Guitar

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

Lollipop286

Well, I'm not really sure if this thread should be in this section...but it does pertain to expressing yourself....well expressing myself.

I'm considering taking up guitar and have been looking around on the internet at different guitars and whatnot. I know it's going to be hard, it's going to be annoying, I'm going to want to quit, blah blah blah so don't go on saying that, really, it's just going to be annoying if you do and will be ignored, so you're wasting your time. I've been looking through used guitars on craiglist, new guitars online, pawn shops (overpriced, so no -_-), and music stores, but I really do not know what to be looking for.

Anyways, what would be your guy's opinion on a good beginner's guitar. Preferably an acoustic or an acoustic/electric. I'm not really wanting to break the bank either. Really, the highest I would go is probably 150. Maybe above that to 200 if it was really awesome, but I would really prefer not to. I know what you're going to say, if you want a good guitar, you're going to have to spend some! You get what you pay for! Well, I don't care. This is my price range. Maybe after I get more into it, I'll upgrade.

Anyways, what are some that you guys would recommend?

its not that difficult really ones you get it.
it is going to hurt though :p

really doesnt mather what kind of guitar you start with.
150 should be more than enough.
acoustic are cheaper.
electric is a bit lighter to play on, might hurt a little less.
but you will need an amp for that, more money to be spend.
when you play for a while you will notice a big difference playing on a more expencive guitar though.
but your supposed to start out on a piece of crap really.

id just go into a music store and see what they have.
see something you like, pick it up see how it feels.
onely thing you kinda wanne pay atension to is the neck not being to thick.
and the little screws that tune the strings need to work properly, cheaper guitars have cheaper tuning screws that do not always work that well.

just find a cute little monster that feels good when your holding it.
some are shaped rediculously uncomfortable :p

if you dont like the guitar youre playing on youre likely to give up a lot sooner.
if its the cutest or coolest thing you ever saw and you looooooove it you wont mind it hurting you a little and getting frustrated with it ones in a while ;)

i bought my first guitar about 19 years ago, electric for like 60 euro or something.
im teaching my little sister to play on it now.
still works fine.
although i did replace some of the more crappy parts.

just go out and pet a few, see which one wants to come home with you.
and have fun with it, the buying and the playing.

Ah, guitar.

Well, as was already said, you should start out with a cheap instrument. I have 3 guitars now, had 6 before I had to pawn them, some are expensive but my first one costed me an equivalent of approximately 10 bucks. It didn't have any kind of brand even, probably was made in prison, I heard they make chess sets, basic acoustic guitars and stuff there. I've been rough to it, I could give up on playing altogether, so it would suck if my first guitar was too exquisite.

You should buy the cheapest guitar possible, but of course, as Paulo said, make sure it suits you and it is not damaged. Go to a music shop, try holding and playing different guitars, determine which guitar feels best in your hands. A seller may tell you whatever, but as a general rule, a properly set beginner guitar won't give you hell of a time when you try to play it. It should have low action, so shouldn't be too hard for you to push down strings on fingerboard, but keep in mind that acoustic guitars have higher action than electric ones in general.

I believe a beginner should go for classic acoustic guitar with nylon strings, easier on the fingers. You cannot go wrong with it, no matter how deep down is the level of 'guitar-playing' you're willing to dabble in. Electric guitar can be the next step, of course. But both for beginners who want to be 'musicians' and those who just want to have a few songs in their repertoire to entertain a friend classic guitar over any other would not in any way turn out to be a wrong choice.

My sister had classic Yamaha C70 as her first guitar which is a solid choice for a novice through intermediate. Not too expensive as well, somewhere in the range of 100-150 (I'm not sure). No regrets, good sound, countless stairways-to-heaven were played while she was in her teens and clean.

My um... well, she had Ibanez. They have some good affordable beginner guitars you might want to check out as well.

Ah, guitar.

Well, as was already said, you should start out with a cheap instrument. I have 3 guitars now, had 6 before I had to pawn them, some are expensive but my first one costed me an equivalent of approximately 10 bucks. It didn't have any kind of brand even, probably was made in prison, I heard they make chess sets, basic acoustic guitars and stuff there. I've been rough to it, I could give up on playing altogether, so it would suck if my first guitar was too exquisite.

You should buy the cheapest guitar possible, but of course, as Paulo said, make sure it suits you and it is not damaged. Go to a music shop, try holding and playing different guitars, determine which guitar feels best in your hands. A seller may tell you whatever, but as a general rule, a properly set beginner guitar won't give you hell of a time when you try to play it. It should have low action, so shouldn't be too hard for you to push down strings on fingerboard, but keep in mind that acoustic guitars have higher action than electric ones in general.

I believe a beginner should go for classic acoustic guitar with nylon strings, easier on the fingers. You cannot go wrong with it, no matter how deep down is the level of 'guitar-playing' you're willing to dabble in. Electric guitar can be the next step, of course. But both for beginners who want to be 'musicians' and those who just want to have a few songs in their repertoire to entertain a friend classic guitar over any other would not in any way turn out to be a wrong choice.

My sister had classic Y4m4h4 C70 as her first guitar which is a solid choice for a novice through intermediate. Not too expensive as well, somewhere in the range of 100-150 (I'm not sure). No regrets, good sound, countless stairways-to-heaven were played while she was in her teens and clean.

