Are Today's Methods Of Treatment For Mental Illness Enough?

Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum

Help Support Loneliness, Depression & Relationship Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneKiller

Reaction score
Do you find today's methods of treatment for mental disorders needs much more work? Do you think that more medication would be the answer, or less medication? Perhaps no medication at all?

Do you feel that some of today's psychotherapists just feel overwhelmed and throw medication at the problem because their roster is so big that they simply haven't got the time to work it out via talk therapy?

I remember when I went to a psychiatrist once, and on his desk were what had to be tons of case files below mine.

LoneKiller said:
Do you find today's methods of treatment for mental disorders needs much more work? Do you think that more medication would be the answer, or less medication? Perhaps no medication at all?

Do you feel that some of today's psychotherapists just feel overwhelmed and throw medication at the problem because their roster is so big that they simply haven't got the time to work it out via talk therapy?

I remember when I went to a psychiatrist once, and on his desk were what had to be tons of case files below mine.

When we were foster parents we were required to take our kids to counselors. It was a total waste of time. Later on we sent our oldest to a counselor. Again a waste of time. Her counselor gave her a WRITTEN test to determine her condition. Duh. My daughter was so far behind in learning she was at a grade school level. She was not capable of understanding the questions at all. And she had no motivation to try. So, they diagnosed bi-polar, the catch all. She was so NOT bipolar. They gave her those expensive meds that were a waste of time. She has attachment disorder. But medicaid does not pay for intensive interviews or adequate evaluations.

I discovered the hard way that counselors are often spies for CPS. I pissed one off because she did some very unethical things and she made some honeysuckle up and got us investigated. It was all bullshit and was all dismissed but was a pain to go through the process.

My boy freaked out last year. We had to take him to an ER. Without any knowledge of him or his background they looked at his actions and prescribed some heavy duty meds that messed him up worse. We took him to another shrink who saw him fifteen minutes at a visit and just kept up the meds. Then we switched to another shrink and he continued the meds "because I do not know his condition yet." Ugh. I put my foot down after a couple months and had him taken off the junk. Now we go every three months simply to get some stuff to help him concentrate at school.

I went to a VA shrink because I was nucking futs, paranoid, etc... The shrink sat me in front of a computer and I took a written test too. Then she talked with me and it did nothing. I did some research myself and figured out it was the codeine I was on that was the problem. The shrink knew my meds but never even mentioned that I was suffering from side effects of the drug. Duh. I quit the shrink and stepped myself off codeine. Problem solved.

My view, people waste thousands on useless mental health services. A good counselor, quite rare around here, is one who helps someone figure themselves out and is able to correctly diagnose a problem or problems. Drugs might be needed sometimes but if someone can't learn to cope at a certain level on their own they'll never be able to survive in the real world.

Too long of an answer? Oh well... *sigh*

tedgresham said:
LoneKiller said:

When we were foster parents we were required to take our kids to counselors. It was a total waste of time. Later on we sent our oldest to a counselor. Again a waste of time. Her counselor gave her a WRITTEN test to determine her condition. Duh. My daughter was so far behind in learning she was at a grade school level. She was not capable of understanding the questions at all. And she had no motivation to try. So, they diagnosed bi-polar, the catch all. She was so NOT bipolar. They gave her those expensive meds that were a waste of time. She has attachment disorder. But medicaid does not pay for intensive interviews or adequate evaluations.

I discovered the hard way that counselors are often spies for CPS. I pissed one off because she did some very unethical things and she made some honeysuckle up and got us investigated. It was all bullshit and was all dismissed but was a pain to go through the process.

My boy freaked out last year. We had to take him to an ER. Without any knowledge of him or his background they looked at his actions and prescribed some heavy duty meds that messed him up worse. We took him to another shrink who saw him fifteen minutes at a visit and just kept up the meds. Then we switched to another shrink and he continued the meds "because I do not know his condition yet." Ugh. I put my foot down after a couple months and had him taken off the junk. Now we go every three months simply to get some stuff to help him concentrate at school.

