What's the nicest thing anyone's ever said to you?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
Was trawling through my brain for good memories (rather worryingly I couldn't think of any at first) when I recalled a couple of things said to me ages ago that really made me happy :)

The nicest thing I think anyone has ever said to me was probably from my neighbour. Out of the blue she said to my mother "One day, your son will make a very lucky girl a wonderful husband."

I overheard this from the other room, where I was making some tea, and pretty much grinned from ear to ear for the rest of the day :D

Second nicest thing ever was from some girls back at high/secondary school. It was at a time when I was getting a lot of crap from immature people, when suddenly I bumped into some girls about 3 or 4 years older than me in the cafeteria. It was so refreshing to meet people who were nice to me.

They called me over and one said "He's like...The One, isn't he? Do you have any older brothers?" *I shake my head confusedly* "Awww. So cute!"

I didn't even understand what they meant at the time, but a few years later I realised. It's a shame I wasn't older when it happened, but then I guess they would never have called me over if I was :p

Most recently, I remembered when my father said he was very proud of me. He's a great guy, but normally doesn't praise me too much. I felt strangely emotional when he told me that.

So there's my three shining moments of awesome that came back to me. What are other people's? I'd like to hear them and have a feel-good sharing session :)

I've had lots of compliments from customers that said I was very helpful, nice and informative. One guy told me that he likes how I don't bullshit. I had a rather jerk of a customer one day that was giving me a real hard time. I kept my cool and when the guy left these two ladies (who are real nice and come in a couple times a year) gushed over how well I handled the guy. One of them was ready to smack him. They still mention it sometimes when they come around. That really makes my day when customers give compliments, especially when you are at work, it really lifts up your spirits.

Once, my boss personally complimented me on a project I had done. He rarely ever does that. Even the girls in the office told me how impressed he was, I guess he was showing them what I had done up.

One time I was babysitting these two kids (many years ago), a brother and sister, who wanted to go to the variety store. There was this old lady there who I won't describe because it will come off mean. Anyway she told the girl that she is so lucky to have such a handsome babysitter. That totally embarrassed me and made my face turn red, so much so that the little girl told me to thank her for the compliment. LOL!!

Sci-Fi said:
I've had lots of compliments from customers that said I was very helpful, nice and informative. One guy told me that he likes how I don't bullshit. I had a rather jerk of a customer one day that was giving me a real hard time. I kept my cool and when the guy left these two ladies (who are real nice and come in a couple times a year) gushed over how well I handled the guy. One of them was ready to smack him. They still mention it sometimes when they come around. That really makes my day when customers give compliments, especially when you are at work, it really lifts up your spirits.

Once, my boss personally complimented me on a project I had done. He rarely ever does that. Even the girls in the office told me how impressed he was, I guess he was showing them what I had done up.

One time I was babysitting these two kids (many years ago), a brother and sister, who wanted to go to the variety store. There was this old lady there who I won't describe because it will come off mean. Anyway she told the girl that she is so lucky to have such a handsome babysitter. That totally embarrassed me and made my face turn red, so much so that the little girl told me to thank her for the compliment. LOL!!

Oh, that last one gave me a good chuckle, heheheh! :D

I'm fond of people hating on me; I acutally used to keep a small collection of people who were furious with me for being better than them or who had been driven to distraction and self-doubt by the defeats that I had inflicted on them directly or indirectly. Most recently, I have a replay from LoL where I began to zone out someone as Annie so well that the opposite player began to scream something about hating little children and various pedophilical ramblage ending in ragequitting.

<3

I also keep one particular post from my mentor on how well I wrote.

IgnoredOne said:
I'm fond of people hating on me;

Why?

Sci-Fi said:
That totally embarrassed me and made my face turn red, so much so that the little girl told me to thank her for the compliment. LOL!!

That's too darn cute.

Anyways, actions speak louder than words. The nicest thing I can think of right now is when, during lunch hour in highschool, a dude who kept trying to pick a fight with me came up to our table to cause trouble and two of my friends stood up and drove him away. In retrospect, highschool wasn't such a bad time.

I can't think of anything I would consider to be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I remember spending like 2 hours before school to look all nice. During lunch someone said "Wow, what happened to you? You look like honeysuckle." -_- I guess my hours of trying were failure :p

Sterling said:
I can't think of anything I would consider to be the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me. I remember spending like 2 hours before school to look all nice. During lunch someone said "Wow, what happened to you? You look like honeysuckle." -_- I guess my hours of trying were failure :p

Oh, that's terrible. I wouldn't take it too hard though, I think people often say that as a form of banter, kind of like camaraderie. Except it sometimes comes across as being callous if you don't actually look that bad :rolleyes:

I remember a few months ago I got up early, had a shower, changed into my nicest clothes. I checked in the mirror and I looked fine! Later this girl that's one of my closest friends looked horrified and said "Whoa, you look like you haven't slept!" so apparently my mirror analysis was wrong.

