How old is too old to still be living with your parents?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mumma's Boy

Is it ok for a 20 year old to still be living with his parents? I really feel pathethic and worthless as most of my friends are already out of their nest in their teens, and it does affect your chances of dating another woman because they see moving out as a good sign of independence, maturity, and that you can stand on your own two feet. Though i am working on moving out before I am 22 years old.

Though am i a loser for being a legal adult and still living with my parents, while ppl who are alot younger than me that have got their own place winners?

I Would greatly appreciate some feedback.

Thank you

Mumma's Boy, Dude, Leaving at home at 20 dose not make you a loser. All my mates lived at home tell they where nearly 30, Some still live at home. The house prices over hear are so High they have no chows.

Seriously I know ppl well into there 30's and still at home. Some are doing very well for them self some not so well. Why would you be in such a rush to move out. I mean you get your washing done and don't have to traps round a supermarket deciding what you what to cook for yourself every day.

I have a big family and have 5 cousins of the top of my head that are 20 are older and all but one is moor then happy to live at home. Am 100% sure if you ask any off them do you wont your own place most of them would say NO WAY... There happy where they are.

Why would you wont all the as-all of having your own place if you don't have to. Sure if you wont to that's different. I mean you can have parties and stuff but probably would not be able to afford it cos of all the bills you would have to pay.

I say stay put man. Your on to a winner where you are. Done worry about all your mates. That's them and probably not as happy as you may think.

When I fist moved out it was one of the most difficult times for me in my life. Not that any one know that cos I hide it.

Cosmic Kid said:
Why do you live at home, if you don't mind my askin'? :)

I would say he lives at home cos hes 20,,, That is normal to live at home at that age in less you go to uni which most ppl do not. Only the brain boxer lol

I would say if you get to 35 then it might start to look a little sad. All tho I have an uncle that's well into hes 50's that lives at home with hes mum still,, (my Nana) and hes moor then happy.

Chill man,,, you got plenty of time.

Mumma's Boy said:
Is it ok for a 20 year old to still be living with his parents?

Though am i a loser for being a legal adult and still living with my parents, while ppl who are alot younger than me that have got their own place winners?

I stayed at home until I was 25. The only reason I moved was because I couldn't stand living with my mother (very controlling person).

I enjoy the freedom I have now, but I miss the money I saved while living under someone else's roof. I wouldn't worry too much. When you're ready to leave you'll know it. Try not to let other people's superficial opinions get you down.

20, and living at home. It's just easier, being a starving student, I can't pay for my own place.

I wouldn't be concerned with it now because you are in your 20's. Sooner or later though, i think it's healthier overall to move out and be on your own. Save some $ while you can get ready to move out for later.

I think leaving gets harder the longer you stay. My bf has a twin brother , at the age of 45, and he's still at home with mom and dad. I see it's not healthy at all. If he meets a potential gf it's a big turn off when they find out he's still at home. He can't invite friends over. It puts a big crimp in his lifestryle. When he goes out at night, his mom is constantly ringing his cell phone. He may have more $ in his bank acct. but he pays a huge price for it. It's not worth it to sacrifice your freedom. He knows he got to change yet, he says he doesn't want to live alone. I think he's starting to act like an old man. Picking up on their ways of thinking . It's not right. Kind of creepy. I hope he can get motivated somehow. For his sake.

I signed for a new apartment today, and I'm very excited. Wohoo! I will move out April 2009 when they've built it, and I'll be almost be 23 by then. I'll have to burn all the precious money I've saved up over the years, and I'll probably never be rich again, and that's the downside of moving out, but I feel like it's worth it. I really want to have my own place. And I can get cats! (When money allows it). My parents are not interested in that ^^

I know it's easy to feel like you're in a hurry to move out, but as long as your parents are okay with it, take your time. Don't rush into it. Don't move until you feel that you are ready. It's a big step, probably one of the biggest in life. Don't pay that much attention to others who move out early. Most of the people I know around my age still live at home. Some are over 25, one is 30. That's absolutely fine. Apartments here are so overpriced. People who move out at an early age probably got their parents paying for them.

Mumma's Boy said:
Is it ok for a 20 year old to still be living with his parents? I really feel pathethic and worthless as most of my friends are already out of their nest in their teens, and it does affect your chances of dating another woman because they see moving out as a good sign of independence, maturity, and that you can stand on your own two feet. Though i am working on moving out before I am 22 years old.

Thank you

Never judge yourself according to other people's standards. Do what you feel is right for you.

This is an interesting thread because I've been having some of the same thoughts on independence.

Well, brother, let me tell you that I live alone and I love the independence and privacy. I had the same thoughts as you: I gotta get an apartment or else I'll look like a loser. I went through college by myself (no parental help) and now I have had my own place for over 2 years. I'm now 24. I was so proud of myself for being on my own and I thought it would really help me with the ladies. But let me tell you something:

It didn't. Not one bit.

I've actually been trying to get this kind of opinion out of women I meet. I got my hair cut by an attractive girl the other day and I asked about this very thing, whether having your own place is really necessary for attractiveness. The answer: a lot of girls really don't care if you live at home because a lot of THEM do it too. She lived at home herself and so did her b/f.

