Facebook - how did it work for you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beans

Reaction score
I don't know, but I think Facebook is such a powerful tool since the last invention. It allows you to connect and share your life with people from all over the world.

However, sad to say that in my opinion, even though we have made so much progress with technology, social media, better communication tools, we have totally digressed in human aspects.

For example, I was interested to getting some info about a particular city so I saw that a few people lived in that city and I messaged them politely to ask if they can tell me what it's like etc but out of 10-15 people I messaged, only one replied. I wasn't even asking for money. It'd only take maybe 5-10 mins to type a response? Some of these people were even my own countrymen (who totally ignored my messages). I know they still use Facebook and are active on it because I see that they keep changing their profile pics.

Then sometimes, I would join these self improvement pages. I notice this lady who seems to be from my city, so I emailed her saying "hey nice to meet someone from my own city, didn't know you were into this, not many are around here..etc" And she just replies rather shortly "yeah there are, nice knowing you anyways" and that's it. But on the self improvement page, I can see she's always writing some kind of positive honeysuckle every 10 secs or so. And they even often talk about spreading love. Huh.

I even joined one called 'lonely' page and I wrote something on their wall and was completely ignored by the adminstrator. This page only had probably less than 50 likes, and it was very bare. I'm sure he would have noticed my comment. But yet he went on and on about his own stuff. I finally said "even on this f*cking loneliness page, nobody replied." and unliked the page.

Then, with the self improvement/fitness gurus, e.g Robin Sharma, John Assaraf, I notice they are always updating statuses like "Just arrived in Italy in a 5 star hotel, doing this doing that."

Or "At the airport now...etc etc"

Gee, yes, we know you travel.

John Assaraf would update pics of his beautiful home with pools, mountains at the back, etc etc and all his travel visits.

He even took a pic of his wife sitting in a limo going shopping in Paris. Another of his status he wrote "Well due to the hurricane, my wife and I are gonna stay inside the hotel to rest, read and ______!"

I was reading the responses and not one of them said "TMI".

While Facebook is a great way to connect with people, I often wonder how many people there are really there to 'connect'? I'm sure there are some. But most of them use it to show off and sad to say I've not met many kind and interesting souls on there.

facebook rules

the thing is i've rarely used it as a tool to meet people, but more a way to make it a kind of social hub that connects all the different people I have met over time. i've got local friends and family on there, as well as online contacts i've met on the different internet forums and chat websites I have frequented. I like it because it brings these two worlds together for me, I can indulge in discussing my interests openly which is something I don't often get the opportunity to do with those in my social circle. The best thing of all is i'm not gonna lose contact with these people, as long as we remain facebook friends and the service is still running.

but, as it is a social medium it is going to come with its own set of rules and guidelines how to deal with others who use it. there will always be conflicting opinions and behavior that rubs you up the wrong way, if you always look for the worst qualities in people they are there on display for you. but, sometimes you gotta let these things slide or it will sap 90% of the enjoyment out of it, in any social arrangement.

All my ex got a hold of me....and they all wanted me back :p
saying they made a mistake and still in love with me after all this time
and Im such a nice guy...blah blah blah.
Errrr yeah....if I heard it out of one woman's mouth. I was like ok... maybe
Heard it out of all the women's mouths...
Not all women are the same ....My fucken ass! lmao

Within a week of signing on..... my exwf contacted me.

I never wanted to sign on to FB. The only reason I made an account
because someone asked me for a vedio game...farmville.

I dont enteract on there much..only to keep in contact with my daughters.