I went to a VA shrink because I was nucking futs, paranoid, etc... The shrink sat me in front of a computer and I took a written test too. Then she talked with me and it did nothing. I did some research myself and figured out it was the codeine I was on that was the problem. The shrink knew my meds but never even mentioned that I was suffering from side effects of the drug. Duh. I quit the shrink and stepped myself off codeine. Problem solved.

My view, people waste thousands on useless mental health services. A good counselor, quite rare around here, is one who helps someone figure themselves out and is able to correctly diagnose a problem or problems. Drugs might be needed sometimes but if someone can't learn to cope at a certain level on their own they'll never be able to survive in the real world.

Too long of an answer? Oh well... *sigh*
Hi tedgreshame.:)

Far too many people think that medication is a "Cure-All". It's been my experience that you have to work with it. If someone ever invented a medication like that, he or she would be the richest person on Earth.

This seems related to what I just posted in ted's thread.

Firstly, I'm not a psychiatrist. The whole field of mental illness treatment is enormous and very, very varied. No two cases can really be "the same".

I think in general, mental illness treatments tend to progress as our knowledge of the brain does. It's as simple as that. It's not to do with one particular group of people being inept or lazy or short-sighted. It's to do with the whole progress of human understanding.

Right now, even with our technology becoming more advanced at a vast rate, the top neuroscientists struggle to unravel everything the brain is capable of and even how it works. There are books full of stuff we do know, but invisible freaking libraries full of stuff that we don't.

Current drugs, from what I've heard, tend to take the sledgehammer approach to mental illness. Some genuinely do seem to have the finesse needed to make the life of mentally ill patients better, but ultimately our understanding of the brain is not great enough to create medicines that can just hit the causes of many disorders with the accuracy needed.

Things have progressed immeasurably since the horribly cruel days where people were just surgically destroyed with lobotomy or doped up to the eyeballs on sedatives 24/7, but I think we have a long way to go before we can genuinely help people as opposed to just saying "Yup, X has got a problem, give him Y because it might help a little bit."

In short: Once we understand, we can treat things. Until then, it's going to be nigh on impossible to achieve blanket effective treatment for complex ailments like mental illness, genetic disorders and cancer.

If you don't understand the biological targets that cause a certain problem, you simply can't treat it.

TheSolitaryMan said:

Firstly, I'm not a psychiatrist. The whole field of mental illness treatment is enormous and very, very varied. No two cases can really be "the same".

I think in general, mental illness treatments tend to progress as our knowledge of the brain does. It's as simple as that. It's not to do with one particular group of people being inept or lazy or short-sighted. It's to do with the whole progress of human understanding.

Right now, even with our technology becoming more advanced at a vast rate, the top neuroscientists struggle to unravel everything the brain is capable of and even how it works. There are books full of stuff we do know, but invisible freaking libraries full of stuff that we don't.

Current drugs, from what I've heard, tend to take the sledgehammer approach to mental illness. Some genuinely do seem to have the finesse needed to make the life of mentally ill patients better, but ultimately our understanding of the brain is not great enough to create medicines that can just hit the causes of many disorders with the accuracy needed.

Things have progressed immeasurably since the horribly cruel days where people were just surgically destroyed with lobotomy or doped up to the eyeballs on sedatives 24/7, but I think we have a long way to go before we can genuinely help people as opposed to just saying "Yup, X has got a problem, give him Y because it might help a little bit."

In short: Once we understand, we can treat things. Until then, it's going to be nigh on impossible to achieve blanket effective treatment for complex ailments like mental illness, genetic disorders and cancer.

If you don't understand the biological targets that cause a certain problem, you simply can't treat it.

