*RANT* (It is not long don't worry)

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostInside

Reaction score
Finding a job is so frustrating. April to now and I haven't been able to find a job. I don't know why but I thought going back to school to get a second degree would show I am serious about working in that field (physical sciences).

Also I can't stand those job posts which say
Entry level*

*Just kidding! You need 1-to-5 years experience

I would gladly give up
1. Any health insurance - If the company faces a fine I will pay it
2. Over time pay - If they need me to work longer I will do it on a volunteer basis for free
3. Vacation days - I won't take any vacation ever
4. Sick days - Just don't fire me for being sick, but the company doesn't need to reimburse the day
5. Paid training - I will pay for additional training myself
6. Reimbursements for travel - I will not take any reimbursement for travel if the job requires it
7. Minimum wage - At this point I don't care if I get paid below minimum wage

I literally spend all day looking for jobs, I generally apply to at least one every day and some days I strike oil/gold/diamonds and find seven or so to apply to. I feel this is a horrible position to be in as a new graduate because fairly soon I will have to compete against more new graduates who will have a more recent degree with the perception that they remember more.

I feel your pain! I need a job, any job. I've applied to everywhere in the mall. All the stores in plazas, food places, hotels, etc. Can't find diddly squat. The can't pay you below min wage.....unless they're paying you under the table :eek:!

"Experience required" really pisses me off.

I've not even "properly" looked for a job yet, I've just scoured some freelancing boards looking for a small job I can do while on break from studying.

I've come up with a whole bunch of things I could do really to a good standard, but every single one is like "Oh, and you need 3 years' experience."

It's such a dumb paradox.

Hell, I reckon I could do most of the jobs I look at better than those with the 3 years' experience. I look for writing jobs, and my writing is typically higher or equal standard to the stuff they use in their examples, yet because I'm "green" I'm not wanted. Silly.

It's hard for everyone to find a job right now; SO YOU ARE NOT ALONE.

Just do your best to gain whatever experience you can (even through volunteering, etc)... and hopefully in the next 2-3 years, the economy will pick up again.

Volunteering and unpaid internships are some of your best options at the moment; unfortunately, you are also competing against many experienced individuals who are this point might be paranoid enough to take on those positions just for additional security/safety.

There /are/ a lot of jobs in certain fields, such as mine, however - I am presuming that you have an engineering degree? Be aware that the vast majority of jobs are not advertised and networking through sites such as LinkedIn can be more useful than just trolling for jobs through sites.

IgnoredOne said:
There /are/ a lot of jobs in certain fields, such as mine, however - I am presuming that you have an engineering degree?

This hits the nail on the head.

I'm 2 years away from having a degree that should open the job market for me, but haven't yet had a "proper" job. So I'm pretty much that scummy guy no one wants and so I have to watch my study loans go up and up helplessly :p

Well, you have professional clubs that you can join at the moment at school, I believe? Look into them - often they have speakers from companies; try to get to know them, talk to them, see what they are looking for and get an internship. These two years are INVALUABLE in building your future career if you hustle.

I read recently that companies are only hiring people who are working now. They automatically assume people not working are somehow flawed because they are not working. How messed up is that? Everybody that still loves capitalism clap your hands... and then bend over, here they come again!

Twenty years ago I walked out of a Texas "Job Search Seminar" in which the only skills they were teaching was how to "make friends" and then use them to get a job. In other words, find people to use to get what you want. It's gone down hill from there. Suck ups and ass kissers rule the world.

Sad... very sad.

I posted an ad on Cragslist saying I would work for FREE and didn't get a bite. Just the way it is right now.

IgnoredOne said:
Well, you have professional clubs that you can join at the moment at school, I believe? Look into them - often they have speakers from companies; try to get to know them, talk to them, see what they are looking for and get an internship. These two years are INVALUABLE in building your future career if you hustle.

You know, this is really embarrassing, but I've so far avoided most of the useful extra-curricular events like that because my self confidence is just so terrible. There's a management promotion going on right now that nets you a 10 day course if you do a small essay on leadership.

I think that might be really good for my C.V, but frankly I'm so terrified of having to talk to the guy one on one that I can't bring myself to do it.

How utterly pathetic is that? Urgh :(

The only thing I have been to was this Law thing and even then I couldn't bring myself to talk to any of the information vendors. I guess I may as well cut off my lofty ambitions right now.

Sometimes I feel for all the effort I put into my work, I have a snowball's chance in Hell of actually getting anywhere because of such an irrational outlook on social interaction. I feel capable of doing most any job, except leading a presentation or attending a company meal or something fills me with this awful dread that I can't shake off.

Anyway, sorry for the outburst, that's today daily dose of truth for myself ;)

I am in your position so I understand your struggle. It's a catch 22 situation!! The job ask you to have experience, but there is no jobs that would provide you the experience. Degrees don't even provide you job experience either, all they can give you is skills that isn't sufficient for the job. I haven't properly looked for a job yet because I'm a bit clueless to what I want to do, but I know I need to start cracking soon. I have been looking through internships and even those require experience lol! I might have to try and find some volunteering placement or something, I don't wanna sit at home on my butt all day. I have acquaintances on fb who graduated uni a year before me and they're just working on full time average jobs you can get without a degree... I don't want to be stuck in the rut, I'm more ambitious than that. My motto is to just keep looking for a job as if it's a job itself, you'll find something eventually.

The job market is ridiculous. I live in Nevada the highest unemployment rate and just like everywhere else it is just tough to get a job. RIDICULOUS!!!!

TheSolitaryMan said:
You know, this is really embarrassing, but I've so far avoided most of the useful extra-curricular events like that because my self confidence is just so terrible. There's a management promotion going on right now that nets you a 10 day course if you do a small essay on leadership.

I think that might be really good for my C.V, but frankly I'm so terrified of having to talk to the guy one on one that I can't bring myself to do it.

How utterly pathetic is that? Urgh :(

The only thing I have been to was this Law thing and even then I couldn't bring myself to talk to any of the information vendors. I guess I may as well cut off my lofty ambitions right now.

Sometimes I feel for all the effort I put into my work, I have a snowball's chance in Hell of actually getting anywhere because of such an irrational outlook on social interaction. I feel capable of doing most any job, except leading a presentation or attending a company meal or something fills me with this awful dread that I can't shake off.

Anyway, sorry for the outburst, that's today daily dose of truth for myself ;)

Been there, done that. You never get better until you keep trying, however, and yes, that involves a healthy dose of crashing and burning.

Consider life to be a RPG where you have some skills at 1%. The joys of grinding await you, wayfarer.

Latest posts

Back