LmaO.... I used to go on interpal...chit chat with all kinds of women from all over the world.
U have to becareful cuz of scammers...but most people are down to earth,
it was kind of cool to meet different people from different places
Different life, ways of thinking, culture...etc..etc
It helped me open up my mind,
I wish i can travel the world physically.
I moved 6 different times in the past 6 months but its still the USA

You think thats bad, I have a ton of google+ invites I can't seem to give away. That there's something serene about being part of a social network that no one you know is a part of :D

it's all farce

facebook =

a great way to

- stay in touch with people who we rightfully shouldn't speak to anymore

- stalk ex-bfs and ex-gfs

- be cool once again because we missed it the first time in school

- plant imaginary plants and watch them grow

******* ridiculous.

I also see no strong evidence that Facebook is worth keeping around. People arranging their online time so that their page doesn't show them to be on, because they prefer not to speak to me. People giving pitifully short replies is very accurate. Members with the sort of English skills normally attributed to door handles and tennis balls! Facebook is the perfect mini-demonstration of how gigantic the world of people numbers truly is, and how increasingly tiny and insignificant we lonelyists are becoming. It's like holding up a mirror in front of us and seeing the reflection of only our loneliness - not even a body to be viewed, there!

If my message board didn't have a page there (for what little that is worth, anyway!) I think I'd've deleted the links to Facebook, altogether, by now. It's not worth the time and serves to merely clarify how isolated lonely people are.

The Net has close to nothing to offer us, truth is!

blackhole said:
it's all farce

facebook =

a great way to

- stay in touch with people who we rightfully shouldn't speak to anymore

says who? what is wrong with re-establishing former friendships online

blackhole said:
stalk ex-bfs and ex-gfs

i'm sure this is a minority thing

blackhole said:
be cool once again because we missed it the first time in school

- plant imaginary plants and watch them grow

this is incredibly vague

Ian Haines said:
I also see no strong evidence that Facebook is worth keeping around. People arranging their online time so that their page doesn't show them to be on, because they prefer not to speak to me.

are you a mind reader?

there is nothing insulting about these privacy options, unless you have special evidence to believe they are being used to fresia with you. then you should just assess how you feel about that friend and whether they should be on your list or not.

Ian Haines said:
People giving pitifully short replies is very accurate. Members with the sort of English skills normally attributed to door handles and tennis balls!

there is plenty of lengthy, intelligent discourse from would be intellectuals with exceptional grammar to be had if you really look for it

Ian Haines said:
Facebook is the perfect mini-demonstration of how gigantic the world of people numbers truly is, and how increasingly tiny and insignificant we lonelyists are becoming. It's like holding up a mirror in front of us and seeing the reflection of only our loneliness - not even a body to be viewed, there!

facebook and the interactions of people on it are not some microcosm of society at large, it's just a social networking tool. it has obvious limitations

the party is only as fun as what you bring to it right

Ian Haines said:
The Net has close to nothing to offer us, truth is!

you aren't looking in the right places. the internet is a paradise for social pariahs with niche interests

jesus, haz

with a defense like that, i strongly suspect you are none other than...

MARK ZUCKERBERG!!!

Zuckerberg-for-dickipedia.jpg

There is nothing I like about Facebook. Even if I had lots of friends I still would not want it. Compared to how MySpace was when it first started Facebook is bland. It is uniform and it is all about "look at me look at me". People put loads of pictures and write crap (mostly about themselves). How much of these constant updates do you actually take in?

But worst of all is that it s a great big pair of eyes spying on you, gathering information about you then selling it on. Everything you type, everyone you communicate with, every photo you put up belongs to Facebook, they own that information and they can do pretty much as they please with it. They can now tie that info together with facial recognition software.

I find it bizarre this stuff does not offend more people. If I were to come into your house, following you about with a camera recording everything you do then follow you to work and everywhere you go you would be pretty creeeped out! yet these guys are not only recording everything about you they are selling it on to whoever!

Haz...

If you ever execute a "lengthy, intelligent" search on your keyboard and stumble upon your shift key, we'll talk. Thanks for displaying your own "obvious limitations"!

Good luck at the lower case awards! That propensity for limited lettering must make you very popular on Facebook - yes?

But, thank you for clarifying, for me, that the Internet really is "...a paradise for social pariahs with niche interests."