I agree. All I have to go on is my research and experiences, mostly the latter. Many, probably most, mental disorders are either genetic or developed because of circumstances, or both. Rather than trying to "fix" disorders the challenge should be on precise, and correct, diagnosis and developing ways for the person to either recover or cope. My oldest lived in hell for twelve years. Her brain was so messed up by that she will never recover. My boy was in the same hell for three years. He has recovered pretty much from the abuse but the genetic stuff remains. My little girl was too small to have suffered much except for physical neglect and she's way past that now. But she has some of the same attitudes and proclivities as her siblings.

For all three of my kids no counseling or pills in the world will make them productive adults. It takes full time attention, a mixture of understanding, love, and appropriate discipline from parents who care and pay attention to them and teaching them how to overcome some of the things their brain says that is not good for them.

My wife has an aunt with six foster/adopt kids. They are all holy terrors. They all go to counselors and doctors all the time and are all on some kind of meds. It ain't working. My little kids are as close to perfect as can be (I'm prejudiced of course, lol), loving, respectful, because we've taken the time to be with them and never took the advice of some "professional" who saw them a few minutes here and there and pronounced sentence... I mean diagnosis. The older one was too far gone to reach when she came here. She had already retreated into her little box and nobody could get in there. She ran off to live the life her birth mother lived. No "professional" ever recognized her problems or even came close to helping her before it became too late.

I haven't had all that much personal experience with the methods of treatment, but enough? Doubt it. From what I gather, mental illnesses are just as subject to the usual 'we got a medical product for what ails ya' mentality doctors today seem to have.

Still, beats prepanation, leeches and electroshock therapy.

I agree with what the solitary man said. There's so much we don't know yet about the brain.

I must confess that I haven't read all the posts in this thread because I'm feeling a bit unwell so sorry if any of this has been covered.

As soon as I saw the title of this thread though I knew I wanted to say that while today's methods aren't perfect and I myself have had some bad experiences I think maybe they are an improvement on the past.

I recently discovered when my nana died that my grandad had a series of operations on his brain in the 40s / 50s due to I think depression. That was the go to method. Just removing parts of the brain and probably doing more damage than good. I don't know all the facts because its a hard thing to discuss but I know my dad lost out on his father for long periods of time and it's only now he's realising what a great man he was and how he was often unfair to him.

It also makes me look at my own depression in a new way thinking it went far back in my family. It was a painful discovery.

It's different for everyone.

And yes..it's a multy billion dallor industries. My ex-gf pysh meds was almost $2000
per month. Then **** doctor gave her more. You do the math.
Poeple had been getting rich off of this honeysuckle for decades...

She's ok when she's on it...but she gose into a major, major depression without
them...worst then she was before when she started taking those meds.

My finace is going through the samething...The doctors bascially only
talks to her for 5- mins then just writes her a persciption.
The next you knows she's hooked on them or worst than she was.

She trying to cut down on them...but still isnt sure what meds will help her.
She's not a professional...but some doctors are just pushers in a white suit.
We all know this.

I chose not to take meds...cuase once upon a time I was a prozac baby.
I bascailly walked around like a fucken zombie all day.
I went threw crazy withdraws...

I chose the spiritual and educating myself to how my mind works
and deciplining my mind. Being positive...etc..etc.
Allowing myself to feel good.
Eating good , exercizing, a good night rest...ect
All these healty things healthy poeple do to maintain good mental healht and
a happier life.

Rather than having that instant gradifications of feel good for a while but
go through fresia up withdraws and side effects from drugs.

My mental illness isnt so much of an illness.
It's fucken mental laziness, lack of discipline or laziness in general.

Stupid honeysuckle like...reprogramming my mind and letting go of negative idea and beliefs.
Reconditioning my mind. Paint my mind with happy thougths and feelings.
It's actually simple honeysuckle and it actaully gets easier and eaier as you go....No fucken side effects or withdraws.
Who in the hell wants to do that honeysuckle?..Work on themselves, improve themsleve?
Easier to just pop the fucken pills and blame the world for whatever the fresia...

Seems to me we're still in the stone age of mental health treatment. I can imagine it taking another 100 years for a truly good antidepressant to be invented.

TheSolitaryMan said:

This.

Latest posts

Back