School and your social life. Please advise.

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pheenix

Reaction score
I'm leaving my second year of high school, because I had a depression in the first year and I want to redo the material, plus I want to meet people I didn't interact with during the course of the depression.

Now, here is the deal, I don't much like the standardized way school is taught, and I believe I could learn 3-4x as fast on my own. This is not the point of the thread, so if you don't believe me, just ignore it, or take it to my pm.
So I was looking at my options, and there are ways that varyingly accommodate this. I could take a home-schooling or net-school course, which leaves me at home to do things myself for 2-3 years. I will still be handed a curriculum, but I can read around it whichever way I see fit. Alternately, I can start a 2-year period for high school after a year has passed where I am on my own. This is called HF in Denmark, I don't know if an American equivalent exists. This way, I could teach myself the subjects on my own first, with material and pace of my choosing. This is a big advantage. I would still be kept imprisoned in a class room 8 hours a day redoing the same material, but that looks hard to avoid, as dystopian as it is. If need be for the sake of clarity, let's focus on this second option: a year outside school, followed by a regular 2-year school period.
My mother does not want me to do this. However, I am 18 in a month, and all she has on me then is taking away my food and shelter.
Her argument is a diffused and disorganized mess up social screaming. Let's see: I need to be together with people for most of the day at such an important part of my life. I need to be social here and now, it can wait no longer. If I stay out of being obligated to seeing people daily, my social skills will wither away permanently.
That last one of hers is the only argument I will take seriously once I turn 18, because otherwise it is my life. Have you people heard of this? Is it really true? It sounds like a myth to me.
It is very important to note: I am independent and motivated. I am not asking if there is a risk you will lose your social skills on a year off, but if is unavoidable. I will take any measures necessary.
Also, shouldn't you be able to do something to meet people on your own in a year of home schooling? I could work as a volunteer for several cafes, hang out at every bar in a miles radius every day, get proper work, plan events, whatever. Basically, anything. Not if it is hard or not, but is it possible to meet people outside school if you have the 8 hrs of school as a reserve?

Latest posts

Back