in the choices you make and the outcome of those choices, but there may be luck in circumstance. Still seems 50/50 to me.

hi all

i consider myself lucky.

even though i suffer from bad health, i still consider myself lucky. It depends on your perspective in life and the mood you are in. if you are feeling down every thing seems negative and you feel unlucky. if you feel positive, you may feel lucky.

I am a strong believer in fate. From my experiences, every time some thing bad happens, it has led to something positive afterwards in my life. like i am at the right place at the right time. I do have to make choices. However, i am still not sure how fate works. if everything is predetermined than what happens to our choices? I think fate gives us choices and we choose a path and run with it.

i am one of those people who would like to have my whole life mapped out in front of me. And i am in the process of teaching myself that once a plan is made to let go of what happens in my life. Go with the flow. hard thing for me to do. Whether it was lucky or unlucky of how my personality is, i think it is the way it is and i am making a choice to mould it to how i would like it be.

Going back to luck - i consider my self lucky because when i think of my daughter or my husband i think i am lucky to have them in my life. Some one to love and some one to love back.

Whether it is unlucky to have a huge list of health issues - i don't know. i put it down to LIFE. it is as is, i guess. i am still convincing myself that it is part of life to have health issues rather than bad luck.

Once again it is how one looks at life's events or people in life and how they are feeling at the time which determines whether it was lucky or unlucky or 50/50.

that's my view any way.

cheers

Moon

moonlight07 said:
hi all

i consider myself lucky.

even though i suffer from bad health, i still consider myself lucky. It depends on your perspective in life and the mood you are in. if you are feeling down every thing seems negative and you feel unlucky. if you feel positive, you may feel lucky.

I am a strong believer in fate. From my experiences, every time some thing bad happens, it has led to something positive afterwards in my life. like i am at the right place at the right time. I do have to make choices. However, i am still not sure how fate works. if everything is predetermined than what happens to our choices? I think fate gives us choices and we choose a path and run with it.

i am one of those people who would like to have my whole life mapped out in front of me. And i am in the process of teaching myself that once a plan is made to let go of what happens in my life. Go with the flow. hard thing for me to do. Whether it was lucky or unlucky of how my personality is, i think it is the way it is and i am making a choice to mould it to how i would like it be.

Going back to luck - i consider my self lucky because when i think of my daughter or my husband i think i am lucky to have them in my life. Some one to love and some one to love back.

Whether it is unlucky to have a huge list of health issues - i don't know. i put it down to LIFE. it is as is, i guess. i am still convincing myself that it is part of life to have health issues rather than bad luck.

Once again it is how one looks at life's events or people in life and how they are feeling at the time which determines whether it was lucky or unlucky or 50/50.

that's my view any way.

cheers

Moon

Maybe everybody is born with bag of luck,and it's filled with 50% good and 50% bad.Perhaps I used up all the good luck in my bag when I was younger,nothing ever went wrong! I took everything for granted,but it ran out,now my bag has only bad luck left.Sounds nuts,but it makes sense to me.

Me, not a big believer in luck. It's all just random chances, which are coloured by our perception towards those happenings in relation to us. :p

Me, to use a a geeky figure of speech, 'rolled a bad character sheet' and to top that, haven't had much going my way in life so far, but I've grown less jaded and bitter over the past few years. There's things that can't be helped and there's things that you can affect personally, so it's not much use to grief over matters one has no power over.

hi john

would it help you if you talked about your bad luck - what you consider as bad luck in your life? you can private message me if you feel like talking and may be i can help. i could send you my e-mail address if you wanted to talk or you could choose not to talk about it.

you take care

Moon

moonlight07 said:
hi john

would it help you if you talked about your bad luck - what you consider as bad luck in your life? you can private message me if you feel like talking and may be i can help. i could send you my e-mail address if you wanted to talk or you could choose not to talk about it.

you take care

Moon

It's okay Moon,I've learned to live with it now,and I accept that s**t happens,It just happens to me more than I deserve.It's not something I imagine,it really does happen,in spades! One thing I never,ever,say is "Well it can't get any worse!" Because in my case,I know it can.

My only reason for starting this thread,was to try and find out why some people are lucky,and some unlucky.

Jilted John said:
moonlight07 said:
hi john

you take care

Moon

It's okay Moon,I've learned to live with it now,and I accept that s**t happens,It just happens to me more than I deserve.It's not something I imagine,it really does happen,in spades! One thing I never,ever,say is "Well it can't get any worse!" Because in my case,I know it can.

My only reason for starting this thread,was to try and find out why some people are lucky,and some unlucky.

no worries john

have a good day

cheers moon

I'm feelin' lucky tonight. B)

I think I'm pretty unlucky in life, but at the same time I still feel lucky. does that make any sense?

"Luck is the residue of design." - Branch Rickey

I believe that a person makes his own luck; by being prepared, one can better exploit opportunities or plan for contingencies.

Latest posts

Back