Your favourite films?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSolitaryMan

Reaction score
I expect someone's probably done this in the past, but as a DVD addict I thought I'd ask around :p

I'm generally into the more psychological Thriller sorts of films, but I'll watch anything if it's well made really.

Recently I saw Michael Mann's "Heat" and this was after I saw "Collateral", his more recent thriller. I really enjoyed both films, he seems to have a real talent for making both the hero of the plot and the villain equally relatable and sympathetic, which is an ability that I think really drives up the tension.

I think The Shawshank Redemption has to be my absolute favourite film, it's just so uplifting at the end and provides a really solid narrative with so many interesting characters.

Fargo and No Country For Old Men are also up there in my faves, along with Gladiator, The Usual Suspects and the LoTR films.

I thought The Blair Witch Project was a very neat horror for the budget it was filmed on and a lot scarier than your usual gore-fest type shocker.

For comedies, I have to say I was pleasantly surprised by Blades of Glory. I thought that film would be crap, but I laughed at it enough for it to go in my movie collection :D

How about everyone else? Any films that really stand out to you?

The Shawshank Redemption is a weird film but yeah its brilliant.

I really like the films "The Wave" & "Little Otik". Neither are English language films. I don't tend to watch that many foreign films. I'd be interested if anybody else has seen them.

Also some time ago an ex was watching the first part of Kill Bill I was so squeamish about it and was hiding in the bathroom asking "when can I look". Then recently I sat and watched both parts and it didn't bother me at all and I LOVED it and would now say its one of my faves. What happened to make me fine with it I'll never know.

It's becoming more and more difficult to recall some of my favorite movies. :( I'll just list 10 lines of my favorite heavy hitters.

Star Wars OT
Indiana Jones OT
old Disney films (Lion, Aladdin, Rescuers, Snow, Cinder, Great Mouse Detective, Mermaid, etc.)
Classic Jame Bond movies
Willow
Bram Stoker's Dracula
The Count of Monte Cristo (2002)
A Beautiful Mind
Amelie
Big Trouble In Little China

I'm a big sci-fi fan but not the horror stuff. ewe. I'm an old Trekkie, too. My favorites though? iRobot. When Sonny the robot says, "what am I," I go, "yeah, me too." And South Pacific, a classic that has a very good thread in it about how stupid prejudice is. The Fifth Element because... I don't know why but I and my kids can quote the whole thing... "t.t.t.tellll her Corbin... " ha. And Six Days And Seven Nights. Deserted island with Anne Heche, .... yeah, weird but what can I say.

GHOST WORLD - because i can really relate to enid.

LONESOME JIM

THE RAGING BULL

BAD SANTA

ART SCHOOL CONFIDENTIAL

annik said:
I really like the films "The Wave" & "Little Otik". Neither are English language films. I don't tend to watch that many foreign films. I'd be interested if anybody else has seen them.

I haven't, but they sound interesting. "The Wave" sounds like it may have been inspired by Zimbardo's prison/school experiment.

Minus said:
I haven't, but they sound interesting. "The Wave" sounds like it may have been inspired by Zimbardo's prison/school experiment.

They are both the best films!
I think it was inspired by that. Or at least a book that was based on the experiment. I looked into it a bit after I watched the film. It's very powerful and the ending is just well magnificent. I was blown away.

annik said:
Minus said:

I think it was inspired by that. Or at least a book that was based on the experiment. I looked into it a bit after I watched the film. It's very powerful and the ending is just well magnificent. I was blown away.

I love The Wave :) Little Otik is scary, yet lovely made

nietzsche said:
annik said:
Minus said:

I love The Wave :) Little Otik is scary, yet lovely made

Yay! :D I remember watching Little Otik really late one night in bed. I thought it was the weirdest thing I'd ever seen but just so unique and wonderful. I don't remember finding it scary which is strange as I have no tolerance for horror really.

Latest posts

Back