So let me tell you something you probably didn't think about that a lot of these posters are hinting at. There is something more important than independence when it comes to women: money. I might be on my own, but I can barely afford it. I have NO money. Ever. I can't even by decent clothes or fix my car. So when I approach a woman the first thing she's going to notice is my physical appearance complete with ratty clothes and shoes and my old, broken possessions. I might have "independence", but I look like a beggar. I just don't have the "financial independence" that I really want.

Think about it this way: When will a girl learn you live at home? AFTER the first impression. When will a girl learn you have no money? Immediately.

Apartments are expensive, man. No lie. You will be saving hundreds of dollars a month living at home. That's money you could be putting into other things that will improve your odds with women. If you're only 20 that's no problem at all. That's becoming the standard. When you hit 30 though, you better get your ass in gear.

I'm struggling terribly to pay my bills. The people I know who lived at home (and still do) are MUCH better off than me in terms of money and relationships. They can save for homes and cars, they can take their women out to nice places, and they are much more care-free than miserable old me. Girls really don't seem to care, man, honestly. And it's really been pissing me off. I really thought this apartment was a good selling-point, but it's only a cool little bonus. Stay at home, save your money, and improve yourself in other ways that will improve your odds. Independence is over-rated and over-priced.

That Guy, I agree with everything you just said. Didn't help me having my own apartment with girls ether. After all they don't know that when you see them. And yea the friends I have that still live at home have a better love life them me. (lol they have a love live) Having an apartment is better when you have someone to share (like a girl maybe) In tell then use your free cash that you will not have with your own place to go out and find miss right.

My parents said to me for the millionth time the old "if you are going to live in this house, it will be by our rules, or you can leave". So, I got a job as a telemarketer after school, found a nice little room for rent and moved out. Surprised the hell out of the parents. I lived on the $0.99 Big Gulp & cheeseburger deal at 7-Eleven.

My brother moved out when he was 31.

In many cultures, people live with their parents until they are married. Period. That is often in the very late 20's or early to mid 30's!

And if they never get married, they never move out. Period!

Having a sexual relationship with someone can be awkward, but there are ways people do it. Other than that, who cares about moving out? Why worry about your own: Rent, electricity, gas, water, food, insurance, etc. Those bills these days are OVERWHELMING to the point that I wish I could move back in with my family! And I'm age 31!

I'm 20 years old and still live at home with my parents. I've suffered from depression for 18 months and I feel that it is partly to blame for this situation. I can't afford to move out although I desperatly want to! Also, I think part of me's scared that I won't be able to cope on my own in the big wide world. The idea of having to arrange viewings of flats over the phone or ringing up for quotes on things scares the hell out of me! The prices to buy a house is immense and paying bills along with other outgoing payments make the possibility of me getting my own place slim. I feel embarrased to tell people even at work that I still live at home and I feel trapped and stifled living with my parents.

I read the last reply from "That Guy" and he is 100% correct. Financial independance is much more important than your own place. Wait until your like me, have a family to pay for and wife that refuses to work but is willing to spend.

Frustrated said:
I read the last reply from "That Guy" and he is 100% correct. Financial independance is much more important than your own place. Wait until your like me, have a family to pay for and wife that refuses to work but is willing to spend.

With the way the economy has been recently in the U.S. a lot of people are being forced to move back home with folks. I read it in Newsweek so it must be true. :D

Well I am 25 years old and i live with my parents. if i leave here i am afraid what i may do. i mean the only thing from keeping me from becoming utterly alone in this world is them. although they cannot help me with my loneliness....even though i live here, i am still empty inside. i still feel the hurt of being lonely but it would be so much worse if i did not have them. if it was not for me living here i am not sure what i would do. so i have no thoughts about leaving....and I could care less what others think about it...

Haha, dudes, I don't see whats all the dislike about living with your parents. I mean come on man, free lodging....free food (other than the fact you need to give your parents money to support them) and they also offer unconditional help. I mean its totally ok. But sometimes it can get hard though as both you and your parents have conflicting issues.

Guest said:
My parents said to me for the millionth time the old "if you are going to live in this house, it will be by our rules, or you can leave". So, I got a job as a telemarketer after school, found a nice little room for rent and moved out. Surprised the hell out of the parents. I lived on the $0.99 Big Gulp & cheeseburger deal at 7-Eleven.

My brother moved out when he was 31.

haha about the same thing I did. I don't like being told what to do, I moved when I was 20 and nearly starved as a result but it was by my own rules :)

Thing has changed from the past ,Some adults can't afford rent,paying health care, and other bills on their own so they live at home.I do live with my parents and i'm in my 30's and i don't care what people think about me living with my parents.I'm not on welfare or laying on my butt not working.I just can't afford paying rent,gas ,water,garbage and electric bill with my salary.

19, living at home. I would love to move out the second I'm financially secure. Though I admit I'm afraid of being entirely responsible for my self because I dont know anything about personal finance even though *ahem* I'm studying to be an Economist. Even if I moved out I know I have my parents full support, ever since I started my depression streak though I've lost a lot of motivation.

From what i've seen though, people who move out at an early age (especially in here in NYC) become stressed, nasty people and I really do wish I stopped a friend from doing that.....Unless you're rich and you can afford to live a comfortable lifestyle without working your ass off, I don't think you should. Or unless you have problems at home. The question is, are you financially independant?

Latest posts

Back