Growing old is a *****...

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedgresham

Writer, Thinker, Trouble Maker
Reaction score
It appears that the vast majority of people on this forum are young. That could be because my age group is not quite as net savvy and my parents' generation are still confused. Or it could be that our messed up world generates more lonely people. It's hard to tell because most people don't put their age on their profile.

I would have been at home on a place like this thirty years ago. I've known lonely for a long time. Most younger folks grow out of their angst. Some of us are not so lucky. For some this loneliness is a passing phase, a learning process. For others, like me, it is our only reality.

I have lived long enough to know I'm not alone "in the world." I've seen a number of people like me go down in flames from a distance. I've bounced off a few here and there. I don't need to be validated. I know who I am. I'm not interested in finding questions, some of which I know there are no answer for. I'm not all that interested in long-distance conversations that only leave one frustrated and alone once the long-distance friend signs off for the day or, as very often happens, disappears forever. Been there, done that. I'm interested in finding a real flesh and blood friend, or two, with whom I can share coffee (or beer, or booze), conversation, and companionship.

Growing old is a *****, like I said. It'd be good if I could find that friend somewhere hidden in these horrid trees of East Texas, the friend who maybe understands this road and has walked it as long as I. I'm not averse to friends younger than I, either, I could listen to their stories and share my pseudo-wisdom of the ages... or just talk bullshit. But either way, my arrival here was the result of an endless search to find That Person, the rare square peg in this world of religious round holes, that goat hidden in a bush avoiding the sheep who hold the noose....

If you're out there, you are not alone. I am here. Let's talk.

You know, people come and go. Gotta learn to appreciate what you have.

Long distance friends are friends too.

SophiaGrace said:

This is true, and I do. Kind'a hard to send a cup of coffee through a chat box or email a hug, though. Still, sure, I gots enuf luv to spread some around in cyberland. (*_*)

PS: I'm tryin' to be funny. Is it working?

tedgresham said:
PS: I'm tryin' to be funny. Is it working?

f_minusm_906c16a.gif
Well that line worked for me :)

Welcome to the site. I hope that by being here, your exposure to people will help you to realize that many people are not quite the ignorant monsters you deem them to be, and that you will learn to open yourself up to the world and possibilities around you. Namaste!

nerdygirl said:
Welcome to the site. I hope that by being here, your exposure to people will help you to realize that many people are not quite the ignorant monsters you deem them to be, and that you will learn to open yourself up to the world and possibilities around you. Namaste!

One can only hope, right?

...ya know, I'm sure there are, numerically speaking, "many people" who are not "ignorant monsters." I've met a few. As I look around this board, though, it seems there are many who are and who have sent many people seeking this board for help. Some are monsters by choice, some by default (genetic), and some who may not be the bully but are the thirty people looking out their windows while the bully beats some poor schmuck half to death. I have stories.

tedgresham said:
SophiaGrace said:

This is true, and I do. Kind'a hard to send a cup of coffee through a chat box or email a hug, though.

just wait a couple years, they probably got someone working on that right now.

RJLJD said:
tedgresham said:
SophiaGrace said:

This is true, and I do. Kind'a hard to send a cup of coffee through a chat box or email a hug, though.

just wait a couple years, they probably got someone working on that right now.

I can't wait 'till they have transporters and replicators!

It seems people are becoming emotionless automatons as technology progresses. A simple phone call to see how someone is doing, has been replaced by texting or writing a quick "what's up" on their facebook wall. Though it gives us the ability to keep in touch easier, and answer at our leisure not catching us at a inopportune time, we're also loosing that personal connection. We're forcing ourselves into loneliness, by sitting behind our computer screens to chat with people we yearn to have a connection with in text.

Jilted John said:
Just watch your step Whippersnapper! I'm the old fart round here!

Are ya now? It's good to know there's a few around here educated in the school of hard knocks.

Sci-Fi said:
It seems people are becoming emotionless automatons as technology progresses. A simple phone call to see how someone is doing, has been replaced by texting or writing a quick "what's up" on their facebook wall. Though it gives us the ability to keep in touch easier, and answer at our leisure not catching us at a inopportune time, we're also loosing that personal connection. We're forcing ourselves into loneliness, by sitting behind our computer screens to chat with people we yearn to have a connection with in text.
I agree completely.

tedgresham said:
I have lived long enough to know I'm not alone "in the world." I've seen a number of people like me go down in flames from a distance. I've bounced off a few here and there. I don't need to be validated. I know who I am. I'm not interested in finding questions, some of which I know there are no answer for. I'm not all that interested in long-distance conversations that only leave one frustrated and alone once the long-distance friend signs off for the day or, as very often happens, disappears forever. Been there, done that. I'm interested in finding a real flesh and blood friend, or two, with whom I can share coffee (or beer, or booze), conversation, and companionship.

I've met a number of real-life friends initially online; not to mention even some girlfriends(including my current one). People are capable of travel, after all.

IgnoredOne said:
tedgresham said:

I've met a number of real-life friends initially online; not to mention even some girlfriends(including my current one). People are capable of travel, after all.

I have as well. And I have friends a couple hundred miles away. Unfortunately both they and I are too broke to buy gas. I am open to any relationship, certainly, but i still dare hope for someone close enough that neither one of us has to drive far.

tedgresham said:
IgnoredOne said:
tedgresham said:

I have as well. And I have friends a couple hundred miles away. Unfortunately both they and I are too broke to buy gas. I am open to any relationship, certainly, but i still dare hope for someone close enough that neither one of us has to drive far.

That is an excellent example of how resources increase options, as per our other thread.

Jilted John said:
And I thought all the hippies were dead.I always had a soft spot for them.Totally nuts but friendly souls.

No, man, we're not dead, we just hide in the back corners of bars behind all the mosh-pit kids at heavy metal concerts. lol Still totally nuts, though. And still friendly!

some of the answers here seem somewhat pegorative.that's why i often hesitate to post.often people read things into posts that were not intended.i'm older and have been lonely but it's not because i think people are bad as one person suggested.also there does seem to be an age animus here sometimes.

Latest posts

Back