I've also had a male friend say "You look like honeysuckle" too, which was kind of offensive but I laughed it off and I think he was just joking about. I shrugged off the temptation to say "So do you, Mr Greasy Hair Penisface!" :D

I can also identify with what IgnoredOne means. It's sort of like, not satisfaction that you're upsetting someone, but amusement that they're not mature enough to just take their beating with dignity. Laughing at poor sportsmanship really.

Ages ago this guy I was beating in an online game suddenly announced (after being friendly the rest of the match):

"Where is your wife? I think she is sucking of the cocks."

Then he disconnected abruptly. I spent the next 5 minutes laughing at the thought of my imaginary wife having an affair :D

I once had a pretty young woman I'd spent a year or so working with tell me I have a good heart. She then told me not to let anyone walk over me.

Something else that struck me (probably within the last year or so) was when a pretty woman randomly told me I have great posture. This was outdoors (I think I'd just taken care of some business). I said "really? thank you!" I've always been down on my posture. One of the things I've been paying attention to since I started working out at a gym is trying to stand tall with my shoulders back, chest out, and chin slightly up. When I remind myself to do this, I think of her words.

And let's see. What else. I get a lot of little compliments. You know, you'd think with all the compliments I get from people (especially women), I'd be in a relationship or would have been in recent years as opposed to usually feeling like it will never happen again. I can think of a lot of little things women have told me. I've had a female friend tell me I have a nice butt, not that she's seen me naked or anything. I'll admit to working it out. :D I know of at least a couple of women who've told me they like my voice in the past year. I've got female co-workers who've spoken positively about my intelligence. I get the "handsome" one frequently.

Weird. Maybe I'm not interesting enough.

I've always been into photography, but never been able to afford courses or expensive equipment. A friend of mine do, however, and his camera stuff could fill a suitcase, I'm sure. But despite of courses and equipment, another friend once said that "Your pictures are actually a lot better than his". I'm sure I grew a couple of inches taller that very moment. :D Within the same theme, two friends who got married a couple of years ago, said something insanely nice: "We want you to be our wedding photographer".

During my first year of high school, I wrote an essay for Norwegian class (what would be English class for most of you guys). It came back with an A, and my teacher's comment: "I rarely give an A to first year students, but this time I will."

Someone said to me once "I think you're really knowledgeable about books and art aren't you" or something similar. I mean I'm not sure how true it is but its nice he thought it...

I used to work as a cashier, and customers vary from being extremely kind and disturbingly rude. My favourite was an older lady that I saw quite frequently and one day she told me, "Every time I'm ready to pay for my stuff, I always look for you." Another person said something along the lines of "You're about the only cashier I've seen here who seems to give a rat's ass about customers." The latter I'm sure is not true, but it still made me very happy. :) Looking back, I think it was because of these people that I was able to become a lot less shy than I used to be.

Another fond but embarrassing memory is when I was feeling down about myself and one day absentmindedly asked my older brother if I was a catch. He seemed to ignore me, but a day later I got an email (which I still keep) from him saying this exactly:

"Of course you are a catch. Who do you think raised you? Why do you think I'd have to protect you if you weren't. You can't just go to any guy you know."

We never talked about it again, but I'll always remember it.

In real life: "You look nice in that shirt" from a random lady.
On the internet: I was part of a christian online community years ago. I left abruptly. Upon doing a random google search of my username, I found a thread where people were actually saddened by my absence. It feels nice to be missed.

The nicest thing anyone ever said to me was "I love you". Those three words carry so much weight, especially if you love that person. I miss hearing those words. Sorry to be a downer

"You're smart!" "You're really talented!"

Just the same stuff I tell other people.

Oh I chatted with a lady at the air port once, she was complimenting me on how young I looked and other things (this was around 4-5 years ago), and we kind of chitchatted for a bit, probably one of the times some random strangers says nice things to me.

Today a shy/quiet coworker from another department walked over to me while I was doing something and put a note next to what I was working on. It says "you are a good person with a good heart. Stay that way. I like you the way you are. =)".

All I could do was smile at her. Later in the day I saw her again and I said thank you.

I've had a co-worker tell me that I was a good person and that he felt privileged to be able to work with me. That me smile extra big.

If a non-verbal gesture counts; and if I wanted to included something positive that has stuck for a long time, my boss gave me a coffee mug and it said "rocket scientist" on it in 2004 during our staff meeting.

Therefore, at work, if someone has a problem or needs help with their computer, M$ Office Application, writing a VBA, and ect, they will say "you might want to ask the rocket scientist."

"Its about time everyone knew how beautiful you are"...its hard to know if he meant it now though.

Latest posts

Back