I'm so glad that we had this chit-chat - well, I provided the chat and you talked chit! :cool:

Ian.

If you don't like it, don't use it !

That's what I think. Nobody is forcing you to have an account.

I think it's a great way of keeping in touch with people. Rather than having to find out their email address etc.

Ian Haines said:
Haz...

If you ever execute a "lengthy, intelligent" search on your keyboard and stumble upon your shift key, we'll talk. Thanks for displaying your own "obvious limitations"!

Good luck at the lower case awards! That propensity for limited lettering must make you very popular on Facebook - yes?

But, thank you for clarifying, for me, that the Internet really is "...a paradise for social pariahs with niche interests."

I'm so glad that we had this chit-chat - well, I provided the chat and you talked chit! :cool:

Ian.

lol

putter65 said:

I think it's a great way of keeping in touch with people. Rather than having to find out their email address etc.

Yeah because I guess you use it to chase women on it. Like you said, 'find out'. Its a great way for guys to track down women they like and try to tackle them on Facebook. Send them interesting messages, etc. I know how it is advantageous like that.

My facebook page is all but shut down. My avatar is a picture of space, everything is set for "only me" to see except for my friend listing, and only use it to see when we are having our next workshops for a particular interests. I really have no use for it.

beans said:
Ian Haines said:
Haz...

Ian.

lol

putter65 said:

Yeah because I guess you use it to chase women on it. Like you said, 'find out'. Its a great way for guys to track down women they like and try to tackle them on Facebook. Send them interesting messages, etc. I know how it is advantageous like that.

Your 'guess' is wrong I'm afraid.

I don't chase women on it. I've never sent a message or got in touch with anybody I don't know. A few people have sent friends requests, people with my surname (It's unusual). A few people I've met on forums have done the same. All my other friends on there are people I work with or used to work with. (My brother and nephew as well !)

I run a lottery syndicate at work and a few people who have left are still in it. I send them messages saying they owe money or how much we have won etc. Rather than wait until I see them or ask them for their email addresses, I am friends with them on facebook. It's alot easier.

I hope that explains things !

blackhole said:
jesus, haz

with a defense like that, i strongly suspect you are none other than...

MARK ZUCKERBERG!!!

Zuckerberg-for-dickipedia.jpg

you got me

I can understand where your pessimism is coming from, don't worry. I do hold facebook partially responsible for helping me overcome a lot of my own personal social anxieties, however. so naturally i'm gonna try and defend it

Ian Haines said:
Haz...

Ian.

grumpy pseudo-intellectual alert. if you're gonna spend more time criticising my lack of desire to impress you rather than try and overcome this inability to deal with conflicting viewpoints, i'm pretty sure I have a fair idea of why facebook didn't work for you

you are a clear case of someone who invites their loneliness. good day

I use it to;

1) Stay in touch with people I met online/real life that live far away from me.
2) Organise football games with friends.
3) Reply/click the 'I like button'/post a link on their wall, when someone posts something on my wall.

I almost never change my status, I rarely upload pictures and I don't share many personal details on my page. That said, I do think anyone can see what I share as I've never bothered with the privacy settings.

cumulus.james said:
I find it bizarre this stuff does not offend more people. If I were to come into your house, following you about with a camera recording everything you do then follow you to work and everywhere you go you would be pretty creeeped out! yet these guys are not only recording everything about you they are selling it on to whoever!

There's a shitload of closed circuit cameras on the streets in the U.K. So if you don't want to be watched while in public, you're outta luck my friend. Facebook is not like being on camera while at home. I only post what I want to post. If I don't want you to see it, you're not going to see it.
I've used it to get back in touch with long-lost friends and to stay in touch with family. They can see how Sofia is doing and pictures that they are interested in seeing like her first day of kindergarten. Before, I would mail hard copies of pictures so it even saves me postage. If you don't like facebook or social networking, the solution is quite simple. Don't do it.

Teresa

Latest posts

Back