My um... well, she had 1banez. They have some good affordable beginner guitars you might want to check out as well.

Ah, guitar.

My sister had classic Y4M4h4 C70 as her first guitar which is a solid choice for a novice through intermediate. Not too expensive as well, somewhere in the range of 100-150 (I'm not sure). No regrets, good sound, countless stairways-to-heaven were played on it while she was in her teens and clean.

My um... well, she had 1banez. They have some good affordable beginner guitars you might want to check out as well.

(Hmm). What about a Takamine G-240. I looked it up a bit, and it's an electric acoustic.

^^^If that's what you want, then by all means go ahead.

Personally, I'd probably avoid slightly obscure japanese brands like that. *shrug* I could be wrong. The reviews I just now looked up on that particular model says that it's tuning pegs aren't very good.

Still... go with your gut. If you think you'd like that one, then go for it. :)

I think tomorrow I'm just going to go to a music store...if I can find one....and just look at everything.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. I notice these days there are a lot of reasonably priced guitar kits for beginners on the market for both acoustic and electric, and are often bundled with essential items (I think mine was a yamaha), and now bigger name brands are making their own low priced models. I would go for these, and once you progress as a serious musician there will come the need for an upgrade ^^

Sterling said:
I think tomorrow I'm just going to go to a music store...if I can find one....and just look at everything.

That's the best idea.

It's always better to actually touch the guitars you buy. Even if you can't play yet, you can plink the strings a bit and see how they sound different from each other. Turn the tuning knobs a little bit to see if they're stuff, knock VERY lightly on the wood to see what kind of resonance it gives... things like that. :)

look for a fender Ibanez or yamaha.
well known names and they have some beginners models.
Takamine seems ok to but i never heard of em before.

go check out some Hamer`s for me in the electric section.
i love those things, just cant get em over here. :(

Dude...get an electric.
You can get brand names for under $200. Jacksons, ibenez, Dean,,,etc..etc
At major outlits such as guitar centers or music and friends...
The highter end models are bascailly the same with different pick ups
or tremelo bridges or bling..bling..such as inlays on the fret board.

fresia that craigg list Bullshit. just get something new. You deserve new things.
The technogy today..guitars are better made straight across the board.

Then just get one of those multy effects stump box.
You can get one for under $75.
It'll give you plenty of amps emulators..effects...etc..etc.
Even get the electric to sound like and accustic.
It'll be a toy that makes diffent sounds..so it'll keep you more interest. Plus it"ll also have a built in drum machine to help
you play with tempo
Plus you can plug head phone into it...So you wont bother people.
It'll save you money in the long run for a while.

I have a $200 multi effect one. It dose the job just fine.
for me to keep up my chops. i could had bought the $75
one becuase i dont even use most of the effects anyway.
All of my stage equipments are in storage.

The reason they I recommend and electric is...the strings will be softer
or not as stiff as an accoustic. It'll be easier to you to play.
Plus the actions are also lower..eaier on your hand.
The shape of the neck arnt as thick or as wide as accoustics..
It'll just be easier to play for beginners straight across the board.

becuase you need to develope muscle tones on your forearm and fingers
within the fisrt year...this is where most beginners give up

i used a chaep ass BC rich for my recordings...
I just had a the GT 8 which allows me to emulate verious amps and tones.
Most beginers dont ever bother messing with the tone knobs.

I learned off of a cheap ass piece of honeysuckle Sears and Roboc $10
garage sale guitar. The fucken action sucks..the neck was fat.
It feed back all the time...but I was determind.
New chaep Guitars today are leap and bounds.

Dont get the wal mart stuff.
Outlets such as guitar centers have guitar techs.
They set up the guitrars better...actions and innotations..etc..etc.

Plus the craigg list guitas...youll never know if someone
that didnt know what the they were doing...messed with the necks
thrust rod...and wrap the guitar's neck.
And whatever the fresia they did to it...such as swaping out pick ups.
Make crappy soilder joints..the **** guitar might have messed up
buzzing sounds.

When picking out a guitar...at a new guitar store..you dont have to worry
so much about the neck being warp.

What you wanna do is try out differnt guitars ..The NECK..to fit your hands.
Kind da like trying out gloves.
Theres plenty of high end guitars I cant play. They look pretty or might have
a especific tone. But its fucken useless to for me bercuase the neck dosnt fit my hand.
I stress this piont becuase I've damaged my fretboard hand before.
I didnt think I'd be able to play lead again. I hand gose numb after 15 mins of playing.
It took two years for my hand to heal. My shreading arnt as fast.

I go for 24 frets necks. Thats why higher ends guitars are more expensive.
There's little details...such as the body's cut away to allow access to the higher notes.
Certain 2 peice models...the back of the body are different where the neck bolts to the body
to allow access to the higher notes.

The higher end models are 1 piece guitar...neck and body as one piece.
Easier access to higher notes....longer sustain and resonate becuase it's one peiece.
Mostly made in the USA...therefore higher cost.

Dont get a guitar with a locking tremolo system yet.
just get one with a regular tremolo bar or a standard bridge.
This will allow you to ulter tone your guitars.
A lot of songs now a days have ulternative tuning.
With a locking tremolo system..you're messed.LMAO

Latest posts

Back