Talent

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doubt The Rabbit

Reaction score
Lately I've come to understand the meaning of "talent," positive potential that a person possesses or displays in an activity.
Unfortunately, in realizing this within myself, I've opened up a whole new world of confusion and doubt within myself as well. Things I thought I was good at before don't seem so good. Things I'm talented in don't feel so special. Things I want to do well in, I feel like I haven't got a chance.

Sometimes I wonder if Talent is life's way of telling a person, "regardless of what you want to do, this is what you're MADE to do." Other people may marvel at someone else's talent, but because of that, I personally don't find my talents to be anything special. I'm too busy marveling at things I wish I could do rather than the things I CAN do. Even so, on a good day you'll find me telling you that I don't WANT to be confined to what "gifts" I was "born with." Perhaps in that way I'm greedy. I want to be good at things that I was terrible at before. I want to believe everything I'm good at has nothing to do with talent, but with learned skill. In thinking that, I can feel like any option is open to me as long as I have the chance to learn it.

However, sometimes I feel like there are some things I'm just good at. There are some things I'm just bad at. Sometimes I feel like that will never change. Then, I feel like nothing I do will be good for ME.

I can't express myself in ways I wish I could. I can't emulate those whom I idolize. I start to feel like that which I can do is no good, because it's not something I wish I could do. I'm a green-eyed monster.

I know I'll get two kinds of responses to these kinds of thoughts.

On one hand, I'll be told that I should embrace what I can do and feel proud of it. Yeah, maybe I should settle for honing my talents and making myself better at what I'm MADE for. Sooner or later, I'll be content with what I can already do and thoughts of striving for what I can't do will begin to fade.

On the other hand, I'll be told that I should strive for what I want and that practice makes perfect. How cliche.
My response to that is a big, ******* HOW? How, when satisfaction is a word that has just not made it into my life's dictionary? I'm a person who is constantly settling for second best. I'm always, always settling. I feel like I shouldn't be so selfish as to be unappreciative of what I have, even if I get the inkling that it isn't enough. It is always enough. In fact, I'm lucky to have received anything at all. In this case, that "anything" is talent. I'm lucky to be good at anything at all, and I shouldn't be so ungrateful as to look away from what I'm good at to pursue something I'm not.
I feel like I never want to be that person to whom someone replies, "Well at least you CAN do something, because I can't do honeysuckle."

Do what you want and don't listen to anybody trying to tell you what you do. (Especially not me and this post of mine.)

That's what I'd like to say anyway, but it might not be too realistic. I don't think most people are doing what they "want" to do. Could they have, with enough effort? I don't know, possibly but would they even be themselves if they had that kind of drive? And then there's the fact that many people don't really have a passion for anything. Not to mention financial worries. Those might be the worse.

...Oh gee, that post sure sounds totally helpful. Actually, only the little text in the parenthesis is helpful. :p

No, I think you're right Nitramici :p

Unless I'm willing to be one of those homeless artists, practicality comes first.

I think people are too money crazed. I was planning to go to college, business degrees, MBA...CPA license blah blah blah...but you know....I don't really like it...at all. I find it boring. Why was I even wanting to do it in the first place? Money. Everyone telling me that I need to do something that will make you a lot of money.

So here I am....about to start cosmetology school...because I love it. I'm probably not going to me rich from doing this, but I like doing it and learning more about it. I love make-up, hair styling, etc. I love how it can also make someone feel so much better about themselves, not saying that you need it to feel good about yourself, but if it helps....why not?

It seems that people are too obsessed with doing what makes them money, rather than what makes them happy. If you're happy with something that makes you rich, that is AWESOME. But really, I rather be making a decent living doing what I like or love rather than be some millionaire doing something that really bores me to death.

But, it's important do be able to support yourself throughout life. So...look through all possible opportunities and see what you would like to do the most that would still make it able to get by in life. Do what makes you happy and strive to always have something that makes you happy....as long as it's not killing people.

As Sophia said...do something that you're passionate about.

We all have strengths and weaknesses. Its possible to improve on both aspects, although it is usually more effective in terms of skill improvement/time to focus on our strengths but that doesn't mean we shouldn't shore up on our weaknesses when that is necessary and appropriate(as it often is). There is nothing that we are 'meant' to do.

I'm not saying money is what matters. I'm personally studying to do something with an alright pay that requires a lot of studying, with the goal being a career that I think I could appreciate and do well, hopefully. I'm definitely not doing it to get money, I just want to keep my quality of life the same. But is it what I absolutely want to do? Is it what I'm passionate about? Not really, but I still like it well enough.

If what you're passionate about (and consider yourself lucky if it exists) is completely unrealistic...it's completely unrealistic. If you yourself think you can't pull it off, it's probably not gonna work out. But if you have the luxury of trying it anyway, that's great, I wish everyone could do that.

I'm pretty close to someone who was studying live theatre and dramatic arts and stuff (my translation is probably off on these terms, hopefully the meaning gets across). She ended up ditching it to study nursery. I'm not sure it's a good idea, the stress level and overworking of nurses seems to be through the roof. But it probably beats studying for a few more years to get a dead-end diploma and then doing nothing. Besides, I don't think she was that passionate. More like, she didn't know what she wanted to do. Like most people.

However, a good thing about art (and a lot of other passions) is you don't need a diploma to do it. If you like it, just keep doing it, no matter what else you're doing.

On a side note, if everyone tried to do what they actually wanted to do, we would witness the collapse of society. It might be fun in its own way!

I wish I have a talent at making my moola multiply.

I guess I'll just make to settle for music and art.

People make millions selling music and art.

There is no thing such as "being born with a talent for this and that". Everything that we learn comes from life experience. We choose what we want to perfect ourselves in.

You said that you marvel at things made by others. Use this as an inspiration. After all, no one is born with knowledge. Learn from others, use their works as principle and the rest comes by itself with practice. =)

Argent said:
There is no thing such as "being born with a talent for this and that". Everything that we learn comes from life experience. We choose what we want to perfect ourselves in.

You said that you marvel at things made by others. Use this as an inspiration. After all, no one is born with knowledge. Learn from others, use their works as principle and the rest comes by itself with practice. =)

Do you also believe, then, that tall people have no advantage in basketball?

Genetics impacts many things; intelligence and skill have a certain genetic component. Whether the environment and experience has as much or more influence, though, is a subject worthwhile of consideration.

IgnoredOne said:
Do you also believe, then, that tall people have no advantage in basketball?

Genetics impacts many things; intelligence and skill have a certain genetic component. Whether the environment and experience has as much or more influence, though, is a subject worthwhile of consideration.

If a tall man has no interest in playing basketball then he/she is useless in that field because he/she has no skill (I am such a case.) Short people can play basketball too, take Prince or Spud Webb for example.

Everyone (almost, I mean for normal people) can do everything they want, all that is needed is interest, will and motivation to do it.

Yes, but for the same X of effort, would he gain the same degree in skill? I don't believe so.

That said, I generally agree that people are flexible and while we might not be able to do something as well as someone else, we can all gain a great deal of competence if we apply ourselves. And yes, nothing is more common than wasted talent - I honestly believe that talent is only a starting point, or possibly a force multiplier. But will and drive are yes, far more important.

Latest posts

Back